586,103 active members*
3,353 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: T-Slot Table

T-Slot Table

So It's high time I upgrade the work table on my router. I'm currently running 3/4 MDF with Sintra glued to the top as a sacrificial surface, and sinking blind nuts in from the back side (some call these T-Nuts). This system sucks. I have steel angle iron behind the MDF, 1 1/2 leg, 1/8" every foot, but it still deflects. It has to span about 3 feet between main beams.

I WANT
    T-slot table. I know Techno sells it at an outrageous price. My table is 6x10 feet,, and would cost me well over $6000 to cover it with t-slot. At that price, I could buy inch thick MIC-6 plate.. from MCMASTER and still make out cheaper. Another thought is an 80/20 extrusion, or aluminum I-beams stacked up next to each other, or whatever... but the best thing would be a techno-like product that doesn't a freaking million dollars. Could I pay a third of that amount? Sure. Suggestions?

Why not use the T-slot MDF panels available at home improvement stores? The local Menards offers them, even have an option for adding an aluminum extrusion to reinforce the T-slots. A 4x8 panel with aluminum reinforcements cost ~$100.

I'm already using MDF, it's deflecting too much, plus I'm routing at pretty high power and high speeds, I'm afraid that if I tighten down the pieces enough to hold them that I'm going to break the MDF. At $100 each I can buy a t-slot cutter and make my own panels. Also, I don't want to have to replace it constantly. I actually found a supplier locally that I can get 24' long pices of 2x6 aluminum box tube for $145. It's a little too thick for me, I might consider 1" x4" and drop bolts in between them.

Thanks for the suggestion... I'm still looking for some actual t-slot table. Any other suggestions from the group?

I'm using 80/20 as a table top for my little mill. All I can say is mounting items to it is a dream. I'm using the 10/30 lite series and haven't noticed any deflection in the table (of course it's only a 9inch be 24inch setup). I thought about using spaced boxed tubes or milling my own t-slots but 80/20 is cheap enough and perfect for this application.

A cheaper route for you could be to try and give your table top better support underneath the MDF. There are plenty of production machines out there that use two sheets of MDF glued together as a table top with aluminum T track routed in the MDF. Sounds like your problem is that you don't have adequate support underneath your MDF table top.

i found some used shopwall hook-slots (don't know the real name) and screwed those to a 1/4" alum plate for support. the aluminium then acted as the table top and the mdf hook-slots with aluminium extrusions where replaceable and expendable.

it would be a shame to fork out hundreds to have a surface that you one day wreck and have to look at for the rest of your life. this way you can afford to replace.

Ever consider baltic birch whth phenolic coating? Lot stiffer than MDF (they use it for concrete forms). You could glue-up a couple sheets, and route grooves for t-track...

Try the MX slatwall at http://www.diamondlifegear.com/products.htm.
    They have a smooth one in panels from 2x4 to 4x8.

Quote Originally Posted by ewest View Post
    So It's high time I upgrade the work table on my router. I'm currently running 3/4 MDF with Sintra glued to the top as a sacrificial surface, and sinking blind nuts in from the back side (some call these T-Nuts). This system sucks. I have steel angle iron behind the MDF, 1 1/2 leg, 1/8" every foot, but it still deflects. It has to span about 3 feet between main beams.

I WANT
    T-slot table. I know Techno sells it at an outrageous price. My table is 6x10 feet,, and would cost me well over $6000 to cover it with t-slot. At that price, I could buy inch thick MIC-6 plate.. from MCMASTER and still make out cheaper. Another thought is an 80/20 extrusion, or aluminum I-beams stacked up next to each other, or whatever... but the best thing would be a techno-like product that doesn't a freaking million dollars. Could I pay a third of that amount? Sure. Suggestions?

If you haven't done so already, take a look at the slotted MDF and aluminum inserts, as others have mentioned. You may need to mount it on top of a backer for more strength. The aluminum adds a lot of strength to the T slots.

John

Sounds like you need to beef up your machine to support whatever method you choose to use. I would think that even aluminum t-slot spanning 3 feet would allow too much vibration and could effect cut quality.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

you could use the rexroth stuff im going to when I get the moneys but that will be never at this rate