586,033 active members*
3,667 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12
    Greg,

I always send them email, that's the only way to contact them.

Paul

I've been about a week now with no answer, always makes me think twice before sending money.

Greg,

If you have a boring head, it's pretty trivial to make motor mounts for the X1 using only the manual X1. That's how I did mine. I also chose to drive the quill rather than the head, since the motors I had laying around were not big enough to do more. It worked, but it has HUGE backlash. You could use it for 2.5D milling but not 3D. I used it to make the parts for my X2, after which I sold the X1.

Anyway, I'd either get a boring head or rotary table and make the parts yourself. You only need about $20 of aluminum and some bearings. A lathe is also real helpful, a 7x is plenty.

I have a rotary table and DRO but no lathe. I was hoping for a quicker time to functional than making my own mounts. Might not have a choice. You are right the backlash on the quill is huge, I was only really looking for 2D but I need to be able to pull the tool out of a pocket and move to the next hole and I don't think I can get that with the Z axis unlocked.

Up until a few days ago I had a project on the table, now that it is done I can look at ways to make some mounts. I already have thrust bearings and extra mounts for the handle end of the acme screws that I could probably modify to help hold a motor mount. I guess I shouldn't be in a big hurry since I still have no idea what stepper controller I want to use. I was going to cut the new mounts to put the bearing in and use them hand crank but I'm thinking more and more about CNC.

I unfortunately have to report that I have had a really bad experience with dealing with CNC Fusion so far. Before i knew they existed I purchased a Sieg SX2 i would like to add that this would be my 3rd CNC machine with the previous ones having been built myself from controller to the entire table however I wanted something smaller and a little more precise and the Seig seemed to be perfect.

Initially I converted the unit using M8 rod, hand milled blocks and buts that I made a nylon insert for. the unit worked OK but as would be expected small round holed ended up more of an oval than round.

I ordered a kit from CNC Fusion and actually had organised a small job that would have paid for the kit, initially I was going to get them to send it via a faster courier method but decided that the 10 days was acceptable and had extended the project.

I paid for the project then heard nothing expecting it to have been on its way. Then I received shipping confirmation quite some time after payment I queried this and received an apology for the delay. then while being shipped it appears the kit went missing CNC Fuision referred me to the tracking number then suggested I follow it up with USPS. I did and was none the wiser however it eventually arrived so I headed out to pick it up.

I unpacked the kit and found there was a gouge out of one of the motor mounts that looked like some careless character had clipped it with a cutoff saw. however this was purely superficial and not critical to its performance so I continued with the installation and upgrade.

I stripped down my mill, cleaned it then started to reassemble as per the instructions. The Y was first and that went together easier than was expected. things just bolted up and there was an immediate increase in speed as well as smoothness of movement.

Next was the Y and after assembling it would not run well at all. I looked at the ball screw and it was wiggling as it rotated. My initial thoughts were that it was bent. I loosened one end and found it was moving a good 2mm when tweaked back up the axis would stall.
    I pulled the entire assembly apart then noticed that the zero backlash coupling did not quite look right. I found that the larger 9mm hole appeared slightly off center but ever worse the 6.3mm hole on the motor end was at least 1mm out. I took video and a photo to send to CNC Fusion and did not get a great response.

"You’re wearing me out Andrew :-/ "
    along with another email that suggests I just tighten it down and run it, if it breaks they will replace it. Fact is I would but when its tightened down it will not run at all.

That was the last email I received until this morning when I placed a complaint with Paypal. Oh I can ship it back at my costs for a refund but lets face it after having paid for the item, waited for it, spent more than a few hours tracking it down then paying for import duty and our goods service tax the kit is just about the same price as the milling machine.

CNC Fusion have the replacement parts for $24.00 + shipping but that is likely to take another month to get here and whose to say the nest one will not have the same problem. I can purchase a replacement locally for about $85.00 and at this stage looks like my only option.

