586,072 active members*
4,699 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Ovearhead clearance.

When I order the 770, it states I need 84" of height. Does anyone know if I have about 86 if I will have enough room to even get the thing assembled to it's base? Will need to use a lift and brace for sure.

Might need to add that the website lists the height at 84" but the dimensions for the unit on their stand shows 76". So need to make sure I have the right height and room before trying to install.

If it is like the PCNC 1100, you will only need maximum headroom when the mill is at maximum Z; at lower Z-heights you'll have more room. My PCNC 1100 is installed so that the head is between two ceiling joists in the basement - at max Z the top of Z stepper is just about even with the bottom edge of the joist. You might able to use a similar arrangement to make maximum use of the space available.

Mike

Maybe that is what I am missing. I only need the 76" for installation but the 84" for clearance. If that is the case, then the finished part of my basement I planned on putting it will work.

I have about 5” of overhead clearance in my extremely small shop for the PCNC 1100 or 88”. When I got the Tormach power draw bar there was some concern about the limited overhead clearance for the new cable flex carrier that was added with the new power draw bar. It turned out that the cable flex carrier just followed the roof using its articulating segments. The 5” of overhead clearance proved adequate to accommodate the flex carrier for the power draw bar as shown in the following photo. http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...dClearance.jpg

Don

@Don

Thanks. After re-reading the manual and looking at the dimensions(and emailing Tormach) it seems the 76" dim is correct if using their stand. The higher dimension for the 770 comes if using a standard height which I think was 36 inches.

So I should be good to go! Thanks for the picture.. That is getting kinda close