586,042 active members*
3,668 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

wHAT IS IT CALLED ?

HI

Refering to the figure, I am looking out for a substance which is made of rubber & has profile as shown in figure. It compresses as the slider pushs & decompresses as the slider moves back.
    It is used to avoid coolant & burr entry into the mechanism.

I don't what it is called as...?....Can anyone help.

If you aren't getting it, just imagine the rubber used on surface grinding machine.

Zirok
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2.JPG  

A way cover?
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

accordion type way cover.
    -Jeff

Pleated cover, pleated strip?

Corrugated rubber?
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Question

Zirok,

A Gortite accordion bellow cover?

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Question Whatzit

It looks like a "blue rubber thingy."(nuts)

As Jeff said, Gortite is a common supplier.
    http://www.gortite.com/index.html
    I got the round versions for my ballscrews.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

hI

Well thanks everybody for wonderful contribution.

One more query remains that how it is attached.

Refering to the figure, you can see a slider(shown in red) & the guideways shown in blue.

How to attached WAY COVER here.??

Zirok
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 45.JPG  

There is no indication of how large the mechanism is, but it appears your slideway is below the blue area?
    If you want to cover it from the top, you may be able to use ordinary industrial rubber sheet material, you normally would attach it to one end the fixed part the other to the extreme end of the moving part, in the picture and using rubber sheet it could simply concertina up when the slide is fully retracted.
    This is the way many small knee mills cover the ways.
    Al.

Albert E.

Thanks for the reply

As shown in Picture 456, I understand that you are saying to glue one side of way cover to Part A ( which is stationery ) & the other to the moving Part B.

Am I right ?

Also does the rubber has a linear sort of (as shown in picture 130 in green colour ) which needs to be attached {WITH HELP OF GLUE} between the sideways (Part C & D...see picture 909)

Zirok
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 456.JPG   130.JPG   909.JPG  

The material I have used in this manner for short spread areas is from a local rubber sheet supplier and is just plain flat 1/8" material sold in about 48" widths, I am not sure of the exact composition.
    I usually attach it with a simple 3/4" wide metal strip using #10-32 screws drilled and tapped at the attachment points each end.
    Al.

Albert E.

Any Snaps/Images of the procedure will be really thankful & easy to understand.

Zirok

This is the front way cover on a knee mill, the material is .075" thick, BTW.
    Al.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0222.jpg  

Albert E.

Ya but it doesn't has a guideways as shown in figure.

The query to me is how to attach/affix the bellow between the guideways.

Ash
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 909.JPG  

Hi Zirok

This looks like the material you are asking about:-
    http://www.rdgtools.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh...%23a1112#a1112

These are very cheap compared to the Gortite products but being made of rubber have limited life.

As to your questions about fixing you need to reveal a bit more of your mechanism but basically the rubber is fastened at one end to the fixed part of the machine and to the moving part at the opposite side in such a way that any stray chips and coolant etc is kept out of the mechanism. These protectors are often supplied with the rubber sandwiched between two metal strips using hollow eyelets through which the cover is secured to the machine.

If this is the mechanism that has a 10 mm total movement that you have running in anoither thread then you might consider using the woven glass sheets that are imporgnated with silicon/ PTFE and sold in home baking supply stores as non stick mat on which pastries can be baked in the oven. This material is thin, flexible and proof against most fluids. I have made special way covers from this material and the covers have lasted well. The material can be sewen on a domestic sewing machine but you must use Kevlar thread and coat the stich line with varnish.

In the UK we have a supplier of concertina type covers:-
    http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalo...achine-Bellows

From your sketch fix to face 'D' and to the moving face of that red block assuming the gap to be protected is the slot in the blue part. The cover would then overhang the blue part by enough to make sure the chips and any cutting fluid are shed well clear of the sliding faces.

Hope this helps - regards Pat

I'd cut a square hole in the middle of the concertina, stick the blue bit through it with two square metal washers above and below the concertina. Then simply attach both ends of the concertina to the red bit.

You could even araldite the metal washers to the blue bit to get a better seal.
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Hi

I think i need something as shown in Figure 11 & not like 22..(Which is a box type)

I understand that the metal clips shown in 11 are to be attached to A & B parts (fig 456).
    But what about Parts C &D (fig 909). As the C & D will be bolted to the base, which will also clamp the concertia way cover. Than how can the concertia will be able to operate as it is been clamped & botled.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 11.JPG   22.JPG   456.JPG   909.JPG  

Hi Zirok

Consider using the concertina type with the turned down edges as in your second thumbnail of your post No 17 today and take ImanCarrot's suggestion and cut a square hole for your red tool post to protrude through. The 'white ridges showing in your illustration are on the items purchased from Arceuro made of a stiff material and would clamp to the red sliding part leaving the two outer white stiffeners to clamp to the ends of your slide. These bellows are made with a clearance on the concertina and the stiffenrers as supplied are profiled to slip on to a dove tail slide. This keeps the bellows from wearing out on the slides as the machine operates. The white material is easy to cut to the required shape and the maximum dimensions are quoted in the source I have suggested. I have been using these for some time and they are much better than the simple rubber type as they are reasonably resistant to oil and cutting fluid. The bellows fabric is also fairly stiff and appears to be impregnated fine fabric of some sort and the construction is top notch even ignoring the low cost.

Hope this helps. regards -Pat

Hi

I have attached the procedure (with images) to do fitment of WAY COVER.

Please check it out & inspect whether my Understanding is right or wrong.

Zirok
    Attached Files Attached Files

How can the bellows you show in your first diagram possibly work? You have a folded section fixed to the flat section. any movement is either going to try and stretch the flat portion or bunch it up.

bob

Page 1 of 2 12