586,497 active members*
2,929 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Solidworks > I know SW, but need to learn "drafting" Skills

I know SW, but need to learn "drafting" Skills

Gents, I am an intermediate level SolidWorks user, and have experience only
    doing 3D modeling, no 2D.

I now need to make 2D drawings for work to give to machinists to make parts from. I need to learn more of the basic drafting skills, and tolerances to be able to make quality 2D drawings for machine shops.

Any recommendations on books, online classes or??

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jefftomerlin View Post
    Gents, I am an intermediate level SolidWorks user, and have experience only
    doing 3D modeling, no 2D.

I now need to make 2D drawings for work to give to machinists to make parts from. I need to learn more of the basic drafting skills, and tolerances to be able to make quality 2D drawings for machine shops.

Any recommendations on books, online classes or??

Thanks.
    What version of solidworks are you running? In 2010 just open the tutorials and set one has advanced drawing and detailing. As for the tolerances get the machinists handbook, Marks Mechanical Engineering Handbook and Handbook of Engineering Fundamentals by Eshbach. The later 2 books are really over doing it unless you are doing some real heavy duty stuff. Also look on eBay for some old Drafting books that should get you started.

Quote Originally Posted by foxsquirrel View Post
    What version of solidworks are you running? In 2010 just open the tutorials and set one has advanced drawing and detailing. As for the tolerances get the machinists handbook, Marks Mechanical Engineering Handbook and Handbook of Engineering Fundamentals by Eshbach. The later 2 books are really over doing it unless you are doing some real heavy duty stuff. Also look on eBay for some old Drafting books that should get you started.
    Your community college most likely will have some mechanical drafting classes available for you. Another source would be the public library, there are many fine books available thru this source. And then there are your existing company drawings that can be referenced to become familiar with the particular standards that may be practiced internally.

Note that foxsquirrel mentioned the 2010 tutorials which can give you a good start. All versions of SW have these tutorials so you are not limited to the latest 2010 version.

Personally I would opt for the community college, however as your needs may be immediate this option might not be your first choice.

Good luck, PLCamp

One simple, but handy tip when doing 2D drawings:

A lot of folk get confused which side to place the different views on the paper.

Here's how to immagine it:

Picture looking down at the component in the bottom of a goldfish bowl. Draw that. Immagine sliding it up the left hand side of the bowl. Draw what you see on the left hand side of what you've already drawn. Slide it up the top of the bowl and draw what you see above the first drawing etc.
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Quote Originally Posted by ImanCarrot View Post
    One simple, but handy tip when doing 2D drawings:

A lot of folk get confused which side to place the different views on the paper.

Here's how to immagine it:

Picture looking down at the component in the bottom of a goldfish bowl. Draw that. Immagine sliding it up the left hand side of the bowl. Draw what you see on the left hand side of what you've already drawn. Slide it up the top of the bowl and draw what you see above the first drawing etc.
    fefftomerlin -- Please remember that we use '3rd angle projection' in the US

Arrow

Nice to hear someone actually wants to learn how to make proper drawings.
    Find a copy of "TECHNICAL DRAWINGS" by: Giesecke/Mitchell/Spencer/Hill . I have 5th edition . There are probably newer.
    Penn. State used it for drafting&design courses. I've been at this 40 years engineering and machining and don't think there is better or easier to understand info out there.

What you need to learn is basic drafting skills.

I am going to suggest distancing yourself from the software and focus on drafting as a unique skillset. Once you get confident in drafting abilities then come back to the software and learn to use the tools there.

I would guess your BEST bet to learn drafting is your local community college. What you are looking for is Mechanical Drawing, and Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing, also Blueprint Reading would help to if you are unfamiliar.
    Stuff i can use: AutoCAD 2010, AutoCAD Inventor 2010, Solidworks 2009, MasterCAM X2/X4, CNC's FADAL, and Hurco 3-axis CNC Mill