586,313 active members*
3,582 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Touch Up Paint for Tormach Machine & Stand

Touch Up Paint for Tormach Machine & Stand

Not sure if the paint is the same for everyones machine & stand, but thought I'd share the numbers for the touch up paint. Spent a few hours with one of the paint workers and got it almost perfect. Purchased from home depot, oil base paint.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...1&d=1270603936

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Glidden Ultra Hide 3518 Oil:ALKYD Gloss Paint.jpg   Tormach Touch Up Dark Paint.jpg   Tormach Touch Up Light Grey Paint.jpg  

What was the approximate cost of the paint?

Touch up

I use coolant stains and chips to hide any paint imperfections.
    RAD. Yes those are my initials. Idea, design, build, use. It never ends.
    PCNC1100 Series II, w/S3 upgrade, PDB, ATC & 4th's, PCNC1100 Series II, 4th

I think they were $21 or so each.

"I use coolant stains and chips to hide any paint imperfections"

Haha. Watch out for that rust

Quote Originally Posted by twocik View Post
    I think they were $21 or so each.
    That's a pretty good price - ISTR paying $60+ for a gallon of custom mixed Benjamin Moore alkyd enamel paint a few years back. Thanks for posting the info on formula and price.

Mike

FYI... Went to Home Depot today. and they don't sell that paint any more

Most quality paint dealers can match colors if you can provide a sample. One the stepper coupling housing covers would be a good candidate.

I did that for the chip pan on my Clausing 8520 knee mill and the new paint is virtually indistinguishable in color from the original color on nearby parts.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    Most quality paint dealers can match colors if you can provide a sample. One the stepper coupling housing covers would be a good candidate.

I did that for the chip pan on my Clausing 8520 knee mill and the new paint is virtually indistinguishable in color from the original color on nearby parts.

Mike
    Good idea... I have one of the small covers off.. will do for the base too. I asked Lowes, and they said they can tint oil based stuff too....

Have you seen this thread http://www.cnczone.com/forums/tormac...face_lift.html I got the paint at Tractor Supply almost a perfect match.

Scott
    www.sdmfabricating.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_M View Post
    Have you seen this thread http://www.cnczone.com/forums/tormac...face_lift.html I got the paint at Tractor Supply almost a perfect match.

Scott
    THanks Scott. I called TSC and they stopped selling the brand, though they had a different one, but only in spray..... Looks like I'll just go the mix route..

Thanks.

I typed in "ford gray paint" into TSC's search box and found this.
    Tractor Supply - Search Results for ford gray paint

A different brand but still the right color. Maybe buy a rattle can for $5.00 and see if it is close in color.

Scott
    www.sdmfabricating.com

If you go past a TSC, drop in and see if they have any of the old stuff on sale. They were blowing it out at my local store a month or so ago.

The TSC supply of Valspar is dwindling quickly. They have replaced it with Majik brand oil-based enamel (though soybean oil in Majik's case), which sounds on first blush to be very similar--it also has an available isocyanate hardener. My "local" TSC has the full range of Majik enamels, including primer, in quarts, gallons and spray cans.

Valspar has not discontinued their Tractor and Implement paint. I spoke with a guy at Valspar customer service (1-800-845-9061) this afternoon and they will give you the nearest dealer to your zip code (specifically for the Tractor paint, information which is not available through their website). For instance, in the D/FW metropolitan area there is a single dealer now (Nuts and Bolts Hardware in Arlington, to be specific).

Randy (who has a vested interest because I am restoring an old bandsaw and got worried that the Valspar would become an eBay collectible soon before I got a chance to buy what I needed... )

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_M View Post
    I typed in "ford gray paint" into TSC's search box and found this.
    Tractor Supply - Search Results for ford gray paint

A different brand but still the right color. Maybe buy a rattle can for $5.00 and see if it is close in color.

Scott
    I bought two rattle cans at TSC this weekend, matches pretty close to my 2008 Series II chip pan. Not quick dry paint,like Krylon.

It all comes off, might have to upgrade to SS sheeting....

I'm going to take a week off next month and take my splash guard off and have it powder coated. Then the paint will stay on.

Now, every time I blow chips out, I remove a little more paint.

My Haas didn't do that, but my Tormach didn't cost $75,000.00.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Re-Painting

While this thread is directed towards touch ups, I thought I would relate my experience with re-painting.

I finally acquired an industrial/automotive rust paint called POR-15 ($70.00 per US quart, in Canada). It is routinely used for painting restored rusted car chassis and industrial equipment.

For preparation it called for fully stripping to bare metal and NOT priming. I took all the large pieces and had them sandblasted while I did the smaller brackets and such myself. Of course one only reads the fine print when all else fails. I used lacquer thinners to clean the tray and proceeded to spray it. Lo and behold I ended up with little black spots where the paint simply would not adhere. Read the instructions again and discover that a NON solvent water based degreaser is recommended. Of course they have their own at an atrocious price. Long story short, after 3 coats it wasn’t bad.

I also brush painted a small piece of metal and set it aside (more below).

Drying time is 9 hours (after which time they claim there is no solvent that can be used to remove) and the finished product is all but indestructible. They warn you that when you replace the lid on the can, the groove MUST be free of paint, otherwise you will not be able to remove it. No **** Sherlock. The groove was meticulously cleaned but I did not notice a liitle paint on the edge of the lid. The next day I tried to open it. Ten minutes later with the lid bent beyond repair and the center of the can popped up a ¼ inch or so it was off.

Back to the small piece of metal I painted the previously day. Hammer in hand, I wailed the sample for fair. The result was a few dents but no cracking, peeling etc. This stuff is virtually indestructible. Highly recommend it with the caution that meticulous preparation is mandatory.

Finally took all the large panels (wings, front and back panels) outside and hung them between 2 trees. Sprayed them 3 times with non solvent degreaser and pressure washed.

After through drying, sprayed with 3 light coats within four hours. Machine is re-assembled and I expect that I will never have to repeat.

This particular formulae is NON IV protected (not an issue as it is inside) and available in battleship grey, gloss & semi gloss black. Other colours are available but not sure if they are the same formulae. It has limited distribution so I would suggest trying google to find a local distributor.

John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG00211-20120509-0936.jpg   IMG00348-20120628-1355.jpg   Re-Painted Wings-Back Panel.jpg   IMG00349-20120628-1355.jpg