586,036 active members*
3,664 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > might sound crazy, control Haas TM1 w Mach3

might sound crazy, control Haas TM1 w Mach3

I know this might sound crazy but I need/want to have the capability of running macros, a 4th axis, scan probing and automaic tool-setting on my perfectly good Haas TM1, with 10 spot tool changer and highspeed milling, but I can't afford the $2200 to $2600 for each option to be turned on. I have renishaw probe tooling, and a 4th axis rotary unit available.

What I am wondering is, can I use Mach3 to control the Haas servos and spindle and the options listed above? Keeping in mind that I don't intend on removing the Haas control, just dissconnecting what is needed, and setting up a pc with Mach 3 to be the controller along side the original Haas control.

Any thoughts or comments are welcome, positive or negative.

Thanks in advance

for your 4th axis you'll need the driver so that alone will cost a good chunk of change so would it be worth it in the long term to create an abortion that won't match up to your haas control if you ever plan to run the machine like its meant to or is it worth spending the extra to have it all proper
    with the probing is it an i need it or an i want it thing , probing can save some energy for edge finding but not much , and a sweep with a quality dial will usually produce better measuring results .
    automatic tool probing is only worth having in high volume production machining cells that run multiple pallets where tool breakage may be an issue , otherwise it takes seconds to manually qualify a tool
    I can understand the macro need or want ,

I'm not trying to neg the idea , i simply look at it as you've spent the money to buy yourself a nice little machine setup and some things are worth waiting for the time when the money is there
    converting it to run from mach would be a step backward i think,
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Thanks for the response dertsap,

In regards to the tool setting and probe, I am most interested in scanning surfaces. I figured if I had the probe and macro capability to do that, the tool setter/edge finder is a second level feature that is available.

I understand that I would need a driver for the 4th axis, I have bought tools and items off of ebay and would hope to find what I need and still keep costs down.

Are you suggesting that Mach3 is not capable enough at controlling those features, compared to the Haas, or that it wouldn't be possible to make a clean connection to the haas machine itself.

In a way, I don't really want to convert the Haas, but to piggyback another controller along side the Haas, with minimal disconnect/conversion. I know, its one of those "I want my cake and eat it too" situations, just wondering if its viable?

What other features is mach3 capable of, maybe that will open new venues for different types of work.

I originally started acquiring the probe and 4th axis because I have an older BOSS 5 series 1 that I wanted to replace the controller and be able to run the scanning and 4th axis machining on. I just wish I could do it on my Haas instead.

Thanks again, anymore comments are appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by MMTechi View Post
    Are you suggesting that Mach3 is not capable enough at controlling those features, compared to the Haas, or that it wouldn't be possible to make a clean connection to the haas machine itself.

What other features is mach3 capable of, maybe that will open new venues for different types of work.
    I'm not suggesting that mach is incapable because it is quite capable and customizable with various plugins available but doesn't quite have the same feel . I just don't picture it to be a clean connection and i would imagine the costs will get up there if it is do-able
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

I could be a nice guy and tell you all the reasons this is a positively moronic idea. We could tell you how you'd simply be ruining a good machine to make it into a mediocre machine. We could cost-justify why this is cheaper to just pay for the Haas options and move on with your life. We could do that but, you already know it (and I think you're trolling) so, I'm just going to say:

I think it's a wonderful idea. Please post pictures.

(this forum needs more trainwrecks)
    Greg

You need to pony up, and buy the options for the haas. We surface scan/ probe all the time with our haas mill. I takes master cam to generate the code to scan also.
    Trying to intergrate a hobby controller into the haas will be explosion waiting to happend for sure. The mach 3 is possible to what you want, but ist's a far cry from a real cnc control system.
    Good luck.
    HAAS VF3-5 axis trunion
    Mastercam X3

Quote Originally Posted by DRD View Post
    I takes master cam to generate the code to scan also.
    Can you go more indepth as to what you are refering to here? Are you reverse engeneering here to some degree, or just checking parts after machining, etc?