586,115 active members*
3,351 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Boot leg MCAM copies
Page 1 of 2 12

Boot leg MCAM copies

I did not realize the extent of pirated Mcam software that is out their until recently. Is it ethical to help some one on this forum that is running a pirated version???

Any discussion of pirated software will get deleted, as it violates forum policy.

PIRACY OR UNLAWFUL ACTIVITIES:
    This community forum is a place for ideas and constructive participation, and not a place to violate any laws or to discuss illegal activities. This type of activity includes, but is not limited to, advocating or asking for information regarding software piracy or unauthorized emulators of software or hardware, sharing or distributing viruses, licenses, registration information, software keys, "cracks," or other information designed to do harm to or allow unlawful access to any computer hardware, software, networks, or any other systems. Please refrain from posting this kind of message.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Any discussion of pirated software will get deleted, as it violates forum policy.

PIRACY OR UNLAWFUL ACTIVITIES:
    This community forum is a place for ideas and constructive participation, and not a place to violate any laws or to discuss illegal activities. This type of activity includes, but is not limited to, advocating or asking for information regarding software piracy or unauthorized emulators of software or hardware, sharing or distributing viruses, licenses, registration information, software keys, "cracks," or other information designed to do harm to or allow unlawful access to any computer hardware, software, networks, or any other systems. Please refrain from posting this kind of message.
    Since this forum is unable to verify the legal users from the pirate users this forum should suspend all software discussion activity until a they have a sold method to verify authenticity of the person asking for help.

You asked if it was ethical. If you had to ask, then you probably knew that it's not.

I'm not going to have an ethics discussion. Software piracy is very prevalent.

If we do as you suggest, then we should just shut down the site. An alternative, and the best that we can do, is to assume everyone is using a legal copy. If you suspect it's not, then don't answer the question or offer help. If it's clearly a pirated copy, the thread will be removed.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by foxsquirrel View Post
    Since this forum is unable to verify the legal users from the pirate users this forum should suspend all software discussion activity until a they have a sold method to verify authenticity of the person asking for help.

You can talk about software all day, as long as it does not violate forum policy (already posted).

Just becuase you have a paid version of the software does not mean you have the only legal copy, what If another guy is running a demo version? Can you verify a demo?

Better yet, is it anyones job (or right) to verify, other than the software manufacturer?
    Free DXF - vectorink.com

Another question foxsquirrel,
    Would you take a chance on crashing a machine, or a part, or a tool, or injuring yourself or someone else because you refused help from someone you suspect might be running pirated software?
    ObrienDave. MasterCam since V6. Gcode since 1983.
    The nose you punch today may belong to the butt you have to kiss tomorrow.

I will not disscuss ethical, but I will answer/help anyone what I knew as long as it not violate forum policy 'cause I assume everyone is legit, beside what is forum for? is it suppose to help other if have questions?

PS: don't ask for POST PROCESSOR.
    The best way to learn is trial error.

people are selling the stuff on ebay , this guy has been doing this for quite some time , email him and ask him about the activation code , I did for a joke
    http://cgi.ebay.com/BobCAD-CAM-V21-M...item3caada4669
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Did you see what he was selling 3 to the left ?? ironic, huh
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.png  

Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    Did you see what he was selling 3 to the left ?? ironic, huh
    no kidding
    he's got all sorts of goodies , its surprised me that he has lasted this long

A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

if you look at his feedback there are some interesting sales , i wonder what he means by "Contact me for more information on activation." for the mastercamx4 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=260526194905

does anyone think this is the same guy lol ? look at the stuff in this store http://cgi.ebay.com/BobCAD-CAM-V21-M...item2305d97b0e

I did not realize the extent of pirated Mcam software that is out their until recently. Is it ethical to help some one on this forum that is running a pirated version???
    I try not to support piracy, I'm a touring musician by trade and know how it feels to create something and have it taken for free.

With that said, I see alot of people on here who are concerened about others who use pirated MC software and say you stole 24k in software, with the how can you sleep at night attitudes. Does this mean that these people have never download a song for free? does it make it any better that the song is only worth $1? or less?? Having MILLIIONS of people download that song for free is worst that the few who probably run cracked copies of MC. The total gross isnt even close when you total losses. Thats why record stores and movie stores are rapidly going out of business, movies nowadays SUCK because there isnt as much money in making them because people watch them for FREE!

So my answer to foxsquirrel is .. if you have ever downloaded a song or movie for free .. YOU STOLE!! and should help the guy running pirated MC because your just as bad if we talk ethics. If you have never downloaded something you SHOULD have PAID for .. then dont help because you are one super honest dude!! ..

