586,065 active members*
4,642 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > SX3 Z gib proper dimensions???

SX3 Z gib proper dimensions???

I surely hope someone can shed a little light on my situation I have an SX3
    and am having the crappy common Z axis issues
    after removing the gib it did not look in too bad of shape, smooth on one side at least' and straight
    I guess i should start with this the machine was purchased from grizzly but was in an open crate, but it appears that my z gib wont adjust right, if I crank it in balancing turning both the screws together it moves in great but the lower screw rides off the side of the bottom of the gib and the head starts to hesitate when changing direction as well as the gib adjusting screw on the top rocks back and for significantly during direction changes
    I know i know same ol' woes as heard before from many others
    so rather than trying to use shims to fix the problem i decided to mill one from oilite as i already have the stock
    what is the proper angle for the gib i understand that there will be some fitting involved but from searching i find that the long taper is .5 deg and the side tapers are 60 deg but lined up with my 6o deg bevel cutter the angle is just a little off

I missed your message all together. I hope someone replies.

Angle is not 60*. I believe it's more like 57* if memory serves correctly but that's just a guess.

I'd regrind one side (longwise) if you can get access to a surface grinder. I matched the gib to the dovetail and it slides wonderfully now.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpydo View Post
    Angle is not 60*. I believe it's more like 57* if memory serves correctly but that's just a guess.

I'd regrind one side (longwise) if you can get access to a surface grinder. I matched the gib to the dovetail and it slides wonderfully now.
    problem is the gib is so narrow as it is that the lower screw slides off the side of the gib allowing the upper screw to rock back and forth when the head changes direction because the gib is not "captured" on both ends

How did you come out and what did you end up having to do?
    I need to tackle mine. I've ignored it for so long but I'm starting to get chatter and it's getting where it's rocking pretty bad when it changes directions.

Richard

well I did make one out of oilite but I have not fitted it yet, I made a washer that captures the lower part of the gib and it has worked great since, I will probably try to fit it when the weather warms up, kinda cold out in the shop right now, so I have been spending time gathering materials for my lathe conversion about 99% there, and doing some 3D modeling of the conversion and an upcoming router table build, man you guys are right this is a disease and the only fix is another build

JTCUSTOMS