586,655 active members*
2,606 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

1 Small steel screw with collar.

I snapped off a bolt, which is 25 cents at the local "Tacoma Screw". I cant take the bolt off the collar because the idiots who previously manufactured it, decided to weld the bolt and the collar together. Need the part turned on a lathe by someone who knows what they are doing. I can send the bolt to you, or i can take all the measurements, model it in solid works and send you the file? Either way i'm sure its a very simple job for someone with manual or CNC lathe experience. I unfortunately do not own a mini lathe or i would for sure make it myself

If anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 9101.jpg   9102.jpg   9103.jpg   9104.jpg  

9105.jpg  

1. You can make the whole thing out of one solid piece.

2. You can make the collar for me and i can buy the bolt and thread it through the collar.

Either way.. Thanks.

I got the old collar off and on a new bolt, looks pretty haggard though.. I will try it out tonight.. At least i have a back up plan in case no one can make it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails resize.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by diyengineer View Post
    I got the old collar off and on a new bolt, looks pretty haggard though.. I will try it out tonight.. At least i have a back up plan in case no one can make it.
    Hi diye; I could, and would certainly make you up one of those. It would be better to make just the collar, tho; I have no way to put the hex drive on the bolt head. A rotery broach would do it, I just do'nt happen to have one. If you have a set of radius guages, you could measure up the radius of the cut-outs. Or if you want to send it to me, I have the guages. Or, if its not of critical dimension, you could give a good guess on it. Is this off of your gantry mill? That is one sweet lookin machine!! If you want, it would be a piece of cake to run off several of these once it's programmed. But if you really only need the one, it would probly be quicker to just spin one out on the manual lathe. If you would like, you can give me a ring 406-868-1260. I would need to know what material you would want this made of. Also I would need the dimensions. Thanks, Howard. R&R Machine.

Quote Originally Posted by howd View Post
    Hi diye; I could, and would certainly make you up one of those. It would be better to make just the collar, tho; I have no way to put the hex drive on the bolt head. A rotery broach would do it, I just do'nt happen to have one. If you have a set of radius guages, you could measure up the radius of the cut-outs. Or if you want to send it to me, I have the guages. Or, if its not of critical dimension, you could give a good guess on it. Is this off of your gantry mill? That is one sweet lookin machine!! If you want, it would be a piece of cake to run off several of these once it's programmed. But if you really only need the one, it would probly be quicker to just spin one out on the manual lathe. If you would like, you can give me a ring 406-868-1260. I would need to know what material you would want this made of. Also I would need the dimensions. Thanks, Howard. R&R Machine.
    Well you are in luck because the hex drive bolt head serves no purpose and is stuffed into a blind hole! So one could turn it on a lathe out all out of 1 piece! Does that make things simpler?

Please feel free to email me, diyengineer at gmail.com

Its currently some form of steel, the machine shop guy said it was like harder then grade 7 (i dont know if he is correct)? Like i said, it just squeezes against a cylinder when tightened down.

Email me and we shall talk.

** By the way, I could just send you a good one, for you to dimension off of so that way its perfect. Then you could just send me the new one and the old one back. I only need one at the moment, the rest are perfect. **

diyengineer

If you want to find the radius on the cutout on your part,just measure the diameter of the spindle it is locking against
    Mactec54

Thank you for everyone that contacted me so quickly! The work order has been filled. Thanks!

I have the guages. Or, if its not of critical dimension, you could give a good guess on it. Is this off of your gantry mill? That is one sweet lookin machine!! If you want, it would be a piece of cake to run off several of these once it's programmed. But if you really only need the one, it would probly be quicker to just spin one out on the manual lathe. If you would like, you can give me a ring 406-868-1260. I would need to know what material you would want this made of. Also I would need the dimensions. Thanks, Howard. R&R Machine.