586,043 active members*
3,906 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Jerky 3D motion

I'm just learning 3D machining, My X2 mill works perfectly, very smooth, although I haven't ever tried any 3D on it and when I use my new DIY router I just switch the cables on my driver box from the X2 to the router. I do have separate profiles for the mill and the router.

As you can see in the video, it seems very jerky to me. I'm not sure if this is due to the stepping setup on my Keling 4030 drivers or if it's the 3D SW. The step over and step down in the SW is 0.0125.

Please let me know what you think, thanks,

Steve

Youtube says it's a private video. Try changing the settings for it so people can see it.

Quote Originally Posted by jsheerin View Post
    Youtube says it's a private video. Try changing the settings for it so people can see it.
    Okay, I've changed it. I thought no matter what the setting on youtube was, as long as I posted it here that it can be viewed within the thread.

Does it work for you now ?

Yep, works now. It looks like you might be using exact stop mode instead of constant velocity (if you're using mach3)? Also, are you using g02/g03 commands to make what looks like a circle, or are you using g01 linear moves? I think the g02 moves would be smooth through however much of an arc they commanded regardless of using constant velocity or not, but the many small g01 moves would not. There is a tutorial on the mach3 help page (or one of the pages) about constant velocity settings that you might want to check out. If that doesn't help, let us know.

You were right jsheerin, constant velocity was not checked in Mach3, thanks ! It's doing much better now. I have to order some good ball end cutters now.