586,082 active members*
3,585 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Brown & Sharpe Bar feed lathe, 1980's??? Strange controller???

Brown & Sharpe Bar feed lathe, 1980's??? Strange controller???

Hey all,

I worked at Hilti Inc. in Tulsa, Oklahoma... in 1980 or 81... and we had these new bar machines, I think they were B&S, yet don't remember for sure.

I would like to find one of these machines. The unique thing, was it was programmed with this control panel... that had like 16 rolls of switches.

You select each switch, to do a certain thing, each roll. This will select the slide or turret, and tell it what to do. As well at the end of each row... you had to select the last switch, so it stepped to the next line and ran it.

I believe there must have been a switch to tell the machine, to start over.

The machine ran, till you told it to stop. It would just set there and crank out parts all day long.

It was some type of NC control... yet no tapes... and also no computer monitor either. You simply programmed it with a chart, and then walked up to the machine and set the switches, and then set your tooling... then bang, out came lot of parts.

We were just making a little brass washer like part, with a bore, and a through hole, a couple of chamfers, and cutoff.

I hope this descriptions helps... I have not found out much on the internet so far...

Any info. would be great....

Thanks,

Jeffserv

Sounds like the ol' pegboard control principal. AutoWard had them in the '70's and probably earlier. I bet Geof remembers them.LOL

I think the switches triggered relays in the order the dials were prioritised.

Dick Z
    DZASTR

Smile

I found an Old Modern Machine Shop magazine, which I had from 1980, because it had a great article about end mills... and in there I found the machine I was looking for.

Brown & Sharpe PTC (Programmed Turning Center) Took me awhile, but I found it through there ad, in the magazine.

Good day!

If you're still looking. I know where there's a couple clean PTC-60 machines with a good bit of tooling down in Houston.

BROWN&SHARPE PTC

I built a lot of the PTC's,including the "thread chaser".
    It used a A&B controller...dtl/ttl logic...with switches...let me know if I can help.