It is sad because I have just placed an order for a Lathe (C3) that was going to be converted as well as having queries from several others in the community I am active in wanting me to help them build their units. It seems that CNC Fusion has done themselves a great disservice by not acting proactively when there are issues.

Oh and I got the excuse that CNC Fusion is only a small company run by Michael and Shelly but this unfortunately does not wash with me as I am pretty much in the same boat. I work for 2 small companies and work for a large Museum as well as have a family and 3 young boys. Admittedly my work hours start at about 5AM and go to about 9pm but that is what happens when you are passionate about what you do.

Would I recommend CNC Fusion to others, At this stage defiantly not, would I deal with them again only if I really had to.

Quote Originally Posted by skullworks View Post

When people buy a kit, they take on the job of being a machine tool builder, the kit is just a collection of parts to help speed the process along...

...Its up to you to get what you need to make it work, and find the right people to ask questions to when you can't.
    Very well put.

I only bought a Z axis kit from them. Seemed well put together, but not well thought out.
    The only way the ball screw should travel with a way is straight down the center. The fact that it was offset to the side by a few inches eventually led to me doing my own Z axis.

I look it as a starter kit. Its just to get your feet wet, and then you move on up from there. All it does is get you understanding the fundamentals of CNC operations.

Originally Posted by skullworks

When people buy a kit, they take on the job of being a machine tool builder, the kit is just a collection of parts to help speed the process along...

...Its up to you to get what you need to make it work, and find the right people to ask questions to when you can't.
    That's all fine and dandy but you would expect that the kit is manufactured and passes some form of QC before being shipped. Having a gouge from a cutoff saw in one of the motor mounts and a zero backlash bearing that is not drilled with its holes centered is not good.

Then the attitude of "Send it back for a refund or replacement" when the we are pretty much on the other side of the world is again a bit on the nose.

If they had acknowledged the damage and been proactive I would have even paid for the $25.00 part that has rendered my upgrade project dead in the water but instead CNC Fusions attitude and lack of response puts them as the worsted company i have ever had the misfortune to deal with.

I received an email from CNCFusion regarding the issues I were having. They offered to ship a replacement and asked for a photo of the damage. It just so hapend that the day before I found someone who had the replacement part i was after for less than what it would have cost to ship it so I told them to hold off.
    The photo I sent allowed them to examine the damage and it appears that this may have been caused during shipping.

The good news is that after the replacement part arrived the rest of the kit went together a treat and is working perfectly. it seems that the kit has also resolved a few minor issues I was having such as head nod.

Although the I was pretty critical of CNCFusions service at first after getting the chance to discus the matter and opening a reasonable dialogue with them I would have to say they have restored my faith in their abilities and the company.

I just finally removed my head nod by scraping the top of the z gib (thread in x3 section)

I absolutely LOVE my cnc fusion kit and now realize that my zero backlash kit actually IS zero backlash, but the dovetails are too screwed up to allow it. I finally got my x & 3 to about .002". happy as a clam I am.

Quote Originally Posted by PriddyShiddy View Post
    I absolutely LOVE my cnc fusion kit and now realize that my zero backlash kit actually IS zero backlash
    I agree, the kit works well and if you order the oversize balls it is even better. not to mention the fact that the unit runs surprisingly fast compared to what it was going with the threaded rod.

Has the service from them improved . I am scared sh*tless now.... They are promp with the shipping at least right ?

Just give them plenty of time and don't be in a rush. After we broke down the communications issue things went well and i'm really happy with my kit. my Seig SX2 has been sitting there milling small gears and cogs from brass using a 1mm ball nose.

Defiantly give them a try.

Quote Originally Posted by ahooper View Post
    Just give them plenty of time and don't be in a rush. After we broke down the communications issue things went well and i'm really happy with my kit. my Seig SX2 has been sitting there milling small gears and cogs from brass using a 1mm ball nose.

