586,115 active members*
3,411 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

USB flash drive issue

Has anyone seen this?

About once every couple of weeks our VF-2ss won't see the program on the flash drive. It will only see the (deleted) one that was loaded just before.

On my computer, with the flash drive in the USB port, I will delete the old program then load a new one with a different name onto the flash drive.
    Safely remove it, then insert it into the Haas USB port. List program and select USB device. Only the deleted program shows up. If I select it and load it anyway (hoping it was just a name issue), the old program shows up.
    The only way I've found to fix this issue is to turn off the Haas and restart. Then it sees the new program.
    What the heck, over.
    Not a big deal but curious.

I load/run 5-20 programs a day in my vf2ss everyday all from my thumb drive.

What I have noticed is that mine if it has a little pressure away from you its will not read, Ie putting it in an an angle

Thanks for responding.
    I don't think that's the issue here since I have repeatedly ejected and reinstalled the USB drive. This is an occasional issue since we got the machine. But, like I said, not a huge deal. Just wondered if others saw this issue.
    I haven't seen the problem you describe.
    I wonder if it's the drive that's to blame? No wait. The ONLY thing that fixes it is to shut down the Haas. No amount of reloading the USB drive on the computer does anything.

Have you tried a different thumb drive?

Sounds like a classic case of 'the operating system does not know the drive has been dismounted and remounted'. Oh, my bad, Haas doesn't behave like a Windows PC
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I have tried a different thumb drive but the Haas wouldn't recognize it. Since this one worked (mostly) I stopped trying other ones.

"Sounds like a classic case of 'the operating system does not know the drive has been dismounted and remounted'." Interesting. I never thought of it like that (not a computer guy). I ALWAYS press "Origin" before removing the USB drive. Is there more I should look for?

extanker59

Before you put your thumb drive back in select a different program into memory , then do you program load

When you remove the usb/thumb drive what mode are you in when you press Origin, you want to be in the receive program mode/ usb mode when you do this
    Mactec54

HuFlungDung

If you have the Ethernet/ hard drive option, then it is just like being in windows it is a separate computer for this option, that plugs into the machine computer board
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by extanker59 View Post
    I ALWAYS press "Origin" before removing the USB drive. Is there more I should look for?
    do you have to do this?
    our haas tm2 installer never said anything about this! and it has been 2yrs of not doing any shutdown removal procedure like a pc.
    have had 1 stick die on me, but i thought that it was just a crap stick, used for lots of other things not just for programs or the mill.

what is the correct removal procedure then?

Mactec54, do you mean I have to be in the List Program/USB Device screen? I am almost never there when I press Origin since I really only use the USB drive to load programs into the Haas. Almost never from the Haas. So I'd be in the List Programs/Memory or Hard Drive screens.

HuFlungDung, we do have the Hard Drive ethernet option.

Riverracer, we do have to press origin. Well, at least the screen says so every time you install the USB drive. In red letters, above the Help box on the left, it says "Press Origin Before Eject" as soon as you go into USB Device.

The "press origin" thing was on a particular generation of USB hardware and software. The manual said to do that on my mid 2007 TL-1. I had no such prompts and wasn't sure when or how to do it. A call to the factory confirmed that I didn't have to do that on my machine. Older ones with USB and/or Hard Drive/Ethernet sound like they're different.
    Greg

OK, thanks.
    Gonna live with it. Pretty minor as things go. Still like the machine.
    Thanks to all who responded.
    Chris

I would definately suggest you should try using a different USB stick. Most will work perfectly but some will have problems. I have an 8GB Kingston which works most of the time but sometimes strange things happen. I have another that I use which is a 2GB (not sure which brand) but it works perfect all the time. Also - I never press origin before removing USB stick.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Haas__man View Post
    I would definately suggest you should try using a different USB stick. Most will work perfectly but some will have problems. I have an 8GB Kingston which works most of the time but sometimes strange things happen. I have another that I use which is a 2GB (not sure which brand) but it works perfect all the time. Also - I never press origin before removing USB stick.

Hope this helps.
    How are you supposed to remove the USB stick?

Sometimes I remove it and it takes hitting rest 20 times to get it to read.