586,115 active members*
3,450 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > So, how do you keep your machine clean and rust free?
Page 1 of 2 12

So, how do you keep your machine clean and rust free?

I'm sure there are many ways out here to do this, but what are some ways those of you that deal with humidity keep your mills and lathes in shape?

I have some equipment outside in a shop building with no real ventilation and the machines always start to rust at least some during the summer months. My machines inside my air-conditioned and heated shop do the same but at a slower pace.

I am putting oily rags on the tables and ways, also covering as much of the machines up as possible during storage periods.

What about you? Any special sprays or anything you can share?

about twice every 3 months i rub white lithium grease all over the steel parts of the mill

before i clamp anything to the table i spray the table quickly with i think its boeshield t9 or something, its anti-rust thing. My machine is in pretty good shape, not perfect, but no surface rust for the most part.

How much rust/markings do you have on your table cj?

My X2 stays in decent shape due to using coolmist flood coolant mixed a bit rich and oiling the ways. I'd love to have a one shot oiler setup on it BTW. But my lathe and drill presses and bandsaw will get rust on them fairly quick. I actually use automotive wax on them, I apply it just like on a car, apply then buff off. This works amazingly well and lasts a long time.

I think Teyber is doing it the best way though with the Boeshield, I believe I read somewhere here on the zone that the Boeshield has wax in it and was developed by Boeing. I'm going to order some of that one of these days.

My stuff is in a vinyl shed and rusts like crazy if I don't keep everything oiled. I've been using General Purpose Super Lube spray every couple of months or whenever I wipe down a surface. On something that gets a lot of use, like the mill table, I have some WD-40 in a spray bottle handy that doubles as cutting fluid. I don't like the smell of WD-40 much, though, and Super Lube works as well or better. Any spots of surface rust that sneak in seem to come off easily with a rag and either oil.

I also noticed I get a lot less humidity since I installed an AC unit and started leaving it on and set at 74 deg. I have a dehumidifier I use in the winter, but I only need to run it every couple of weeks - basically whenever I start noticing condensation on the vinyl in the mornings.

SScnc, I'm going to try waxing some stuff. That's a great idea.

Jeff

I use lithium grease and wd40. My old mans garage is bad for rust, my rotary table only made it a week before it was covered in rust, was able to get it off. Now I just cover it in oil when I dont use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Flenser View Post
    I also noticed I get a lot less humidity since I installed an AC unit and started leaving it on and set at 74 deg.

SScnc, I'm going to try waxing some stuff. That's a great idea.

Jeff
    Yeah an A/C really will remove a huge amount of moisture from the air, I have to admit though, the wax isn't my idea, I think I read it on the Griz-HF yahoo site a good while back but it works great and isn't sticky like lube can be.

My stuff is garaged and gets moist. I've been using Mobil 1 to prevent rust. A thin coat wiped on will last until next use, even if that's a couple of years. Easier to apply than wax, but it has to be reapplied after each use, especially on the ways. Wax may be easier long term, and maybe safer. Forget the oil wipe down and let it sit a few nights and you have a big mess to clean up.

I moved to Denver.

:cheers:

Very low humidity here... so it's generally not a problem.

Although, if you happen to be an electronics hobbyist as well I have learned that acid etching PCBs will fill the air with enough acidy fumes to make things rust even in Denver..... guess how I learned that?

I used steel wool and motor oil to clean it up, my woodworking tools got a coat of Johnsons paste wax (After de-oiling) and my 8x lathe usually has enough general purpose oil on it that it hasn't had a problem.

Here in the Great Northwet, we have to deal with a lot of humidity. SScnc is right, Boeshield was developed by Boeing and it works better for me than anything else I've tried. Besides the T-9 product, the "Rust Free" rust and stain remover and "Blade and Bit" resin remover are also pretty amazing.

Before I used them, it seemed like my table saw would start rusting every time I turned my back on it. I used the "Rust Free" to clean it up, and then applied the T-9, and I haven't seen any rust in six months with just that one application.

Where you guys get your Boeshield?

Quote Originally Posted by knudsen View Post
    Where you guys get your Boeshield?
    Rockler carries it:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...lter=Boeshield

Make sure and look at the reviews, I'm not alone in my praise of it.

Looks expensive, but at the rate I'm going, it might last me another five years. I picked up the mini 3-pack at my local Rockler.

I think Woodcraft also carries it.

McMaster carries it too Here it looks like you can buy singles also.

Best price I saw was at The Rust Store

check ebay

Im new to this but I just use WD-40 or PB blaster.

I concur

I have to agree with Boeshield. Can't stand the smell of PB blaster or WD-40 especially when it interacts with my heating system in my shop. I would think motor oil would attract dust and dirt. I treated my nearly solid cast Delta drill press with T-9 after removing surface rust with "Rust free". 5 years later and no rust. Prior to that maybe 3 months and it had a light coating of rust. Now it's on every cast iron tool I have.

Does anyone have experience with their Blade and Bit cleaner?

Quote Originally Posted by scobob View Post
    Does anyone have experience with their Blade and Bit cleaner?
    I've used it to clean resins off of a table saw blade. It works well, but I don't really have anything else to compare it to.

i used some corrosion x in january and mine lives out in a shop that is not heated or insulated, and have not had any rust issues with it
    after hearing everyones experience with boeshield i will pick some of that up too

by the way thudson what part of the northwest are you from?

Boshield looks cheap compared to letting it rust! Mobil 1 works great, but if you forget after you've worn it off with use or washed it off with WD or other cutting fluid, you're screwed after a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by cornbinder23 View Post
    by the way thudson what part of the northwest are you from?
    I live in Seattle. I grew up in the south and my wife and I have lived in quite a few different places across the country, but when we moved to Seattle we fell in love with the area.

My wife is a northwestern girl, she grew up in Seaside, OR.

Quote Originally Posted by knudsen View Post
    Boshield looks cheap compared to letting it rust! Mobil 1 works great, but if you forget after you've worn it off with use or washed it off with WD or other cutting fluid, you're screwed after a few weeks.
    I think that is why it is so effective, it dries leaving a very thin film and doesn't wear off after many uses. My table saw gets a lot of use, and not just cutting, since right now it is the closest thing to a surface plate in my shop.

Page 1 of 2 12