586,058 active members*
3,320 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Poor Mans CNC Brake

After looking at Big Toys press brake build I think he stole the show. I must say for a home build it is awesome. Some day I hope to own such a press brake but for now I will have to settle for my poor mans CNC brake.

It is a 48" x 12 gage National finger brake converted to hydraulics. After setting it up it will repeat the same bend all day. I installed a cheap linear read out scale and an electrical switch for setting and controlling position.

I also added a rotary encoder and a read out I bought off ebay for 75.00 for quick one off bends. The hydraulic system is single acting so I placed the counter weights on the handles to speed the return of the leaf after a bend. The handle valve on the stand ports to the oil tank when opened. When Making a bend I can crack the valve and "throttle" the speed down to a snails pace for better control.

Magma-joe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Brake 1.jpg   Brake 2.jpg   Brake 3.jpg   Brake 4.jpg  

Brake 5.jpg   Brake 6.jpg   Brake 7.jpg   Brake 8.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by magma-joe View Post
    After looking at Big Toys press brake build I think he stole the show. I must say for a home build it is awesome. Some day I hope to own such a press brake but for now I will have to settle for my poor mans CNC brake.

It is a 48" x 12 gage National finger brake converted to hydraulics. After setting it up it will repeat the same bend all day. I installed a cheap linear read out scale and an electrical switch for setting and controlling position.

I also added a rotary encoder and a read out I bought off ebay for 75.00 for quick one off bends. The hydraulic system is single acting so I placed the counter weights on the handles to speed the return of the leaf after a bend. The handle valve on the stand ports to the oil tank when opened. When Making a bend I can crack the valve and "throttle" the speed down to a snails pace for better control.

Magma-joe
    That is a super nice setup....

Garry

You've acheived repeatable performance on a low budget setup. Nice work and well done!

That's cool!

BW
    Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html