586,385 active members*
3,332 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Knee Vertical Mills > Supermax YCM-40 Computer Retro

Supermax YCM-40 Computer Retro

I'm not sure how much interest this will be to folks, but I thought I'd share anyway.

I fired up my YCM-40 (1993 model) for the first time today only to witness the computer die after the second cycle. How's that for a (nuts)

I did see the computer do a post before the power supply gave out however - a speedy 386 with 4MB of RAM and a 240MB hard disk WOOT! Most definitely original...

Luckily for me I was able to find a replacement machine in short order - a Pentium II 400MHz. Just an FYI - the speed means little with this vintage. A 486 or Pentium machine will do just fine. What you need is a computer that has an 16 bit ISA slot.

I'll post some pics in the next day or two so you have a reference to go by.

Mark
    Need a Supermax YCM-40 Mill manual? Download the PDF here (replace _ with .):
    http://www.istonline.ca/download/supermax-ycm-40.pdf

Great interest! Post on- I'm thinking about buying an old supermax.

I took my camera to the shop to take some pics of the process but the batteries were dead. I went ahead with the hardware transfer. I will post a few after shots of the setup however to give you an idea of what to expect.

Sorry to hear bout' the batteries Mark.

I'm going to look at a 1989 Supermax. Is the only thing on your machine 3 phase the spindle drive motor?

I run my shop off grid and my machines on 120v single phase. I can pull this off as the glenteck servo motors are 120v, and the control is 120v, then I swap out the 3phase drive motor with a DC spindle drive that has a 120v power supply as well.

I'm hoping I can do the same with the Supermax YCM-40.

Quote Originally Posted by JP Hardinge View Post
    Sorry to hear bout' the batteries Mark.

I'm going to look at a 1989 Supermax. Is the only thing on your machine 3 phase the spindle drive motor?

I run my shop off grid and my machines on 120v single phase. I can pull this off as the glenteck servo motors are 120v, and the control is 120v, then I swap out the 3phase drive motor with a DC spindle drive that has a 120v power supply as well.

I'm hoping I can do the same with the Supermax YCM-40.

From what I can tell, yes. The motors are DC servo and I can't see the company investing on 220v power supplies when they don't have to.

Anyway, here's a few pics. Shot of the old ISA controller in the new machine:

The serial interfaces and fibre optic outputs:

A shot of the control box - you can see where the computer sat:

What is left of the original machine:

How's the retro comning?

I just bought a 1989 Supermax YCM-40 with a Fagor 8025 control.