587,006 active members*
3,248 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 29 123412
    Awesome, I will pick up the C11G soon and will also add a sensor to input the spindle speed into Mach 3. I think I have narrowed it down to The Bolton ZX45 due to it having a larger travel than most of the other cloans and a 2HP motor.

As for ball screws what do you think about this set?

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-RM1605-300-500...item3a557b57db

I would request a longer screw for the Z of course, and I'm not totally sure on how long I would need them but it would be to easy to cut and re machine the free end of the screw.

Another RF-45 build--excellent!

BTW, I read that the G320X is no longer as sensitive to the encoders. Nevertheless, the AMT encoders are nicer units.

I'll second the notion of the one shot oiler. I wouldn't want to be without mine.

I am curious to hear what backlash the linearmotionbearings ballscrews have since they are not double nut ballscrews.

Cheers,

BW
    Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Is there any benefit of buying a RF45 clone with power head lift?
    Looks like this power lift model has a motor on top of the column
    http://www.lovangersmaskin.se/produc...roducts_id/516

Quote Originally Posted by daman View Post
    Is there any benefit of buying a RF45 clone with power head lift?
    Looks like this power lift model has a motor on top of the column
    http://www.lovangersmaskin.se/produc...roducts_id/516
    Daman, if you plan to CNC you will be discarding that lift, so I wouldn't pay the extra for it. It's a free workout for your biceps without it!

Cheers,

BW
    Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Quote Originally Posted by BobWarfield View Post
    Another RF-45 build--excellent!

I am curious to hear what backlash the linearmotionbearings ballscrews have since they are not double nut ballscrews.

Cheers,

BW
    i heard a rumour that the circuits are spread out in the ballnuts to give it the anti-backlash, with no adjustables... we'll see how well works,

matt

Quote Originally Posted by mattmark View Post
    i heard a rumour that the circuits are spread out in the ballnuts to give it the anti-backlash, with no adjustables... we'll see how well works,

matt
    I have an RM1204 and an RM1605 on my lathe. They both have separate circuits on each side of the nut, so there is some preload giving it effectively zero backlash. The preload appears to be pretty low, though, and I don't know how or if it can be adjusted, or if there is really backlash when that preload is exceeded.

I'm planning on using double nuts with additional preload if there's room. Some rough measurements on the Y-axis makes me think I was hasty in buying 2 nuts for that axis, though. At $26 each, I'm not too concerned

Jeff

ballnuts

Quote Originally Posted by Flenser View Post
    I have an RM1204 and an RM1605 on my lathe. They both have separate circuits on each side of the nut, so there is some preload giving it effectively zero backlash. The preload appears to be pretty low, though, and I don't know how or if it can be adjusted, or if there is really backlash when that preload is exceeded.

I'm planning on using double nuts with additional preload if there's room. Some rough measurements on the Y-axis makes me think I was hasty in buying 2 nuts for that axis, though. At $26 each, I'm not too concerned

Jeff
    hey jeff,

agreed - the y-axis is pretty tight.. i have very little additional height clearance on the flange of the ballnut (from lmb), because of the table... and that's after changing the direction of the way the flange is facing (taking out and repacking the ball bearings was educational).. if you can get 2 ballnuts in there, i'd like to see it!

matt

Quote Originally Posted by mattmark View Post
    hey jeff,

agreed - the y-axis is pretty tight.. i have very little additional height clearance on the flange of the ballnut (from lmb), because of the table... and that's after changing the direction of the way the flange is facing (taking out and repacking the ball bearings was educational).. if you can get 2 ballnuts in there, i'd like to see it!

matt
    I haven't given up hope completely on using a double nut, but it sure doesn't look good. The other mill showed up at the office today, so as soon as I get it home and setup I'll be able to tear the 45 down and get a better look.

Jeff

The ball screws are not double nut but my guess is because they are advertising anti-backlash nuts that they are using over-sized balls in the nuts. This will be my first use of ball screws so we will see how it goes.

Spoke with Arturo from CNC4PC and they suggested I use the C11T due to added features for the G320 drivers. The C11T will also send a 0-10VDC signal to a commercial VFD but I will be needing a C3 card to feed the spindle speed into Mach 3. No just what VFD to use...

I got my VFD from dealers electric, a GE D5815. Its been great and was exactly what it was advertised as (new surplus in factory carton) for a good price. http://dealerselectric.com/item.asp?cID=&PID=1028

I oversized it a bit oversized (3hp) as I bought it before I bought my motor (was aiming for 3hp but ended up with 2hp)

I'll probably buy another from them when the time comes to do something on my lathe. Actually I should buy it now before it disappears (I had book marked a 2hp version for my lathe but its gone....)

Mike

If I am correct I can take a 3PH driver and run 1PH motor with just using 1 pole from the VFD right? Or would I need to change to a 3Ph motor?

vfds

Quote Originally Posted by eartaker View Post
    No just what VFD to use...
    I've heard lots of good things about the Teco FM50:
    http://www.factorymation.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.13/.f

upon further recommendations, I ended up picking up the Teco 7300CV sensorless: http://www.factorymation.com/s.nl/sc...egory.15366/.f

matt
    ps not sure about the 1 pole question. haven't gotten to the VFD part yet

Quote Originally Posted by eartaker View Post
    If I am correct I can take a 3PH driver and run 1PH motor with just using 1 pole from the VFD right? Or would I need to change to a 3Ph motor?
    Don't know for sure, but I would expect a VFD to fault with just one circuit wired like that. Also, I don't know how well you will be able to control the RPM on a SP motor which has a 180 deg phase angle. The 60 deg phase angle of 3P motor will make RPMs a lot easier to control under a load. This is the motor I've been planning to pick up.

Teco.....

Definitely get the Teco.... I got the sensorless vector drive too and it is excellent. My pal Art also has a teco and recommended it to me as well....

Why the hell would you want to power a single phase motor with a three phase vfd? Not sure what it is you are after, am I correct in assuming you have three phase wall power in your shop? Most here have single phase power and require the vfd for three phase conversion to run three phase motors? Peace

I was looking at running a single PH motor so I could keep from having to change it out but it looks like I will be picking up a 3Ph motor eventually. I do not have 3Ph power in my shop only 1Ph.

I would say to get the......

I would say to get the Three phase motor in either two or three HP and get a vfd or sensorless vector of your choice. If you can it may be possible to order your machine with the three phase motor so all you have to buy is the vfd at around $150.00 or so.... That would be the best way I would think..... peace

Pete

Made it home and placed an order for over $600 in random tooling, about to place the order for the RF-45.

I am glad you made it hope safely, Thanks for serving, Bro.

Well I did it, the wife is going to kill me but I ordered the Bolton hardware ZX45, should be here by Friday. Already have the Servo motors, the encoders, and the Gecko 320X's (smaller than I thought they would be). Waiting on the mill, About to order the C11T breakout board along with some timing pulleys, belts and, ball screws....

Page 2 of 29 123412