586,060 active members*
4,238 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Business Practices > Business Practices / Pricing > Narrow minded exit for the Cadillac

Unhappy Narrow minded exit for the Cadillac

I write this as a long term employee of what was one of the United States premier machine tool manufacturers. The company was known as the Cadillac of machine tools. As it is, it is easy to see the domestically manufactured version of any of its brands aren't long for Fond du Lac or for that matter this continent.
    In the time of the afore mentioned tenure there have been plenty of clueless pillagers through the ranks of authority in Fond du Lac. There have also been owners, such as a recent German owner, that for some reason actually improved the facility and brought it to a profitable existence. Through all of the times there was always a glimmer of hope that manufacturing at the facility in Fond du Lac would survive. The gigantic survival that has seemed perpetual from its early hard working, well engineered beginnings. This great everlasting momentum has (probably inevitably) apparently nearly run its course.
    The Fond du Lac facility in itself produced and shipped more machines then it had in its history a very few years back. Grown again to be consistently profitable and deserving of its market share. All of this done with fewer people and machines then had ever been in place. Again thanks to the groundwork set forth by the German concern that had ideas for Fond du Lac that didn’t include elimination. The same German concern that probably didn’t realize the scope of antiquity the whole facility existed within when they bought in (after previous regimes left with pockets full of capital that should have been used for equipment improvement). The Germans that understood manufacturing of the scope the Fond du Lac facility was capable of (even with antiquated equipment) and cleaned up and streamlined the whole operation.
    All of that is a lead up to the whole truth of Fond du Lac’s longevity. The greatest credit for the whole of any of the brand lines existence has got to be given the people. The people that operate antiquated, often ill maintained equipment to levels of profitability in a world market. In defense of (the way under manned and more often then not behind the eight ball) maintenance department, the following really needs to be taken into consideration. As the pillagers were filling their pockets with any and all of the funds that should have gone to equipment, any semblance of preventive maintenance went by the wayside. Once behind, the maintenance department had (and has) all it could do to keep things up and running in a 24/5-6-7 work atmosphere. Oh don’t get me all wrong here, the equipment is for the most part OEM to the FDL facility. Most all of these machines were built to last generation after generation of use, and might well, with any reinvestment, repair and even the slightest preventive maintenance. But now back to the people, the operators and their direct support, the long term machine builders on the assembly floor and their support, And the all too often maligned maintenance department and its support. All of these people with decades of experience, but equally as important their ever driving work ethic. Everybody works around issues, issues with equipment, with scheduling, with engineering, with cold or hot with wet or dry (in an old building) whatever the issue might be for years and years. ‘’All’’ of the people, that after a certain flooded Friday the thirteenth had the place cleaned up and presentable in 24 hours. This kind of group, like the brand itself seemed perpetual through just about anything. But that whole chemistry seems to be on a forced path to extinction.
    How does any such perpetual motion come to a stop? It really doesn’t seem complicated now as it happens. I'll explain and what is explained is for the most part going on as I write. First and foremost any longstanding people of experience, in any position of authority need to be forced out of that position of authority. Preferably persuaded into retirement to eliminate even their presence in everyday operations. If not retired then moved or manipulated or let go to clear the path for people of the proper mindset and with absolutely no attachments to the facility, the people therein and especially the type of manufacturing being completed. Secondly you screw with the existing longstanding employee policies like shifts, pay levels and seniority, to noticeably undermine any possible chemistry. Third you completely rearrange any scheduling routine to make the paper numbers look good even if the operators are setting up and tearing down more then ever before and certainly more then necessary. Forth, after implementing the ‘’better’’ scheduling, openly and adamantly blast any and every part of the manufacturing group for a drop in production. Fifth, step right in and increase the hourly rates that are figured for any and all unwanted areas of manufacturing, to utterly outlandish levels. Fifth, again consistently remove people of experience from any position at all. Sixth, shut areas down, do not get reasonable vendors for the parts produced in those areas before the equipment is liquidated, because ''anyone can make those parts''. Seventh, continually lean on and delay payment to any and all vendors so they get used to such treatment. Eighth, consistently insure all current employees that they will have a position in the family (such patronization seems to be some kind of requirement). Ninth, explain that the parts will be provided by vendors (apparently desperate vendors) that do not need to be paid until any finished product is delivered and paid for. Tenth, continuously eliminate operations to the ultimate conclusion of buying the complete product from a vendor, any vendor, from where ever the price is best and the quality is o.k. (by now not having any more of the liabilities that go along with any manufacturing facility and/or the people therein) and reselling that product for a more then handsome profit.

I am sure this scenario is nothing new. It just seems an unavoidable conclusion to what I myself have considered part of my life for some time. And something that for the first time in a long time ‘’will not’’ be there as an opportunity for generations to come, as it has for generations.

I have found in my years that until a person moves beyond the restrictions of financial obsession they really can't excel at the job at hand, nor do they care as their job at hand is financial obsession. I am thinking this is way too narrow a focus for any persons or businesses continual prosperity, not to mention sheer existence.

Am I wrong??

HA HA YOU LOST YOUR LONG TERM JOB HA HA

My record is 18 jobs in one year.
    I never worked at a job long enough to get a vacation.
    I have had over 100 machine shop jobs.
    Why would anyone want to stagnate at one job for so long?
    So many people don't have enough confidence in their skill level, to change jobs.
    The simple fact is that you are too afraid to quit, and look for a better job and pay. When your boss yells at you, you take it.
    Buy a machine, not a new cat.

