586,106 active members*
3,346 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mitsubishi servo repair

i'm trying to resurrect a mitsubishi J2 Super motor. here's what i have:

1. HC-KFS73 motor with a shot bearing, gives encoder error alarms
    2. MR-J2S-70B amp with fried IGBT module
    3. MR-J2S-70B-U005 amp, a high-speed special version for HC-KFS46 6000rpm motor

so i'm trying to make a working amp/motor pair out of this pile of junk. here's what i've done so far:

i've replaced the motor bearings and aligned the encoder locking the rotor with DC and rotating encoder wheel while looking at encoder count output. the encoder is absolute. the rotor locks at 4 positions (8-pole?). a got a target encoder count looking at 2 different HC-MFS43 motors i also have. after a bit of fiddling with the wheel it gives no alarms and count is continuous.

when i tried to jog the motor with U005 it jumped and the amp turned off with an overcurrent alarm.

then i've tried to swap power modules between 70B and 70B-U005, but damaged the PCB of the first one in the process... the U005 amp had a paper sticker with a f/w version on a DSP processor, while the regular one didn't. so i swapped those DSPs. not sure is the firmware is stored in there, tho...

with the replaced DSP the U005 behaves similarly. but i've investigated further and found out that:

there's an interval a bit less than a half-turn where the motor positions just fine. when i approach either end of this interval and try to step out of it the current (torque/load) rises rapidly with each step finally resulting in alarm. i've also tried to rotate the rotor 180 degrees out of this "good" interval and start moving from there - after the first positioning command the rotor started oscillating violently until i stopped it manually.

a nameplate on 70B and 70B-U005 gives the same max output frequency - 360Hz. with a 8-pole motor that's 5400rpm, while KFS46 motor has a max speed of 6900rpm. so it should be 6 poles or less, i believe.

unfortunately, i don't a have a good motor or amp, so i don't know should i damage the U005 amp further trying to make it believe it's a regular one or the amp is just fine and the motor has problems...

if anyone have any idea please help me... thanks!

ok, got it working after all that unnecessary soldering iron torture. so yes, amps are exactly the same but U005 is programmed for 6-pole motor. and it looks like that those J2 amps can happily drive any motor within their capacity contrary to what mitsubishi does tell...
    for anyone wondering how misubishi servos look inside
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hc-kfs73.jpg  

Great picture, thanks for posting

Thank you for the picture!

thanks... some more pictures:
    - encoder wheel pattern
    - power module
    - blown igbt
    - DSP replacement
    - endcap repair/bearings replacement
    - damaged tail endcap before repair
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails enc-1after.jpg   30-power-module.jpg   31-blown-igbt.jpg   13-old.jpg  

12-soldered.jpg   02-bore.jpg   04-glue.jpg   05-press.jpg  

tail-endbell.jpg  

Re: Mitsubishi servo repair

hi dm1try
    May I ask u that how do you read the data from the firmware(DSP)??
    And I have another question about others special Servo Amp
    I have one MR-J2S-70B-S202 which is connect with unknown Linear Motor.
    I had changed the DSP but when I powered on, the LED shows AL13 ( I tried connected with Mitsubishi Special Motor, it works)
    Do u have any idea about this issue??
    Thank u^^

Hi Dim1try

Giving this old thread a new life, i have a question for you.

How did you manage to replace the encoder wheel without a encoder alarm 20.
    Id managed to repair 2 HC-KFS73 motors (cleaning and new bearings) but the position of the encoder wheel comes very precise.
    Seeing encoder's and encoder wheels beeing sold on ebay/alibaba, somehow you can adapt a new encoder on a "old"motor.

Thanks in advanced

Jan

well, with that motor it was trial and error to position the wheel axially. later then, when i repaired a few more motors, i used feeler gauges to measure the gap between encoder wheel hub and the motor tail cap.
    to set the wheel angulary i feed windings with a few hundreds milliamps from a lab power supply. V(white) positive, U(red) negative. then the rotor locks in several positions. at one of those position the encoder should read close to 0 (say plus/minus 500 counts).

btw, that motor is still going strong as the spindle drive of my benchtop mill

Quote Originally Posted by dm17ry View Post
    well, with that motor it was trial and error to position the wheel axially. later then, when i repaired a few more motors, i used feeler gauges to measure the gap between encoder wheel hub and the motor tail cap.
    to set the wheel angulary i feed windings with a few hundreds milliamps from a lab power supply. V(white) positive, U(red) negative. then the rotor locks in several positions. at one of those position the encoder should read close to 0 (say plus/minus 500 counts).

btw, that motor is still going strong as the spindle drive of my benchtop mill
    Hi
    Thanks for the reply.
    I already managed to repair 3 drives.
    Could not find a zero point in the 161e software as i locked the drive with a dc power supply (or battery)
    so i picked 2500 posisition. (as loing as you use the same posisition it makes no difference)
    But maybe i missed one combination, i wil try the wires white and red.
    We made a test with a mrj2s 70a drive, within the 161e software you can simple choose a jog/ test mode to
    test the drives.
    So now we can start to refubisch the drives.

Thanks
    Jan

Guys, any pointer to resolve a E9 error ? Main supply off error. Currently I was given an old malfunctioned MR J2S 20A with the E9 error, based on error description and manual I guess it's either the varistor blown or voltage sampling IC/resistor blown so it is not reporting correct main supply voltage. I took out the varistor, but having problem tracing where do they perform the voltage sampling (which IC is being used to do this...). Appreciate it if you could give some pointer on where I should look, or if you have resolved an E9 error before, what was the problem for your case.

Hello everyone,
    I have a drive-40B MRJ2S who lost his firware. Is anybody can help me or have the firmware and what is the method to flash the SH7065 circuit.
    Thank you to all!