Cheers, I have bought many CD's people get for free, I feel good, not bad. If I can't afford it, I won't buy. Yes I have downloaded free songs, free software, the ones who havent, dont know how. However, my copy of MC is from a friend, so I didnt pay for it, but the copy is legit.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmiethekid View Post
    I try not to support piracy, I'm a touring musician by trade and know how it feels to create something and have it taken for free.

With that said, I see alot of people on here who are concerened about others who use pirated MC software and say you stole 24k in software, with the how can you sleep at night attitudes. Does this mean that these people have never download a song for free? does it make it any better that the song is only worth $1? or less?? Having MILLIIONS of people download that song for free is worst that the few who probably run cracked copies of MC. The total gross isnt even close when you total losses. Thats why record stores and movie stores are rapidly going out of business, movies nowadays SUCK because there isnt as much money in making them because people watch them for FREE!

So my answer to foxsquirrel is .. if you have ever downloaded a song or movie for free .. YOU STOLE!! and should help the guy running pirated MC because your just as bad if we talk ethics. If you have never downloaded something you SHOULD have PAID for .. then dont help because you are one super honest dude!! ..

Cheers, I have bought many CD's people get for free, I feel good, not bad. If I can't afford it, I won't buy. Yes I have downloaded free songs, free software, the ones who havent, dont know how. However, my copy of MC is from a friend, so I didnt pay for it, but the copy is legit.
    I can say with 100% confidence I have never downloaded music or movies from the internet!!!!!!!!

If you are a touring musician by trade what are you doing on the MasterCam forum?

... However, my copy of MC is from a friend, so I didnt pay for it, but the copy is legit.
    Just because you got a copy from a friend, who may or may not have a legal license, does not mean your use of it on a computer without the proper hardware key is legal.
    The illegal part is when you use cracks or hardware lock emulators to bypass the copy protection in order to make money with the programs you write.
    ObrienDave. MasterCam since V6. Gcode since 1983.
    The nose you punch today may belong to the butt you have to kiss tomorrow.

So if you steal a car to sunday drive its ok? But if you steal to drive to work its not? Its ok to use a cracked copy of MC for personal use, just don't use it to make money? That's crazy!! The canadian gov charges levy's on computer blanks and harddrives, they pay this money to artists, software companies etc to help compensate piracy. So if we pay levy's are we not entitled to some sort of piracy? Or? How do you prosecute when part of the money I paid for harddrive goes to pay for this?

Touchy subject but stealing is stealing. No matter what your use is (person or business) you profit one way or another.

I can say with 100% confidence I have never downloaded music or movies from the internet!!!!!!!!

If you are a touring musician by trade what are you doing on the MasterCam forum?
    I build my own guitars and pickups and moved into cnc, I got a romaxx 24x36. Everyone needs a hobby. Good on ya for never downloading a song or movie. I can't say the same.

'Theft' of musical performances is a weird spin-off of our technological age. If no means of encoding and simulating and copying a performance were possible, then theft would be impossible. The fact that encoding methods exist creates a cash cow that can be milked, repeatedly.

Nonetheless, I am glad to pay for certain outstanding content that I enjoy. I'm probably fooling myself by thinking that I am 'rewarding' the artist by buying his song off Itunes or wherever. I have no idea how much it actually helps the fellow out.

Unfortunately, I have no way of 'encoding' my machine work to make my customers' pay every time they use what I made.

But computers almost make it possible to encode your programming work to operate on a per user basis.

What is the alternative? If you've got some really hot sh!t to market, take a gamble, name your price, and sell it to a primary reseller for a fat price. That is all you get. He then takes it and resells copies for as much as he can get. Every buyer gets to resell. Eventually the price falls down to a marginal value equal to the cost of physical production of another copy.

Chaos? Maybe Maybe artists would begin to release songs by the verse, and if you like verse 1, you'll want to buy verse 2

Now in the case of software, if you want support, then you either beg for it, or pay for it from the developer. If you are happy and understand what you are working with, then that is it, you are set and it doesn't cost you any more. They can only attempt to make their own products obsolete in hopes that they can start a new buy cycle.

Don't mind me, I'm just stirring the pot
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

Well said ..

Funny thing is your not far off on the music thing. At one time you had to buy the entire album to get the 1 or 2 songs you wanted. Now you can buy individual songs. I get paid from itunes. 93% of the total price.

Is it ok for a private party (not an authorized retailer) to sell an old (legal) version? Autodesk seems to say no.... what's mcam say?

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...sale-doctrine/

Guess txcncman answered that.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1055081

I've never actually read a mcam user agreement... Just programmed with it

Page 1 of 2 12