Wow, you are easiliy one of the most intelligent and least dedicated people I have EVER had respond to any post anywhere.
    18 jobs in a year??? Something you would brag about????
    Never been anywhere long enough to get vacation??? What are you 11 years old?? Stagnant people do the same thing over and over expecting different results but gettting the same. You think maybe ''YOU'' might have some issues going through 18 jobs in a year. It seems you end up with the same results. How could you possibly think I might take advise from anyone like you? What ever you might be or where ever you might come from.
    I have enough confidence to say I will take the life I have lived and handled over any life you could possibly have dreamt of, let along lived.
    Pion, is that even spelled correctly? I guess I don't really care.
    I really have to ask, do you even own a car? I mean 18 jobs a year probably isn't going to get you any credit rating. If you would own any machines I really can't imagine what condition they would be in.
    I have plenty of cars and a few lathes and a mill and a saw and a few grinders, a small heat treat furnace, several tons of steel and keys to a shop full of late model CNC equipment. I have made and marketed parts of my own as well as parts for others. This is all beside keeping a regular job. I guess if this defines me as an idiot then an idiot I must be.
    I would try to explain why I wrote what I did but it is quite obvious you have never experianced anything similar.
    Good luck in your future work searches. I hope your life is full of everything you could have ever dreamed of.

I believe in God, so I hope you enjoy the belief of a higher power.
    I believe in family, I hope you may always know that Love.
    I believe in the United States of America, It has been the place I have had the opportunity to live the life I have.
    I believe in working up to standards I hold myself to.
    and so on..................

How to impress a potential employer with your resume...

"I have had over 100 machine shop jobs. I had 18 jobs in 1 year."

Oh yeah! I'd hire you in a heart beat!! LOL!!!

Seriously, John, You're not impressing anyone here.

Quote Originally Posted by JOHN PARSONS View Post
    My record is 18 jobs in one year.
    I never worked at a job long enough to get a vacation.
    I have had over 100 machine shop jobs.
    Why would anyone want to stagnate at one job for so long?
    So many people don't have enough confidence in their skill level, to change jobs.
    The simple fact is that you are too afraid to quit, and look for a better job and pay. When your boss yells at you, you take it.
    Buy a machine, not a new cat.

I can take a W.A.G. who you voted for and I bet I'd be right.

I'm not sure any kind of change would suit you apparently you've had plenty.

Where I come from you wouldn't be bragging about your failures.

Job hopping to success!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fastrip View Post
    Wow, you are easiliy one of the most intelligent and least dedicated people I have EVER had respond to any post anywhere.
    18 jobs in a year??? Something you would brag about????
    Never been anywhere long enough to get vacation??? What are you 11 years old?? Stagnant people do the same thing over and over expecting different results but gettting the same. You think maybe ''YOU'' might have some issues going through 18 jobs in a year. It seems you end up with the same results. How could you possibly think I might take advise from anyone like you? What ever you might be or where ever you might come from.
    I have enough confidence to say I will take the life I have lived and handled over any life you could possibly have dreamt of, let along lived.
    Pion, is that even spelled correctly? I guess I don't really care.
    I really have to ask, do you even own a car? I mean 18 jobs a year probably isn't going to get you any credit rating. If you would own any machines I really can't imagine what condition they would be in.
    I have plenty of cars and a few lathes and a mill and a saw and a few grinders, a small heat treat furnace, several tons of steel and keys to a shop full of late model CNC equipment. I have made and marketed parts of my own as well as parts for others. This is all beside keeping a regular job. I guess if this defines me as an idiot then an idiot I must be.
    I would try to explain why I wrote what I did but it is quite obvious you have never experianced anything similar.
    Good luck in your future work searches. I hope your life is full of everything you could have ever dreamed of.

I believe in God, so I hope you enjoy the belief of a higher power.
    I believe in family, I hope you may always know that Love.
    I believe in the United States of America, It has been the place I have had the opportunity to live the life I have.
    I believe in working up to standards I hold myself to.
    and so on..................
    Maybe you should look at this link: JOB HOPPING TO SUCCESS!!!!!!!
    http://www.cnc-west.com/_old/IssuesF...%20Success.htm

THE MORE PLACES YOU WORK AT, THE MORE YOU LEARN, AND THE MORE PEOPLE YOU LEARN FROM. THERE ARE A LOT OF DUMPS OUT THERE, AND I REFUSE TO WORK AT ANY OF THEM.
    You believe in god? LOL, higher power?
    Isn't that what AA members say, LOL, All religion is fiction.
    USA? LOL, what are you? you sound like an immigrant.
    You have the key to someone else's shop, lol. wow.
    You don't have what it takes to own your own shop, you should go to school, learn to program, buy a machine, and get a job working for yourself, like I did.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC MACHS.jpg  

You know Mr. Parsons I could play your teen age game but I really don't care to. I feel sorry for you, if you live a loveless, Godless, probably lonely and exceptionally hateful life I feel sorry for you. I am a simple God fearing Family man who has been lucky enough to work for some time at a place I regret to leave. Again something you will never know.
    Good luck with your bussiness.
    Oh yea, I was born in Wisconsin (which I am sure you will take issue with). I believe in something other then myself, I guess that's why I would not exchange verbal puke with someone I feel very very sorry for.
    Good luck, good life, God Bless.