586,051 active members*
3,590 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Looking to buy some electronics

I'm a newb and still not sure exactly of the finer details of my machine (still lots of reading to do) but I've got some cash handy and thought I'd buy an electronics kit for my build before it burns a hole in my pocket and gets spent on something else. At least that way I'm committed to build the machine, and it will give me a chance to play with it and get it working while I do the build.

I'm not exactly sure what I need, mostly just basing my opinion on what others are using and what's popular. My needs/wants are:

- 2'x4' capacity so I can accept a 1/4 sheet 'handy panel'
    - wood will include MDF, BB ply, and some hardwoods
    - Acrylic and polycarbonate up to 1/2" thick
    - I'd like to do a little aluminum work if the machine ends up stiff enough, which will probably include making faceplates for various projects and modifying heatsinks
    - This is a big maybe but I'd also like to do a little copper. This would be for water blocks for computers. Required tolerances here are actually pretty loose. The flat side will be finished by hand any way and top side will have a rubber seal. And if I get rough cuts on the innards it may actually help .
    - PCB's
    - speed isn't much of a concern since this is a hobby not production

Other than that the only other decisions I've penciled in are I'll probably use rack and pinion for the x and y and 1/2" acme for the z. I have a Bosch Colt that is not getting much use otherwise so that is planned to go in this machine. This is what I'm considering at the moment and if I buy it there I can also get the R&P parts too saving on shipping... always a concern since I live in Canada.

I'd like to hear opinions on that CNCRP kit, or if I should be looking at something else - and why. If I've left out any important info let me know and I'll try to answer as best I can, but take it easy on the new guy!

Thanks for any help!
    Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Biff View Post
    I'm considering at the moment and if I buy it there I can also get the R&P parts too saving on shipping... always a concern since I live in Canada.
    They appear to be a US company so I assume you would still have to get it across the border?
    For large items like R&P, contact the local bearing companies and see if any can supply either Boston Gear or Martin R&P. If so you just pick it up locally.
    I may work out cheaper?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Thanks, I'm no stranger to shipping from the States. Usually the charges aren't that bad, but when you start getting things from various places the shipping adds up quickly... though there are some companies that have their heads in the clouds. Hopefully I'll be able to source the rack somwhere near Toronto.

Judging on where you live, there are places in the US that allow you to ship things there for the US rate, and they charge like $10 or whatever, and then you can go pick it up. For my that works out as I live quite close to the border. If you're lucky they won't even charge duty fees. I got $800USD worth of Audio equipment shipped and across the border for free

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse B View Post
    Judging on where you live, there are places in the US that allow you to ship things there for the US rate, and they charge like $10 or whatever, and then you can go pick it up. For my that works out as I live quite close to the border. If you're lucky they won't even charge duty fees. I got $800USD worth of Audio equipment shipped and across the border for free
    I've heard of places like that but don't even know what they're called so it's hard to find them. Buffalo is only a couple hours away so a place like that would be REALLY helpful. Got any clues for me?

So logistics aside, what about the kit?

Should work fine for a router that size.

I'll ask my sister what the place is called and let you know when I hear back from her.

Should work fine for a router that size.

I'll ask my sister what the place is called and let you know when I hear back from her.
    Actually I just looked into it and the UPS store does that service for $10. Probably a few bucks more than an independent but then there's probably a better infrastructure should a problem arise.

Actually I just looked into it and the UPS store does that service for $10. Probably a few bucks more than an independent but then there's probably a better infrastructure should a problem arise.
    That's pretty cool. I'll be sure to remember that

I think that set is a good choice, especially since I have it

The Gecko 540 is probably exactly what you want, the motors seem good, and the wires are very nice as is the power supply. Beware that you will need some more parts to complete the electronics, depending on how automated you want to be: home/limit switches, relay for the router power, E-stop switch, etc. is not in the kit, and you probably want all of the above.

Still, it's an excellent start.

Don't forget Mach and a computer

Quote Originally Posted by brtech View Post
    I think that set is a good choice, especially since I have it

The Gecko 540 is probably exactly what you want, the motors seem good, and the wires are very nice as is the power supply. Beware that you will need some more parts to complete the electronics, depending on how automated you want to be: home/limit switches, relay for the router power, E-stop switch, etc. is not in the kit, and you probably want all of the above.

Still, it's an excellent start.

Don't forget Mach and a computer
    I agree. You'll only need a few additional parts as mentioned. You'll need limit switches, e-stop, and I'd get some fuses. Can never be too safe

Mach 3 is nice, but costs $175. EMC2 is free, but runs on Linux. It's your choice. There's a demo for Mach 3 on their website, so I'd try out both and see which you like.

CNCRouterParts is where I got my electronics and I think you would be wise to get yours there also. Ahren will work with you and answer any questions. He will not let you down after the sale.
    Regards, Carl

Check out finelineautomation.com for a complete kit.
    Aluminum based and as strong as all get out.
    Regards, Carl

Excellent feedback!

