586,567 active members*
3,561 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Other Machines > Engraving Machines > Sammy - The Story Of A Little Engraver

Sammy - The Story Of A Little Engraver

As the title suggests this is the retrofit log of a small engraver, here are the before photo's...he was already named Sammy by the previous owner (as you may notice) and if you go by maritime law you should never re-name a boat as it is bad luck, same applies here
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sammy 001.jpg   sammy 002.jpg   sammy 003.jpg  

I have a build plan for Sammy, use what I have available, and not spend a cent - I make no apologies for this, I will re-use anything I can from old parts and what I have in my shed to get the job done. Luckily I have some nice parts lying around

Any Hoo, here is the old controller, it looks like it had a keyboard and video interface originally and some serious electronics, but judging from the dust this may not work anymore...I may need more contact cleaner

The top view shows some inner workings, there are existing limits I will use if I can, as well as the stepper wiring and connection to the control cabinet, as it is all done and no real need to change anything.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sammy 005.jpg   sammy 006.jpg   sammy 007.jpg  

Here are some closeups of the front and rear, I will use the LED on the front for power indication and the plugs and sockets at the rear for power input and possibly power to the new VFD running the spindle...also I have an old transformer lying around that outputs either 28 or 30 VAC that should be perfect to power the Gecko G251's I have in mind.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sammy 008.jpg   sammy 009.jpg   sammy 010.jpg  

Here is the old spindle motor, this had a long and involved belt drive system, also the spindle itself was missing, wont be using this
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sammy 004.jpg  

Here is a pic of the front panel, I have changed the old red LED for a new green LED, which is a vast improvement in my opinion sorry for the blurry photo's, sometimes I have a beer while taking photo's...

Also a pic of the gutted control box with some newer hardware installed...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sammy 013.jpg   sammy 012.jpg  

Here is the VFD that will drive the spindle, lying around the shed of course !
    This is actually the VFD I have to run my new router that I am building, for now it can stay on Sammy until I have built the next router, the way I build things I have at least two good years before it is a problem !

The spindle itself is an Italian built beast, 150 Watt, er11 collet chuck three phase 240 volt, the VFD is a 240 single phase to 240 three phase type, perfect !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sammy vfd.JPG  

Alright, here is the electronics finished (mostly) and powered up, also the spindle mounted, this is how the machine is right now, all I need to do is to connect the limits as mentioned earlier. If anybody has noticed I haven't used a BOB on this build, but have chosen to take the connections directly to the Gecko's, this is all fine and dandy but I still need to have an estop and three limits/homing switches, also possibly a zero tool setter...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sammy controls.JPG   sammy!.JPG  

Well the best way I can see to add the limits/homing switches is to make a little PCB that I can add to make life easier, if only I had some way to do this...lol

Nothing could be a better test for Sammy than to make himself this PCB, after some mucking around, I found an old heatsink (yes in the shed !) that fits surprisingly well where the old job mounting assembly was, I got my mate to skim a little off the top and bottom to make a flat surface that sat onto the machined surface on the bottom of the work area and also a flat surface to stick the PCB's to be machined onto on the top. With a little time and effort I can see this being transformed to a vacuum table sometime in the future.

Here is the all important video of the PCB being milled

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Icr4j0IpIiU"]YouTube - Sammy Milling PCB[/nomedia]

Here is a pic of the finished product...unfortunately I thought of the tool setter a little too late and only have inputs for three limits/homing and one estop, I could probably ditch a limit or double it up, I don't like the idea of no estop, or I could just mill another tiny PCB just for the tool setter, sounds like a plan

That is it for now, I will do some more in a weeks time to finish the build, pretty happy with the results so far, the PCB is neat and tidy, and should work without a hitch.

Russell.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PCB.JPG  

Excellent BuildLog, thanks for sharing the information, very nice machine.

Tweakie.
    CNC is only limited by our imagination.

Sammy is cool. And probably pretty old based on the original stepper drivers which look to be 4 FET unipolars with 2-transistor constant current supplies (on the heatsinks). And would have almost certainly been full step drive (yech!).

Anyway congrats on the rebuild, he's a good machine. He would also be good as a rotary engraver with that vertical height!

Are you going to engrave a nice new "Sammy" name plate? "Sammy II" perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Tweakie View Post
    Excellent BuildLog, thanks for sharing the information, very nice machine.

Tweakie.
    Cheers Tweakie

Quote Originally Posted by RomanLini View Post
    Sammy is cool. And probably pretty old based on the original stepper drivers which look to be 4 FET unipolars with 2-transistor constant current supplies (on the heatsinks). And would have almost certainly been full step drive (yech!).

Anyway congrats on the rebuild, he's a good machine. He would also be good as a rotary engraver with that vertical height!

Are you going to engrave a nice new "Sammy" name plate? "Sammy II" perhaps?
    Hi Roman, yes the old drivers were most likely fullstep, I thought of firing them up to see what happened but decided to just go and replace the lot.

There is actually a rotary axis that came with the machine, I don't know exactly what I should do with it, the reason I have sammy is so I can make PCB's and not have to drill them out, which is really awesome, especially watching all the drill holes being done - so much better than me sitting on a drill press for half an hour !

My original thought was to use the rotary axis to flip a double sided board over to allow for machining both sides with one setup, still thinking about that one, add a toolchanger and that would be one sweet setup.

Funny you mention making a new name plate, I certainly intend to do so, I just need to find the right material, I could use that plastic stuff, or maybe a small piece of timber with some nice V-carving might be the go.

With a bit of luck I will retrofit a second machine before the BBQ very similar to Sammy but with a bigger cutting area, that is the machine that I will use Linisteppers on. I will use Sammy to make the boards for that machine.

Cheers.

Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by epineh View Post
    My original thought was to use the rotary axis to flip a double sided board over to allow for machining both sides with one setup, still thinking about that one, add a toolchanger and that would be one sweet setup.
    That is a very clever idea! I'm just thinking it offers a few technical difficulties in how you will edge-hold the PCB to a precision flatness etc. Besides the extra complexity of the rotating jig it may require extra work to pre-shape the PCB before milling and maybe more time affixing the PCB too before milling.

It might be better to make a nice jig that allows easy and accurate board alignment, but still allow imperfect PCB shape and good clamping to take out the bow. Turning the PCB over is likely an operation that only has to be done once, so if it is fast to do and realign then it might still be faster and more convenient to do it manually.

Quote Originally Posted by epineh View Post
    Funny you mention making a new name plate, I certainly intend to do so, I just need to find the right material, I could use that plastic stuff, or maybe a small piece of timber with some nice V-carving might be the go.
    You can get the plastic stuff with a metal top layer, I have seen silver and gold finishes at local engraving shops. Or carve it deep in 6mm white acrylic and fill the engraving with black epoxy?

Yeah the actual nitty gritty of flipping the boards automagically would probably make things a lot more complicated than just manually flipping and re-aligning as you mention, it was a nice thought though

I may just have to settle for a toolchanger