587,028 active members*
3,564 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 7 of 8 5678
    I have a rev5 board. It has a sig and Vgrd terminal. The sig is connected to A1N and the Vgrd is connected to Com.
    If I disconnect one of the wires from the output relay and give mach3 a m03s1000, the board will not fault and I get a voltage of about 3vdc across sig and Vgrd.
    i_r_
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails screenshot.jpg  

Got frustrated with the spindle speed issue, so I just wired it up to turn on and am using a pot to manually set the speed. I'll revisit the issue at a latter date. All axis but the rotary table are working, I need to get the power connection for that board,(burned the other one up).
    I'm going to pretty some things up and then post some pictures of it.

I want to thank you all for dragging my big butt through this whole project!!!!
    i_r_machinist
    aka
    Kerry Bullard, Dublin Texas

Way to go I_R.

I'll be looking forward to the pics. Can you make a video of it running?

:banana::banana::wee:

JAckal

I looked just like that marshmellow guy dancing around in my shop!
    I'll have to take a shorter video today because I can't upload one I have.

http://bullyztoyz.smugmug.com/Machin...38522141_fi5X2

I have a picture of it running here.
    haveing fun!
    i_r_

Man ,that looks good!!!

It seems like forever away for me, but I'll get there. I just have to start first.

JAckal

Talking

Video loaded! Its the next icon over on the smugmug link.
    I wouldn't hesitate to start, as long as Larry,Al,Bob, and Kieth are around!
    I had a little problem with my y encoder this morning. The ground wire had broken off at the bottom of the pin. I'll play with ramping up feeds and rapids soon.
    Mach3 is almost too easy to run.
    Haveing fun
    i_r_machinist
    PS. The way I started was to disconnect power, drink six adult beverages, then rip out the control! With no way back, the only path is forward!

Kerry,
    That is great!!!! I'm glad to see it running. It's motivating for me.

I also have a little cheat help, too. On another thread where I asked about setting up Vipers, a guy named freak_brain < "Allen" started replying. He has the exact machine (almost) that I have. He said that he would give me his Viper setting and Mach 3 settings, too. It might not be EXACT for my machine, but it would be a good starting point for fine tuning.

Here is the link where Allen comes in.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106639

If this works out ok for me, I know where there is a Wells Index cnc with the kwik switch spindle, that needs retro. Last time I asked he wanted a gold mine for it, though.

Keep posting new stuff.

JAckal :cheers:

Got my waylube wired up last night. Now I need to get my power drawbar working. I have a Blackand decker model 2214 120v ac/dc impact wrench that has 4 wires coming off of it. I need to find a wiring diagram. Will hunt later today but have a high profile job to machine first.

http://bullyztoyz.smugmug.com/Machin...78090126_KeaVa

have fun
    i_r_

I_R_,

Are you using any of the Mach brains? I've been looking at those. They are pretty slick.

JAckal
    Everything is bio-degradable, if you run over it enough times with the lawnmower.

here is a break down of parts for the impact http://www.acetoolrepair.com/parts-b...-type-100.html
    I have a Dewalt for my impact driver.

I found the parts list, but not the wiring diagram. Still looking.
    Haven't played with mach system yet. Did read part of the manual. Looks interesting.
    have fun
    i_r_

Had a little problem with my y encoder last night. I was running a fairlly long program and I noticed the y was not repeating position. It was an engraving with the z stepping down on multiple passes. It looked like it drifted off by about .03". Then on the next pass it was about .1 off so I stopped it. Part didn't move.
    I opened the control and it was hot inside the cabnet. I didn't feel the motor to see if it was hot. I'll try to get my cabnet fans running tonight and try it again.
    i_r_

i_r_,

Sounds like you are chugging right along.

JAckal
    Everything is bio-degradable, if you run over it enough times with the lawnmower.

I ran another long program last night. The Y axis is drifting. Its not the heat in the control cabnet and the motor is warm but not hot. I lost about .2" in 3000 lines of code. I'm not familiar with Mach3. Could this be backlash adding up?
    i_r_

Backlash does not, or should not add up or increase as according to the number of moves, it only happens once and is reversed everytime the axis reverses.
    If the error is incremental it is usually axis scaling.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I put a 6' grounding rod in behind the machine and grounded the body of the machine to it. Looks like that fixed it. Cut my first metal parts last night. 2 hrs cycle time with no errors.
    I'm going to get on the mach3 yahoo group to learn more about it.
    thanks to all!
    i_r_machinist
    PS. Anyone have a good plasma table design? I'm in the market for another project!

Kerry,

Glad you figured that out. Are you running a laptop to control the machine?

JAckal

Mach 3 doesn't like Laptops with the powerdown and sleep modes.
    Your better with a solid desktop with just the basics. Dell or HP are excellent and you should be able to get one in a used computer store for $100-200. Stay away from IBM, their Bios sucks.

Larry,

That's what I've always heard and will do. A few guys are using laptops, but it is sort of hit & miss on which ones will work. I don't want to gamble it.

Those HP small form factor desktop computers are about $50 plus shipping (fleabay). They have everything but the operating system. 1.8GHZ + processors 512M memory, 40 gig hard drive, etc.

We have 2 of them now for office work, surfing, and gaming. They are pretty fast, but probably even faster when stripped down. I'll try one of them first for the mach 3, before I buy another one.

JAckal

Larry,
    What connector do you use for the power in and out of the Viper drives. I need to buy one for my forth axis and Radioshack doesn't have anything that looks like it.
    Thanks
    i_r_
    Jackal
    I'm still stumbling around in Mach3, functional but not fluent.

Page 7 of 8 5678