586,069 active members*
3,425 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mastercam User With Work Offset ?'s

Hey All,

New Mastercam X3 user here with a couple questions regarding the code I'm receiving after post processing. Machine is a Chinese 4 axis VMC Fadal clone with Fanuc wannabe control. In the past I have been touching off stock on the XYZ and using G54-G59 work coordinates and running whatever part. After processing my first code today I am not getting any G54's etc in the processed code just an "e" where I think the G54 should be. If anyone knows please explain this "e" in the code to me and how to use it and if I need to make any changes in the CAM parameters.

Question 2:
    After a M06 code the machine runs into its own locked tool change subprogram any modifications need to be made in the machine definition file for the tool change to work properly? What's a forced tool change?

Question 3:
    In the operation manager tool setup menu I see it give you the option of specifying tool holder diameter and bore, tool length diameter shoulder length flutes etc.
    Does changing the tool length in this menu have any effect on the final code or is it just for reference. I am touching off tools on the part using negative offsets and don't need any spindle crashes. Hope this makes sense and Thx in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcatmahone View Post
    Hey All,

New Mastercam X3 user here with a couple questions regarding the code I'm receiving after post processing. Machine is a Chinese 4 axis VMC Fadal clone with Fanuc wannabe control. In the past I have been touching off stock on the XYZ and using G54-G59 work coordinates and running whatever part. After processing my first code today I am not getting any G54's etc in the processed code just an "e" where I think the G54 should be. If anyone knows please explain this "e" in the code to me and how to use it and if I need to make any changes in the CAM parameters.
    The Fadal controllers use E for their work offsets instead of G54-55-56 etc. You would be better off using a post for a fanuc controller or a Haas post
    Question 2:
    After a M06 code the machine runs into its own locked tool change subprogram any modifications need to be made in the machine definition file for the tool change to work properly? What's a forced tool change?
    A forced tool change just means it will output a toolchange for that unit even if the tool is used in the unit prior to that. I use that if I have a mill doing finish passes on something that needs to be held to a tight tolerance. That way it's easy to search down to it and rerun just that feature.
    Question 3:
    In the operation manager tool setup menu I see it give you the option of specifying tool holder diameter and bore, tool length diameter shoulder length flutes etc.
    Does changing the tool length in this menu have any effect on the final code or is it just for reference. I am touching off tools on the part using negative offsets and don't need any spindle crashes. Hope this makes sense and Thx in advance.
    No, it doesn't change the G code. It is used for verifying the program in the simulator.
    Hope I helped.