586,409 active members*
3,095 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Gasket punch

Gasket punch

Hey guys, just noticed that there is a forum here for this type of thing. Wish i would have know that before. Anyways, I had the job of creating a hand powered punch to make 3/4" holes in 1/8" thick neoprene rubber today. The handles should be a few inches longer. What else would you suggest to make this a nice tool to use?

It works well. Die is hardened O1 tool steel, fully hardened. I've ground a fine edge on the cutter, even though it looks like .... in these pics. The other side is HDPE plastic.

Paul
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN2225.JPG   DSCN2226.JPG   DSCN2227.JPG   DSCN2229.JPG  

DSCN2230.JPG  

looks good , how bout using some of that tool dip to soften up the handle for comfort sake , something like this stuff http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/000210.php
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Yeah, Rona sells Plasi-Dip, only place in Canada that I know of. I have some, but it's at the lake. Besides, to do a good job of it, a couple coats per day max. This tool is signed up for service tomorrow morning. Plasti-dip is fun to use though.... Even the wiener sticks have rubber handles now...

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by fatal-exception View Post
    .... Even the wiener sticks have rubber handles now...

Paul
    thats why I haven't bought any of that stuff yet because i know i'll go nuts with the stuff ,
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Do I have any suggestions?

1) Wire spring preloaded to return the tool to the "open" position

2) Testing the tool on something other than the blueprints unless that's supposed to be a "witness mark" for future reference.

3) If you find the die dull after 50,000 cycles you may want to use A-2 over 0-1 (I'm not serious here)

It looks fine enough but like the others have stated, coat the handles for comfortable use. I presume there's already slug clearance so you don't get stacking?