586,106 active members*
2,981 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Need advice on the value of 8020 pieces. Transport or sell?

Need advice on the value of 8020 pieces. Transport or sell?

I've always wanted to build my own CNC so back in December I traded a bunch of computer stuff on craigslist for a some T slotted aluminum for the gantry. I'm not sure if its the 8020 brand but it's definitely some sturdy stuff. After some reflection on the project, I decided I shouldn't build this thing right away because I graduate from university in June and I'll be moving from California to Colorado. Now here is my problem. Is it worth dragging 150 pounds of 8' pieces across the country? I put the stuff up on craigslist and had absolutely no interest so I'd probably have to sell it as scrap weight at the salvage yard. Would you drag this stuff 1,200 miles? How much would it cost me to "re-buy" this stuff in Colorado?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Well I would, If you have the room to move it and store it. You have idea's of building a machine and I think this is a good start. I'm moving to Colorado in two or three weeks to, maybe we could compare. I just finished a solsylva 24 x 37 a month ago and I wish I had your aluminum materials.

It's not 8020, It's metric and manufactured by a co. called Bosch.
    We used it where i work but we switched over to 8020 because we don't like metric and 8020 is cheaper in price. Last time we bought Bosch it was like .60 cents an inch and that was several years ago. I think it's worth the hassle to take it with you.

Definitely worth the "hassle" of transporting. What are the odds you are going to get a good deal on off-cuts or seconds again in Colorado?

Expect to pay almost $8 a pound ($1.35 per inch) BEFORE shipping if you purchase new.

All of the T-slot aluminum extrusions are worth keeping...they are in fact called the "Industrial Erector Set"...there isn't much you can't do with them.

Pieces that long are considered premium.

I don't think you'll be able to find a deal anything like that again unless you found someone selling a CNC machine hehe.

I would definitely bring them with you.

I look on ebay and stuff all the time. Even 8020's garage sale sells those long pieces at close to retail price, even if they are used.

Thanks everyone for the input. I'm going to haul this stuff with me and maybe one day I'll finally put the damn thing together!

@1armsbandit
    where abouts in CO? Maybe I'll trade you some lengths for some brackets and what not machined on your new solsylva.

Quote Originally Posted by pswayze View Post
    Thanks everyone for the input. I'm going to haul this stuff with me and maybe one day I'll finally put the damn thing together!

@1armsbandit
    where abouts in CO? Maybe I'll trade you some lengths for some brackets and what not machined on your new solsylva.
    I would recommend putting those pieces up on the wall somewhere they can be prominently displayed and have the wife nag you about it at least once a week about why you haven't built the thing yet. That usually gets results sooner.

CarveOne
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

pswayze we are planning to move to Johnstown or Milliken area out there, June is my deadline. Plan on buying a house there and look for jobs, rent is a real bummer out there.

Quote Originally Posted by 1armsbandit View Post
    pswayze we are planning to move to Johnstown or Milliken area out there, June is my deadline. Plan on buying a house there and look for jobs, rent is a real bummer out there.
    Haha, what a small world. I'm moving to Fort Collins which is about 30 miles from Milliken. After paying almost $800 a month for rent and utilities in CA to live in a glorified shed, I doubt it could possibly be worse. That or I'll just be a vagrant.

Well we have lots of stuff lol, so I need more space than 1100 sq ft. There's lots of houses to buy, but renting market it tough. Renting a place with 2800sq ft was $1250 a mouth, so good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by 1armsbandit View Post
    Well we have lots of stuff lol, so I need more space than 1100 sq ft. There's lots of houses to buy, but renting market it tough. Renting a place with 2800sq ft was $1250 a mouth, so good luck.
    $1250 a month sure ain't cheap but $800 was just for my portion of the $3600 for our 5 bedroom outhouse of a rental. I really don't know what I'm going to do about a job though. Oh well, I'll burn that bridge when I get there.

i want to know the details of the machine .add me [email protected] .ok ?

$1250 a month sure ain't cheap but $800 was just for my portion of the $3600 for our 5 bedroom outhouse of a rental. I really don't know what I'm going to do about a job though. Oh well, I'll burn that bridge when I get there.
    If you, uh, want some moving money...

I can't speak for the rest of the country, but here in Virginia, if you don't take it with you, you have to turn in your Man Card and are fined 3 rolls of duct tape.

Quote Originally Posted by verga View Post
    I can't speak for the rest of the country, but here in Virginia, if you don't take it with you, you have to turn in your Man Card and are fined 3 rolls of duct tape.
    Damn you Virga, I can't afford to lose anymore duck tape and I've already had my Man Card suspended for switching to one of those bath poofs from the regular bar of soap. Don't rat me out.

Damn you Virga, I can't afford to lose anymore duck tape and I've already had my Man Card suspended for switching to one of those bath poofs from the regular bar of soap. Don't rat me out.
    Alright In the spirit of solidarity with another CNCer how about I send you the duct tape and you use it to wrap up the 8020 for shipping.