Defiantly give them a try.
    Pics? sounds interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by nateman_doo View Post
    Pics? sounds interesting.
    If you have Facebook have a look at some of the bits
    Facebook

Facebook

Facebook

If not i have attached a couple of pictures. sorry for the size.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GearLayout-696.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	151248

Name:	WoodenGears-cherry-1mmEM.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	151249

Name:	8.8mmSpurGear.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	151250

Name:	ClockHands.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	151251

Very neat ahooper! curious how you set up the cut for the sheet.

I have been trying to cut some .125" thick 3"x2" butterflies for the wife. really they are to test my powder coating gun on, but them being hot-pink and purple butterflies for the wife means she is now happy about me spending another $600.

I tried using carpet tape to hold them down but its a PITA to stand there watching and re-code if the bit starts to cut the tape. I have just used clamps before but the center tends to lift slightly. I was thinking about trying super glue then. removing it with a heat gun, but haven't actually tired yet.

curious what you did. pretty nice set up with the nested parts and tabs.

Also, Is the last picture masters for casting earrings?

very cool stuff. wish I got to be more artistic with my time, but I'm generally stuck with boring crap... but it buys more toys, so I can't complain too much.

Very neat ahooper! curious how you set up the cut for the sheet.
    I was surprised how well they came out. The trick is to test your cutting bits and order extras because you are going to break the small ones. Pay for the expensive bits as they really do last longer and do a better job. I got some cheap Chinese carbide bits that all broke however the expensive coated carbide bits running at the same speed that broke them are still going strong.

In used a CAD application then ran it in to Mach3. I am in the process of testing an opensource application called inkscape that has a gear generator built in.

I have been trying to cut some .125" thick 3"x2" butterflies for the wife. really they are to test my powder coating gun on, but them being hot-pink and purple butterflies for the wife means she is now happy about me spending another $600.
    I know that feeling well. I am trying to justify a Seig C4 lathe at the moment

I tried using carpet tape to hold them down but its a PITA to stand there watching and re-code if the bit starts to cut the tape. I have just used clamps before but the center tends to lift slightly. I was thinking about trying super glue then. removing it with a heat gun, but haven't actually tired yet.
    Dont even bother with tape. I milled a peice of hard plastic about 20mm thick to have a recess in it and tapped holes around the outside that then put some M6 hex screws in to with a rounded head. I use no less that 4 of them to hold the work and usually only about 1mm on the head is on the work.
    The holder being plastic will not damage the bit and is sacrificial. I have also used MDF and other wood but it is not as good as plastic/acrylic

curious what you did. pretty nice set up with the nested parts and tabs.
    As above

Also, Is the last picture masters for casting earrings?

very cool stuff. wish I got to be more artistic with my time, but I'm generally stuck with boring crap... but it buys more toys, so I can't complain too much.
    All these gears and clock hands are for steampunk projects. I'm not using them to cast however was tempted to. I just like the sharp results of the milling machine.

When using small bits keep your speed down. I am running at 6mm/min with a 1mm end mill and a plunge rate of 4mm/min I can increase it a little for softer material. I am still only running at 2500RPM the max the X2 will go.

If you keep an eye on the chipout you can better judge the speed. in brass when you plunge you should get nice swirly bits coming off the bit and when you drive you should see reasonable chips about the size of the tooth. if you see what appears to be powder then you are going too slow and you will wear your bit out with heat build up. On the other hand if you are going too fast you will break your bit.

Oh and keep your broken bits. I use mine again by grinding a V and a flat to they can be used as V Bits as well as sometimes put a point on them for marking work.

i ordered mine and was told they were about 2 weeks out. I ordered it before i got everything else so i wouldn't be waiting on just that cause i know that feeling all too well. Sitting waiting on something for just a day feels like a week. It was almost 2 weeks to the day that I got a shipping notification via email. Had it in a few days and just started the install last night. I had a good experience with the company and from the customer service standpoint.

I've had my X2 kit for about 3 years. It's been great! It was super easy, with help from fusion's instructional videos to put the thing together. I forget where the backlash calculates to, but packed with the bearing upgrade, it's negligible for my purposes.

Page 2 of 2 12