586,540 active members*
2,933 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

X1 CNC Capabilities

Hi Everyone,
    I've had an X1 collecting dust for a few years and have recently thought about converting it to CNC. I have a few questions that I hope someone can answer to help decide if it's worth it.

1. The parts I want to make are 2x2x5" aluminum. One side has a 1.75x2" pocket at a depth of 1-7/8". Would this machine be able to handle that or would I be exceeding the limitations of the X1?

2. Probotix has a control kit for $199 with 166oz motors. Would that be enough or do I need more powerful ones? I've also seen the kits at Keliginc.com but they are closer to $400.

Thanks!

I havent CNCed mine yet and im not sure if I will. But from what ive read 166oz motors are allitle on the light side especially on the Z axis.
    I machine plenty of stuff with my X1 . The only problem I seen was the motor was gutless.
    Everything was machined very slowly in light passes.
    It wont have a problem machining aluminum. you should be fine.

I have used the Probotix Monster Kit for my X2 and loved the hardware they supplied. The boards are built well and very easy to wire up. If you give them a call they will have problem helping you with making sure you get what you need. They would probably be able to sell you a kit with 2 166oz motors and 1 260oz for your Z-Axis. In the end the kit would work well for what you are wanting and I suggest it as you wont have to spend $1000 only on electronics.

These drivers do no offer Mid-band resonance damping but I do not really seeing you needing this on an X1.

I would suggest picking up another E-stop button to.

i have converted my x1 about 3 -4 years. i have used for many projects. machining ally brass, little steel and carbon fiber and pcb. My machine is heavily modified,

6000 rpm belt drive conversion and ball screw on the z and secondary high speed spindle for pcb and fiber work. z axis is also counterweighted which i think is a must for smooth running with light steppers.

Axis wise i started with a hobby cnc 200oz setup unipolar. this worked well but rapids were slow and 300mm/min. z was unreliable if it was pintched up. I then went to a bipolar setup using the same unipolar motors raising the torque to about 280 this was to make it into a peach. i also changed the z axis motor to a 400 oz which really improved the performance.

in ally i can cut 1.5mm on a 10mm cutter at 6000rpm feeding 200mm/min you can work out how long it is going to take to hog out your pocket.

check out my project page

http://revdesign.co.uk/BeltDrive.html