586,277 active members*
3,285 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Anyone ever use this PS from LightObject.com? JLD150WPS

My prior non-working power supply was replaced with this one:

http://www.lightobject.com/100W150W-...upply-P74.aspx

...and it does practically nothing except spin it's fans when power is applied.

The connector is identical to the 80W version from the same vendor, and at least that one put out some power, but not enough to make the tube practically useful.

This particular one, unlike the image, has three LEDs on it. None of them light.

This can't be this hard. Grrr...

I imagine I should see at least one LED at power up, another when the trigger activates, and the third one? ... open protection circuit indicator? The manual they offer, though it says for "all" power supplies, itself is labeled for the 80W model. No mention of LED/indicators at all.

What support did 'LightObject' provide?

The PSU may be functional but not seeing the correct OK signal from the water flow switch, I believe it needs to ground pin 3 (so you could short it to pin 4 to check).

Is the input signal functioning correctly? (TTL/Analog).

Zax.

http://www.lightobject.info/download/file.php?id=32

PHP Code:
            1    2    3    4    5    6
            TH   TL   WP   G    IN   5V 
    I have a pot across (G) 4 and (5V) 6 with the wiper on (IN) 5.

A manual trigger on (TH) 1 to (5V) 6

Protection is (WP) 3 to (G) 4

TTL Trigger is (TH) 1 to (G) 4

Nothing is on (TL) 2.

But even the other PSU that I turn on and not do anything with, at least has a power indicator showing. This one does nothing except spin fans.

The water pump is either the switch or a dummy plug.

You have the tube hooked up too, right?

If so, the connections are ok so it sounds like you have a problem with the unit.

Contact 'LightObject' and get a replacement or see what advice he can offer.

Zax.

..and the tube is oriented correctly.

This was a replacement for an 80W that barely puts out 5mA, just enough to fire the tube. I can fool around with paper in the beam as long as I don't stop moving it, nothing burns.

I put that power supply back inline with the same control box and it does as usual.

I have to say reading through here, it sure seems like par for the course that one has to get one or two bad power supplies before something works.

The objective of the query was if there was some "trick" to this thing, seems like there isn't other than that "QA" slip in the box could have been faked.

Two power supplies in a week..

Well ..

I was instructed to take the top off and check a connector.

I wanted to do that, but wasn't going to break anyones seal until they said to do it.

It wasn't loose, but it was obvious it had been off in the past.

So, why is it that these things look like they were built by Mad Max.. dusty, stripped heads on the screws, flux and evidence of re-work everywhere.

Amazing.

Do they burn them in for the 48 hours in the Gobi Desert during wind storms?

;-)

Quote Originally Posted by tdiaz View Post
    Well ..

I was instructed to take the top off and check a connector.

I wanted to do that, but wasn't going to break anyones seal until they said to do it.

It wasn't loose, but it was obvious it had been off in the past.

So, why is it that these things look like they were built by Mad Max.. dusty, stripped heads on the screws, flux and evidence of re-work everywhere.

Amazing.

Do they burn them in for the 48 hours in the Gobi Desert during wind storms?

;-)

1 2 3 4 5 6
    TH TL WP G IN 5V

To test it (in full power), short #5(IN) to 5V, Ground #3(WP).
    To fire it, add a push button across #1 and #6 (left TL unconnected, it's for active LOW to fire ).That's it!

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by tdiaz View Post
    http://www.lightobject.info/download/file.php?id=32

PHP Code:
            1    2    3    4    5    6
            TH   TL   WP   G    IN   5V 
    I have a pot across (G) 4 and (5V) 6 with the wiper on (IN) 5.

A manual trigger on (TH) 1 to (5V) 6

Protection is (WP) 3 to (G) 4

TTL Trigger is (TH) 1 to (G) 4

Nothing is on (TL) 2.

But even the other PSU that I turn on and not do anything with, at least has a power indicator showing. This one does nothing except spin fans.

The water pump is either the switch or a dummy plug.

"TTL Trigger is (TH) 1 to (G) 4"
    This is WRONG! You're shutting down the PS

The wiring is correct, I may have interpreted it wrong as I tried to draw it. It came from someone who sells quite a bit of these, in the end, I had to take the top off this one, too- and yanking and replacing the connector on the PCB made it come to life. Thats all. Seems really strange that this is a common factor here. The inside of this one, too, was covered in fine dust and the leading edges of the fans had a fine coating, hence furthering my comment that while they may indeed be burned in for 48 hours, it must take place in a blinding dust storm in the Gobi desert.

Sorry, but thats just the way I see it, after having two shipped to me, the prior one was definitely not working fully, it only put out about 10% power and made an arcing sound when doing it.

tdiaz,

Re-check your wiring as LO suggested. You have the pot and manual trigger wired correctly but if you also have the trigger (1) to ground (5) it defeats the operation.

Zax.