@brtech, Limit switches, relays, contactors, fuses, etc., wont be too hard to get my hands on if I don't have them in a bin around here already... I'm an electrician and loot stuff like that off buggered equipment. But thanks for the heads up!

@Jesse, I'll probably go with mach3. It seems to be the program of choice so I'm assuming it's very capable and $175 doesn't seem to bad (again if it's as good as its made out to be) and there's probably lot of support out there for it. I've tried running linux in the past a few times but sort of gave up on it. I was able to get things going the way I wanted to but it took a lot of time and googling. Unfortunately time is a premium these days so I stick to M$ based systems, not because I'm a fan of M$ but I can make 'em work with minimal time investment. I do wish I had the time to devote to learning linux though, maybe I should think about doing a dual boot so I can tinker with it from time to time. My 'garage' computer has a Athlon II 425 (with the 4th core unlocked) running at 3.0GHz... for now. I'm assuming this is good enough? I need to get a parallel port though, is there anything special I should be looking for or will any one do?

@eaglezsoar, so far I've read good things about Ahren but it's good to hear there is good support for his products. I'm sure buying a complete kit is the smart thing to do but it's not really what I'm after. I enjoy designing and building things and that includes tools. It's gratifying to make something nice that you designed but I find its gratifying x2 to make something nice that you designed using a tool that you built. That may not make much sense and I may end up with an inferior tool but it's not the path I want to take. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Ryan

i'd second ahrens's stuff. it is just better finished then a lot of the other offerings and do not underestimate how awesome it is to use his cables to hook things up.

@Jesse, I'll probably go with mach3. It seems to be the program of choice so I'm assuming it's very capable and $175 doesn't seem to bad (again if it's as good as its made out to be) and there's probably lot of support out there for it. I've tried running linux in the past a few times but sort of gave up on it. I was able to get things going the way I wanted to but it took a lot of time and googling. Unfortunately time is a premium these days so I stick to M$ based systems, not because I'm a fan of M$ but I can make 'em work with minimal time investment. I do wish I had the time to devote to learning linux though, maybe I should think about doing a dual boot so I can tinker with it from time to time. My 'garage' computer has a Athlon II 425 (with the 4th core unlocked) running at 3.0GHz... for now. I'm assuming this is good enough? I need to get a parallel port though, is there anything special I should be looking for or will any one do?
    That computer is more than enough for what you need Way more

EMC2 does come on an Ubuntu Live CD pre-installed, so you can fool around with it without having to do a full install.

Pretty much any PCI Parallel Port Card should work. I feel like there's one specific chipset that doesn't work well but I can't remember for the life of me.

That computer is more than enough for what you need Way more

EMC2 does come on an Ubuntu Live CD pre-installed, so you can fool around with it without having to do a full install.

Pretty much any PCI Parallel Port Card should work. I feel like there's one specific chipset that doesn't work well but I can't remember for the life of me.
    Well that's the plan right now for it but it may end up in my HTPC which would then put a E3110 (same as E8400) into the garage computer. That's enough too then if I go that route? BTW e3110 is runing at 3.6GHz but only dual core

Yeah I forgot linux can run off live CD.... still If I was going to play with it, it wouldn;t be much to do the dual boot and not have to run around and find CDs. Making myself look lazy here!

Well that's the plan right now for it but it may end up in my HTPC which would then put a E3110 (same as E8400) into the garage computer. That's enough too then if I go that route?

Yeah I forgot linux can run off live CD.... still If I was going to play with it, it wouldn;t be much to do the dual boot and not have to run around and find CDs. Making myself look lazy here!
    Yep, that'd still be a plenty capable rig. It doesn't take much to run these programs.

Mach3 Minimum Requirements:

* 32-bit version of Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 Operating System
    * 1Ghz CPU
    * 512MB RAM
    * Non-integrated Video Card with 32MB RAM
    * Basic Computer Skills (ability to copy/rename files, browse directories, etc)
    * Desktop PC (if using the Mach3 Parallel Port Driver - laptops are not supported because the power saving features of the chipsets disrupt the pulse stream, PCMCIA and USB parallel adaptors will *not* work.)

Huh, didn't know about the non-integrated video part. Why is that? Both mobo's have reasonable on board though I was planning on getting a vid card anyway since it will do BD playback from time to time. Both 'say' they can do it but I'd prefer a separate. I'm just surprised they spec it. And who has a vid card with only 32Mb these days?!

I have no clue why that is posted. I'm running Mach3 in Simulation mode with a Video Card, if that means anyways. Maybe someone else will chime in.

Seems a little odd that you can't run integrated which is 3xxx series on this mobo yet a vid card that was status quo 10 years ago or so is OK.

Page 1 of 2 12