586,077 active members*
3,591 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Tool life management

Tool life management

I am running a Multus B300w and all is operating great. We run unattended at night and I just received all my backup tooling, so now Im gonna try and add tool life management to the deal. The book is pretty vague in its procedure for programming tool call up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(1) does the offset group match the tool group or is the value in the OG=the tool #?

(2) What is the programming procedure for calling the proper tool?

(3) Can I still stage my tools when using Tool Life Management?

(4) Any special parameters that need or should be set?

Any help or programming examples would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

congratulations. It's easy. You can call tool the same way as before.
    You can call the tool group instead of tool - when You use tool life management.
    You need to set parameters according to task. If You use load monitor combined with tool life management, You need to set load values for each point. If You use only tool path (cut line) it's easier. Please, check Your specification and then You'll get a lot of advices here.

Thanks for reply.

Not sure what u mean by specification, I am new to this forum.

specification is property of machine tool. Okuma lathe with "M" function has no main spindle synchronised tapping function by default.
    Number of tools is specification item also.

You will need to change your program from:

T010101 to TG=1 OG=1
    T020202 to TG=2 OG=1, etc.

Usually OG is always 1 unless you want to use multiple offsets for the same tool.

You will also need to set up your Tool Life table in the tool data mode so that your redundant tools are in the same tool group. Ex: tool 1, 11, and 12 may all be in tool group 1 and can be used interchangeably. When tool 1 reaches it's life, the life flag is set and when the controls sees TLID in the program, it will then activate the next tool in the group. When all tools have reached their life, the control will alarm and say "spare tool none".

The "SET" tool is the tool currently active, so you will want to change that manually to confirm that offsets are correct, then set it back when finished.

TLM is very powerful and can be used by workpiece count, time in cut, wear amount - your choice. (I typically use count) You can also use it with post process gauging to set the life flag, or Load Monitoring to set the life flag. Set those parameters as needed.

Thanks OkumaWiz for your help.. In the tool data page where I set tool groups and offset groups, what is the value that goes in the OG1 field? Is it the actual offset that I want? EX. tool1 is tool group 1 and offset group 1=1, tool 11 is tool group 1 and offset group 1=11?

Also, in the actual program, I stage tools for next op. what will that look like? Should I enter it as MT=101 for tool 1 and the machine figures it out or do I put it as MT=TG1? or can I not stage tools when using Tool Life Management.

Thanks for all you help!

OG1 will = the tool offset register that you want to use, so your example is correct - it will = 11.

Now your next question is tickling some brain cells I haven't used in a while...on an LR15-2MW-ATC-Y-3T - Yikes! That was 20 years ago!

I believe that your MT=TG1 is what you will use on the ATC style machine if I remember right. You can stage tools with it.

Best regards,

Thanks for all your help OkumaWiz. Im new to this site, But it proves to be extremely
    useful thanks to Members such as yourself.... Possible more questions to come on this subject!

Thanks again

You decide of the # of tool groop, preset the offset in OG 1-2 or 3
    and after calll og=1 or og= 2 etc..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MONI.jpg