586,103 active members*
3,426 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question noise in x axis

I went with friend of mine to look at a VCM 20 he was wanting to buy.For the price it seemed ok. The man selling it said at 100% rapid the x axis made a noise. So we did a g0 and it made a noise almost like a wiperbalde on a dry windsheild. (At least that is the sound I would think nearest to it that everyone would understand.)It ran well and made no noise at 50% rapid. I programed a couple of little things and it kept a good tolerance. It is not going to a shop but he does not want to buy trouble.
    What do you think could be cause of noise?

Wiperblade sound, I'd say waycover, there are probably piles of chips jammed up in there, really easy to clean out, and they can make a racket when they are moving fast.

If you can go back and take another look, it'll take about 2 minutes to pop 'em off. If its still making the noise, you've got some bigger problems.

Also they can rub on the sides of the way covers when the little piece of brass material wears away. Another cause is one spring breaks under the cover.
    Steve

I called and told him your thoughts. He is going to check it out tonight. Will let you know what he finds out.
    THANKS

He took off both covers and it still made noise. He said ways could be seen with table at extreems and they looked ok.

You may be hearing a thrust bearing or possible a ball screw. If you hear a "wop, wop" type of sound in rapid travel that mostly likely would indicate a ball screw issue.
    If the rest of the machine is solid that should not be a deal breaker.

Neal

noise

The easy way to track the issue is to just pull the motor off and turn the screw by hand you will be able to feel any bad bearings and the screw should move freely with the motor off,be sure to mark the coupler first so cs position is not lost.if the screw feels good check the motor bearings,if ok then take the coupler off and mount the motor back up and run it around and feel for bad bearings.

He waited to long someone else bought it. But I thank you for tring to help him.