586,121 active members*
3,156 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > help me decide how to drive my servos...

Question help me decide how to drive my servos...

I just bought a used 7'x10' vytec router that has been out of service for a couple of years. The control is junk, but the servo amps and all related power supply parts seem to be in great shape. machine was running when It was taken out of service.
    I am going to run this machine with Mach3. This will be my first time retrofitting a machine. I have a plasma table that uses mach and runs steppers so I am somewhat familiar with the software. My problem is how to interface to the old servo drives. I have seen several different ways to do this, but don't know what is the right direction.
    Is it better to:
    A: use a drive card like the kflop, or Galil card? and if so how do I decide which one to use? And what else would I need to use these cards to run the existing servo amps? BOB?
    B: Or is it better to go with something like the Gecko servo card because it accepts step and dir signals straight from mach?
    Budget is definitely in mind here but I want a good solution and won't cheap out just on cost, I want to make money with this machine so It needs to be reliable.
    Any input or point me in the right direction to read and learn would be appreciated. If I should be asking somewhere else on the forum please let me know.
    Thanks
    Dave

What do the existing drives use? step/dir or analogue?
    The Galil card does not require a P.P. BOB.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

existing servo drives are analog. they use standard 10v according to the manufacturer.

Information I have on the servo drives are copley drives Model 4122 operates from +22 to +90VDC unregulated power
    supplies, and outputs 10A continuous, 20A peak.
    The active logic-level of the amplifier Enable input is jumper
    selectable to GND or +5V to interface with different control cards. /
    Pos and /Neg enable inputs remain ground active for fail-safe
    operation
    TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS Test conditions: 25°C ambient, Load = 200μH. in series with 1 W., +HV = maximum normal value
    MODEL 4122 4212
    OUTPUT POWER
    Peak power ±20A @ ±80V ±12A @ ±120V
    Peak time 1 sec unipolar from 0A, 2 secs. after polarity reversal
    Continuous power ±10A @ ±80V ±6A @ ±120V
    OUTPUT VOLTAGE ±Vout = ±HV*(0.97) - (Ro)*(Io)
    Ro = 0.18W Ro = 0.4W
    LOAD INDUCTANCE Selectable with components on header socket: 200 μH to 40mH
    BANDWIDTH Current mode: 3kHz with 200μH load at maximum supply voltage, varies with load inductance and RH15, CH16 & CH17 values
    PWM SWITCHING FREQUENCY 25kHz
    REFERENCE INPUT Differential, 94K between inputs, ±20V maximum
    GAINS
    Input differential amplifier 1:1 (Volt / Volt)
    PWM transconductance stage Ipeak / 6V ( I peak = peak rated output current; 6V measured at Current Ref J2-9 )
    LOGIC INPUTS
    Input voltage range 0 to +24V
    Logic threshold voltage ( LO to HI transition ) 2.5V ( Schmitt trigger inputs with hysteresis )
    /Enable ( Internal jumper JP1 reverses logic ) LO enables amplifier, HI disables
    ( Default function with JP-1 on pins 2-3. For +5V enable and GND inhibit, move JP1 to pins 1-2 )
    Time delay on Enable 0.9 ms after Enable true to amplifier ON, <1ms to disable
    /POS enable, /NEG enable Gnd enables positive or negative output currents. +5V or open inhibits (<1ms delay)
    ( Setting of JP-1 has no effect on ground-active level of /POS and /NEG enable inputs )
    /Reset LO resets latching fault condition, ground for self-reset every 200 ms.
    Input resistance 10K pull-up to +5V, R-C filters to internal logic
    POTENTIOMETER
    Balance Use to set output current or rpm to zero. RH1 = 10 MW for Balance function, RH1 = 100kW for Test function
    LOGIC OUTPUT
    +Fault ( /Normal ) HI = Overtemp OR output short OR power NOT-OK, OR NOT-Enabled; LO = Operating normally AND enabled
    HI output voltage +5V ( 3.3kW pullup resistor to +5V ) +50V maximum
    LO output voltage <0.5V typical, 1.25V @ 250mA max, Ro = 5W ( mosfet on resistance )
    INDICATOR (LED)
    Normal Green: ON = Amplifier Enabled AND Normal ( power OK, no output shorts, no overtemp )
    Red = Fault ( NOT Normal, see +Fault output above )
    ANALOG MONITOR OUTPUTS
    Current Ref ( current demand signal to pwm stage ) ±6V @ demands ±Ipeak
    Current Monitor ( motor or load current ) ±6V @ ±Ipeak (1kW, 33nF R-C filter)
    DC POWER OUTPUTS ±15VDC each output in series with 10kW
    PROTECTIVE FEATURES ( Note 1 )
    Output short circuit (output to output, output to ground) Latches unit OFF
    Overtemperature Latches unit OFF at 70°C on heatplate
    Undervoltage shutdown @ <20V <20V
    Overvoltage shutdown @ >92VDC >129VDC
    POWER REQUIREMENTS
    DC power (+HV) Transformer isolated from power mains +22 to +90VDC +22 to +125VDC
    Watts minimum 2.5W 2.7W
    Watts @ Icont 25W 41W
    THERMAL REQUIREMENTS
    Storage temperature range: -30 to +85°C; operating temperature range: 0 to 70°C baseplate temperature
    Notes: 1. Heatsink optional ( add “H” to model number) 2. Fan = forced air over unit @ 400 linear feet/minute
    MECHANICAL
    Amplifier case size 4.3 x 3.0 x 1.0 in. (109 x 76.2 x 25.4 mm.)
    Heatsink Adds 1.50 in. ( 38.1 mm ) to amplifier 1.0 in. dimension. Same length as amp.
    Weight 0.43 lb (0.2 kg.) for amplifier alone; heatsink adds 0.78 lb. (0.35 kg)

