586,075 active members*
4,086 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Tool geometry offset Y-axis

Hello,

We just got a new NL2000Y. It's our first Y-axis machine and I have never used this type of lathe before.

I have a dual od turning tool holder and there doesn't seem to be a way to enter the tool geometry offset for the Y-axis using the tool presetter.I am assuming this has to be done manually, or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

you don't need to anything with the Y offset, only move if need like location is little off but rare since your machine is still new.
    The best way to learn is trial error.

Yes you do have to manually enter the y position in tool geometry page the upper tool you would put a -1.750 for example. When using dual turning tools you have to Manually edit the tool call in code usually its G0 T0606 it needs to programed as G0 T0606 Y0 you have to add the Y0 after you translate to code

Thanks cpayne,

That is what I thought needed to be done.

Thanks for the response CNCrim

We have an NLY and had the same issue. There are parameters that will allow you to use the pre-setter when you have the Y axis off zero. You would have to contact Mori support (usually from the company you bought the machine from) to get them. We use a quad holder all the time and use the presetter for setting x and z. To do this you have to manually dial your turret to the correct Y location. Once the X and Z are set you can put the Y offset in manually. They may not want to give you the parameters yet until you've had some time to get used to the machine though.

Now, from the programming side, you have to move the turret to a safe x position and then call your Y zero or else you will alarm out. Same thing on the way home, You must home the Y axis prior to going home in the X.

I can do a program example if you need it.

Gunner
    Gunner

quad holder tricks

the trick with quad holders is setting them up so you can use the presetter

example using a w- insert rough and a v-insert finisher
    w insert tool on the bottom stubbed as much as practical
    v insert tool on top hanging out past the lower tool enough so that when you use the presetter the lower tool doesnt hit the presetter arm

this setup works on bar stock applications, if your doing large chuck work you might have to set the tools equally

note: if you use your quad holder to profile chuck jaws for clearance you have to use the bottom pocket due to limited y travel at the upper x values