586,061 active members*
4,414 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Engraving between the sides of a font

Cool Engraving between the sides of a font

Does anyone know if you can engrave between the sides of a font using Mastercam X2?

I would like to engrave using a ball EM and have the ball tangent to both sides of the font thereby showing only one pass on the part. (the depth would vary according the the width of the font.)

If this is not possible, what other alternatives are there for engraving? I do not like the choices on single fonts available and I do not like the appearance of double lines on my letters.

Can you post an example file with the text included?

I can only show you what I can do, not what I want.
    Here are some true type letters that I would like to machine in one pass, not the double contour that I show in the file.

I tried to upload a mcx file but it looks like I cannot. (either mcx files are invaild or the size was too large) What kind of file are you looking for?

here is a dwg file of some letters
    Attached Files Attached Files

Compressed files like .zip are ok to upload. (if not too big file size)

Ok I checked the dwg file. Do you want to remove material inside or outside the letters?

If you are wanting to engrave in 1 pass, it is best done using "stick" type fonts ( single line, comp OFF, no lead in/out ). This involves creating geometry down the centre if the letter where the tool would pass.

if you are wanting to use the geometry in the DWG file, the you should be pocketing those shapes if "sinking the letters" to get the full definition, but you can contour the shape ( but this is not engraving in 1 pass as you want ). Tool Ø should be smaller than the thinest gap, lead in/out should be OFF to start with.

If the letters are to be "raised", then a boundary rectangle around the letters and "pocket" that shape using the letters as "islands".

I created an archived file of the mcx file but this site still will not let me upload it for some reason.

I want to engrave the inside in one pass. As I stated before, I an not satisfied with the stick fonts available.

Is there a way to finish pocket the font using both sides. Or maybe another toolpath that i am unaware of that can machine both sides of the font at the same time, or maybe machine one side while using the other side to as some sort of border or edge to keep the tool away from.

Quote Originally Posted by bilbo22 View Post
    I created an archived file of the mcx file but this site still will not let me upload it for some reason.
    .MCX is not a permitted extension to attach a file

Many would create a compressed folder (ZIP), place the files in that folder then attach that folder.

but NOTE,
    any additons to that folder after attaching have not been uploaded

I tried archiving a mcx file for uploading, but every time I try, I get a message that tells me that I cannot upload it.

Does anyone know of any other software out there where I can follow a true type font in one pass? By follow I mean, have the tool follow both sides of the geometry moving Z up and down to generate the width?

Quite a few years ago ( another Co )
    Making raisd and sunk lettering on stamps / foil dies and so forth
    I used "CasMate Pro" , but that software may be put to bed by now.
    It was a sign writing software with good font editing/morphing capabilities, and could use files common throughout the printing / labeling industry

There are other engraving suites, I haven't used Mastercam's "Engraving". Have you tried "Surface Rough Pencil" paths on your letters ( only if you have a solid or surfaces) to get surfaces , just "Draft surface" the letter geometry