I use the DSPMC/ip to run my mill with +-10v analog amps (copley) and it works real well. V2 of the DSPMC/ip has up to 96 I/O which is great for adding all kinds of stuff.

Mike
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

Ok, The dspmc is one I am looking at. I have the chance to pick up a Galil DMC-2030 new for dirt cheap. Will this work for my application? I know it is a 3 axis controler, can I control the spindle with it? the machine has a VFD? If not can I still use the 2030 and control the spindle some other way?
    thanks
    dave

Ideally you would want a fourth axis if using XYZ at present.
    If you got it cheap enough, get a price from Galil to upgrade to 4 axis, usually a firmware change.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

as far as i know if using the galil plugin. you cant use the parallel port too so you need a 4 axis minimum controller if you want 3 axis plus spindle.
    so much to learn, so much to pass on.

Quote Originally Posted by CJdave View Post
    Ok, The dspmc is one I am looking at. I have the chance to pick up a Galil DMC-2030 new for dirt cheap. Will this work for my application? I know it is a 3 axis controler, can I control the spindle with it? the machine has a VFD? If not can I still use the 2030 and control the spindle some other way?
    thanks
    dave
    If your vfd for the spindle supports modbus you could drive it that way.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by TOTALLYRC View Post
    If your vfd for the spindle supports modbus you could drive it that way.

Mike
    Just read through the manual for the VFD (IDM P5 series). It looks like it does support Modbus.
    I can honestly tell you I have no Idea how modbus works, Is it something that is built into the Galil card, or will I need something else to run the VFD that way? I can pick up the Galil card for $175 so I would like to use it if it is posible, but don't want to make my life difficult if it's not going to work.
    Thanks
    Dave

It states in the manual "communication interface card SI-K2/P must be mounted.", but it looks like that is just a RS485-RS232 converter.

So I don't see why it can't just be connected to a PC via RS232 and controlled (although quickly browsing the manual I didn't spot a simple speed up/down command, the number of configs available is crazy ).

http://www.omron247.com/doc/pdfcatal...7P5man0606.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by CJdave View Post
    Just read through the manual for the VFD (IDM P5 series). It looks like it does support Modbus.
    I can honestly tell you I have no Idea how modbus works, Is it something that is built into the Galil card, or will I need something else to run the VFD that way? I can pick up the Galil card for $175 so I would like to use it if it is posible, but don't want to make my life difficult if it's not going to work.
    Thanks
    Dave
    Modus can be either serial or Ethernet in Mach3.
    If you are just going to run the VFD and possibly a pendant I would stick with the serial Modbus. It isn't that difficult to setup and works well. Just don't use it for the e-stop or any other time sensitive stuff.

Not to scare you away but the Galil connectors and cables can be pricey from what I have read.

I have used the p-port and the DSPMC. If I could get a Galil that cheap I would try it just for the experience.