586,047 active members*
3,801 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Tornos ENC HELP!!

I have a 1994 Tornos enc-264 swiss lathe with an o-tt fanuc control that I've had & run for a few years now . It is a little weird with its subroutines, but I've heard that's how Tornos's are. Now last week I was running a job on it and out of the blue it shuts off(I was watching it cycle in auto). So I turned it on,home it and every thing looked fine till I restarted my program. When the rechucking sub comes up it tells the machine to travel the wrong way, and with a value much larger than the travels of the machine. So I decided to check everything in my program and offsets, they were fine. Even change to another proven program, and it does the same thing when it gets to the rechucking sub.
    At this point I just needed to get the job done, so I wrote a program that didn't use any of the subs.The machine finished job, and didn't have any more problems.It sat off for a day (maybe) till I was ready to set it up for the next job. When I turned it back on it would go to the home position, but not register as zero on any of the axis like it should. Not knowing where to start I call my local repair guy. He comes down looks at the machine and confirms what I thought, that possibly some of the parameters got corrupted when it turned off. So I deleted and reloaded the parameters off my back up, I was pretty sure this would was going to fix it. However it didn't change anything, the homing or sub problem.
    Well my local guy didn't know, so I called Tornos service. After a few phone calls back and forth they are also stumped.This puts me at my current place.....
    Can any of you think of anything that could cause these problems? If you have any questions ask away.
    Thanks,Colin

If it's the same axis that is giving you this problem then try to swap drives. Assuming the machine uses identical drives for different axis control. Before you do that, call Fanuc to see if you can do that.

Then if you are experiencing the same problem with the same axis, then at least you know you don't have a drive problem.

On another thought, maybe look at the sub program to see if maybe it got changed somehow. It's been about a decade since I've been on a Tornos ENC so, I don't remember if you can see the sub programs.

Good luck
    Also, it may be worth calling Fanuc with your problem.

Hello Colin!
    I've got the same ENC-264, with basically the same issue with rechucking. However i can get the machine homed. My issue has arisen couple of days ago, and i have no idea how to get through. Also i don't have any idea what's the subroutines for at the beginning (G160 H9810;G160 H9901).
    Did you somehow solve your problem???
    Can you please help me on that?