586,036 active members*
3,346 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

My Computer Cart

I've always enjoyed seeing how people arrange their work area. I tired of trying to deal with my keyboard/mouse/monitor on a shop desk and finally built a Computer Caddy. It has a couple large lockable casters that allow me to push it around for my job and it slides back under the work bench when I am not working on the mill. I'm thinking of adding a tool tray and an E-Stop somewhere on my caddy. I like wood.... it is easy to throw an extra shelf or tray or just drive a screw into it for holding a wrench or other commonly used tool and it was cheap....most of it is scrap material I had laying around the shop.

And the back...... coolant, power strip for computer and mill and

I'm also considering splurging on one of the Tormach Jog controllers. What do you guys use for Jogging and part set-up?

Nice

Very nice. Are you planning on putting Plexiglass over where the LCD is? I have been wondering about flying dust and other random projectiles that may come in contact. That's why I am opting for a CRT. Big, heavy, and bulky, but it has a solid glass screen.

I went ahead and ordered the jogger with my machine as well as the mounting arms. But good idea about a screen over the monitor had not thought about that.

I bought a used NEC touch screen LCD 3yrs ago for cheap when I got my Tormach... didn't think the coolant would splash high enough to it wet and it did... sometimes I'm wiping a lot of coolant off. Been lazy relocating or building a shield (original idea)... but it has been 3yrs and the LCD is still working great.

Quote Originally Posted by amishx64 View Post
    Very nice. Are you planning on putting Plexiglass over where the LCD is? I have been wondering about flying dust and other random projectiles that may come in contact. That's why I am opting for a CRT. Big, heavy, and bulky, but it has a solid glass screen.
    It isn't on my machine now but I built some extensions on the CNC Guard kit and that has solved any coolant from splashing onto my screen. I didn't want to build the entire enclosure because sometimes I pull off the guards and load a long piece of stock onto the machine that would be obstructed in a full-enclosure. The current guards give me the ability to run it with or without the extra splash protection and that works for how I use the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum164 View Post
    I went ahead and ordered the jogger with my machine as well as the mounting arms. But good idea about a screen over the monitor had not thought about that.
    I considered just ordering it and being done. The computer cart took me a couple hours and most of the materials I had on hand. I'm planning on mounting a tool holder below my keyboard for tool changes and the E-stop somewhere on-cart. The only other thing that I'm debating is the jog controller. I may just use the keyboard and mouse awhile longer and save my pennies for the power drawbar.

kevperro, nice cart. And do go ahead and get the Tormach jog controller right up front. You will not regret it. I was a dedicated keyboard jogger (having used CNCPro and then TurboCNC under DOS for almost 8 years) but several guys here on the forum convinced me to make the switch, and I have never looked back. Variable-speed continuous jogging on the ring, and I have the spinner dial set at .0005" (all the table entries so I don't accidentally change it) to sneak up while touching off tools. I like it so much I got another to use with my lathe. It aids work setup as much as the TTS does tool changing.

Randy

since you asked...

Nice work, kevperro.

since you asked, my setup is very similar: I put keyboard, jogger and monitor on a tool cart that I picked up cheaply. All gauges, blocks, mills, and manuals are in the drawers underneath. It rolls away nicely - behind the splash guard after work and 2ft away from the splash guard when the chips are flying (I frequently find them on the keyboard anyway ). I put the pc and the extension cords behind the cart though so it is safe from the coolant.

The pics have been made after a major cleanup, that's why the splash guard is off and it looks clean. (we had to document that there are times when it is not totally packed with chips...)

Benji
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 000_1470.jpg   000_1471.jpg   000_1472.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by benji2505 View Post
    Nice work, kevperro.

since you asked, my setup is very similar: I put keyboard, jogger and monitor on a tool cart that I picked up cheaply. All gauges, blocks, mills, and manuals are in the drawers underneath. It rolls away nicely - behind the splash guard after work and 2ft away from the splash guard when the chips are flying (I frequently find them on the keyboard anyway ). I put the pc and the extension cords behind the cart though so it is safe from the coolant.

