586,076 active members*
3,952 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

1995 4020HT lube?

I have a 1995 4020HT with rigid tap, 20hp, 10k rpm, 88HS... I dont have a manual - got a warning that the spindle lube is low - so I checked - yep...low...also the coolant Dowfrost is low...

Anyone have a source for spindle lube? Is it something I can x-ref with a readily available lube?

Many thanks!

lube

post a picture of the spindle lube pump there is an old style and a new style that this machine may have been updated to.

Ok thanks will do in the AM.

Thanks again!

Here is the pic of my lube system.

Thanks

lube

That is your waylube pump you can use mobil vactra2,shell tonna 68v,or castrol magna bd68.that is what is listed in the manual.some machines have another pump above the waylube pump for the spindle if it has an air/oil type spindle that is why i wanted the pic.the message you got about spindle lube is a generic message.make sure the waylube pump goes to 250-400 lbs.on the gauge when it cycles and holds it for 10 seconds any less pressure and it will not lube properly,if this happens post it.for the dowfrost leaks check for discoloration or rust at the end of the screws by the motors,around the spindle and the inline sensor under the rear cabinet,also check for leaks around the pump,i use food coloring(baking isle at the local grocery store) in the dowfrost to help find small leaks get a color the will show good in your coolant.

Quote Originally Posted by alex gitzel View Post
    That is your waylube pump you can use mobil vactra2,shell tonna 68v,or castrol magna bd68.that is what is listed in the manual.some machines have another pump above the waylube pump for the spindle if it has an air/oil type spindle that is why i wanted the pic.the message you got about spindle lube is a generic message.make sure the waylube pump goes to 250-400 lbs.on the gauge when it cycles and holds it for 10 seconds any less pressure and it will not lube properly,if this happens post it.for the dowfrost leaks check for discoloration or rust at the end of the screws by the motors,around the spindle and the inline sensor under the rear cabinet,also check for leaks around the pump,i use food coloring(baking isle at the local grocery store) in the dowfrost to help find small leaks get a color the will show good in your coolant.
    I thank you for the info!! I checked and when it cycles it goes to 400psi but only for a few seconds...not quite 10....but it does get to pressure...

Thanks for the pointers and tips - I dont have a manual on the machine but have learned how to run it and successfully make parts - this was the first error I have gotten to date.... Lucky for me it powered up after installing (purchased at auction at a smokin price)...

The dowfrost is a bit low in the tank I will possibly add to it, and start checking for leaks.

Thanks again!
    Erik

manuals

you can go to fadal.com and download the machine manuals for free it is under service and the documentation support the 88hs legacy control is on the bottom of the page.mark your dowfrost tank and see if it goes down after a few days.the waylube is ok if it gets to pressure and holds,if it drops right away thats not good ,3-10 seconds should be ok.your first sign of lube trouble is that it will stop dripping down from z on the y cover.it is also a very good idea to drop the waylube tank once a year and clean the sludge out,and clean the screen on the bottom of the pump if needed,also clean out the filter.i would drop the tank soon so you know what you have,put your finger in and feel if there is any sludge.i have seen many pumps fail due to sludge.you may also want to peek under the covers to check for lube being that this is a new to you machine.