586,061 active members*
4,413 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

SRAM backup VS System data save

A quick question. If you want to be completly safe on ALL data in your Fanuc machine (battery loss and so on), you should backup what?

I am able to backup SRAM, but also an option appears that is called "System data save".

Does SRAM backup handles everthing ?

Thank you

sram data backup refers to the volatile data and is most important. You can save the system data (from flash) but restoring that requires usually a different
    start up screen, although that screen looks the same.
    So, it does not hurt to backup everything.

just do the sram.. you dont mess with the flash rom..

I have all the procedures for backing up and restoring everything including ladder. Not a big deal at all. Let me know an e-mail and i can get that to you. Keep in mind as you probably already know Fanucs don't like much memory at all for the PCMI cards. To much mem and it wont work. Fanuc recommends nothing over 1mb but i use a 2mb fine but much over this and you will start to have problems when doing backups. What control do you have. Good Luck.

you can use a 4 Mb sram card for all controls- everyone I know uses one without problems.

Anyone know where to get SRAM cards now. I have a couple still, but I know two people looking for them. BTW, i've had some issues with SRAM on the little newer controls. They seem to prefer ATA

By taking backup of sram u are not 100% safe.
    some option bits does not get store in sram back up.
    so have parameter backup also by pressing eob & output start.
    9100 series ................

FLASH

If this is a 16i B or higher CNC, they use FLASH memory cards not SRAM. Fanuc will sell you SRAM, but big $$$. Most places no longer carry the SRAM.
    Depending on the control you may need to save a few other files.
    Save SRAM to PCMCIA. This is battery backed memory. You can save Ladder and executor from System Data save. Newer CNC's will also have Maintenance INFO and Option on the System which should be saved.
    You are always encouraged to backup each file via RS232. It could save your butt. Parameters, PMC Parameters (Ladder data), Programs, Offsets, Work Offsets, Macro Variables and Pitch Error Comp. If Macro Executor is running and has data you may need to save via 232 or document this by hand.

SRAM is the most regular important back up you can do. It saves all the offset, PMC params, macro variables etc which is backed up by battery. The ladder data is saved in the Flash ROM which is non-volatile and which is what you're talking about with the system data. It's always handy to have a backup of this data but if you never change the ladder then you wouldn't need a regular back up.

I always take an annual backup of SRAM, unless I am changing something which could result in potential loss of the data in which case I always backup first...

Also, FANUC recommend using CF over SRAM on 16i B or later as they have had some issues with data corruption apparently. I always use SRAM and never had a problem. CF will work on some Model A controls but it depends on software and motherboard version. Pansonic SRAM 4MB works fine for me and has done for years