The pics have been made after a major cleanup, that's why the splash guard is off and it looks clean. (we had to document that there are times when it is not totally packed with chips...)

Benji
    Nice... it looks very sturdy and professional.

I guess I'll adjust my protection for the screen/keyboard/computer based upon how much coolant and chips fly. A keyboard is $10 so I'm not real concerned about replacement cost. I view them as a disposable part.

I think Zephyr talked me into the jog controller. I'm ordering that an extra E-stop and the height gauge today.

Quote Originally Posted by kevperro View Post
    . A keyboard is $10 so I'm not real concerned about replacement cost. I view them as a disposable part.
    I am always afraid of something spilling in the keyboard and shorting the USB port on the MB myself.

I am always afraid of something spilling in the keyboard and shorting the USB port on the MB myself.
    You could.... I built my computer and it is a $35 motherboard so I guess I'm not terribly afraid of toasting it. I get more coffee than coolant on my keyboard at this point.

Smile

My solution is put a sheet of saran wrap over the keyboard. Now if there were a similar solution to keep coolant out of the Shuttle Jog controller :-)

Don

haha!.. I bought the Tormach controller just to have the operating system. I tend to think of my own computer system when I think and it cost as much as a bare 770

Roll up Keyboard

Quote Originally Posted by Don Clement View Post
    My solution is put a sheet of saran wrap over the keyboard. ...

Don
    I have a roll up keyboard that I am planning to use with my setup. The thing is 100% sealed all around. I could put that thing in a pool and still be able to type.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rollup-keyboard.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by amishx64 View Post
    I have a roll up keyboard that I am planning to use with my setup. The thing is 100% sealed all around. I could put that thing in a pool and still be able to type.

Actually... My main computer is liquid cooled Only way to keep one cool.

i am not a real computer nerd but i was at an electronics store killing some time and saw all kinds of neat keyboards. they have medical ones that are dishwasher safe and the roll up ones like posted above. if mine does go out, i think i will go with the roll up one.

on that note, my regular cheaper than cheap keyboard is constantly getting splashed with coolant and chips blown into it with compressed air. surprisingly, it keeps on working.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Unotron-FlexiTuff-Washable-Keyboard-FTB10/dp/B001E25JMM"]Amazon.com: Unotron FlexiTuff Silent Backlit Washable Roll-up Keyboard FTB10 - Keyboard - PS/2, USB - 109 keys - white - US: Electronics[/ame]

At $17 the rollup keybd seems like a great solution. At $31 this silicone keyboard would be immune to even hot chips [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Glowtype-Virtually-Indestructib-Silicone-109KEY/dp/B0009B0H08/ref=pd_bxgy_e_text_b"]Amazon.com: Glowtype Virtually Indestructib Keyb Illum Silicone Flex USB 109KEY: Electronics[/ame]
    Does any have a solution to splash proof the jog controller?

Don

Amazon.com: Unotron FlexiTuff Silent Backlit Washable Roll-up Keyboard FTB10 - Keyboard - PS/2, USB - 109 keys - white - US: Electronics

At $17 the rollup keybd seems like a great solution. At $31 this silicone keyboard would be immune to even hot chips Amazon.com: Glowtype Virtually Indestructib Keyb Illum Silicone Flex USB 109KEY: Electronics

Don
    I'll stick with my cheapo $10 model that I can replace if needed. :-)

And while we're at it, does anyone have a solution to crush-proof it? Just a little FYI: never leave it sitting on the front Y axis cover while homing the machine I, uh, ummm... at least that's what a friend told me...

Quote Originally Posted by kevperro View Post
    I'll stick with my cheapo $10 model that I can replace if needed. :-)
    Flick,

I agree and will keep my cheap $10 Saran wrapped keyboard that has worked well for the last three years with my Tormach. No need to blow off the chips with Saran wrap either.

But am still looking for coolant splash protection for the jog controller. To be honest the jog controller has held up pretty well for almost the last three years also. The jog controller hasn't been crushed yet but does occasionally get coolant on it from wet fingers.

Don

Page 1 of 2 12