586,106 active members*
3,082 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: work offsets

work offsets

Hi All,

we have just got a matchmaker 2007 with fanuc control.

I am having problems setting the right work offsets(g54 g55 etc) and the right tool length offsets,

Can someone help with this,

I have tried going to the offsets page,. then work,, typing xo measure- the figure is changing but when I run the program it is not going to the correct postion .. I also cant find the right way to set the tools.

I am used to our haas mini mill which is quite easy to use. We are loading programs in from onecnc if it makes a difference

cheers

Setting tool length offsets is usually done with Z [INP-C]. Before you start, make sure that the RELATIVE and MACHINE position displays match. If not, try performing a manual ZERO RETURN. They should match then.

When you say "the figure is changing"... is it changing to the same value as the MACHINE postition (when you type X0 [MEASUR])? It should be.

If so, try to MDI in a command to move X to 0: G0 G54 G90 X0. EOB, INSERT and CYCLE START. X shouldn't move, and the X ABSOLUTE position should read 0.

The following information is with reference to 0i system. Check the system variable numbers for other control versions.

To simplify offset setting procedure, just manually bring the tool where you want to place the XY-datum (0,0), and then execute the following program. This applies to the current coordinate system. So, for example, if you want to work in G56 WCS, first execute G56 in MDI mode to make it current.

O8008 (CURR WCS XY-DATUM SETTING ON MILL M/C);
    #1 = #4014;
    #1 = #1 – 53;
    #1 = #1 * 20;
    #1 = #1 + 5201;
    #[#1] = #5021 - #5201;
    #[#1 + 1] = #5022 - #5202;
    M30;

I would make sure you have the machine in absolute. There is usually and hard key on the MTB side or a soft key in the operators panel. Also there may be a keep relay that will allow the hard key to control ABS or the soft key.

Quote Originally Posted by ben_heinman View Post
    I would make sure you have the machine in absolute. There is usually and hard key on the MTB side or a soft key in the operators panel. Also there may be a keep relay that will allow the hard key to control ABS or the soft key.
    I think this is the problem , machine is showing relative in the tool offsets and I cant find how to change it ??

If it is one of the i series controls, it will most likely be set to use relative in tool offsets. This is the default, and is far more useful then setting it to absolute (can't remember parameter). Work offsets, however, should work from the machine position, and depending on the parameter setting, will either update current absolute position immediately, or next time work offset is called (default setting).

Quote Originally Posted by cdfracing View Post
    I think this is the problem , machine is showing relative in the tool offsets and I cant find how to change it ??
    As I said in my earlier post, make sure the RELATIVE and MACHINE positions agree before setting tool length offsets. I don't believe you can change which position display is used when setting tool length offsets... I haven't seen a parameter that changes this.