586,114 active members*
3,199 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Okuma GKN 5020 Automatic Door Modification

Okuma GKN 5020 Automatic Door Modification

Good day to all. I have an Okuma CNC grinder (GA/GP-N Series) and am having trouble opening and closing the door. It was retrofitted with the GKN 5020 Automatic Door Modification, by Okuma. The machine must be in Single-block mode in order to open and close the door. Obviously while in-cycle, I need to run in auto. As soon as I switch from single-block, the door opens, automatically. Also, when the door is closed and single block is turned off, the door will not open, even in manual, when you push the door open pb. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

have You tried to lock the door (door lock button) manually before starting part program in automatic mode?
    door will not open, even in manual, when you push the door open pb
    this is wrong, sure. Maybe operation mode key? Are there three modes: "test", "settings" and "production"? Did You changed?

We just purchased this machine and have very little information to go with it. I think there is nothing wrong with the machine, it's that we don't know how to operate it the way someone had set it up. The only way I can get the door to open and close what I consider properly is to pull the "STOP" relay for the door safety interlock and put it back in. I then can open the door and close it. Also, when I try to run in automatic mode (with programs that came already loaded into the controller) it wont run. I have to put it in single-block mode, and continually press the cycle start button until it goes down to a certain point, then turn off single-block, then the machine takes off. Does any of this sound like normal operation of an Okuma Grinder? This is my first so I'm getting lots of Okuma 101 training. Thank you

Sir, if I may ask one more thing, please. I would like to view parameters and upload what it has loaded, however, I don't know what software I need, nor where to get it. Thanks again for your response.

Being a retro-fit item, the door open/close should still be able to be commanded by M-code

Generally a macro is written into a "Library" file and is associated to a user M-code

Try looking for an *.LIB file in the machine, this is a text file similar to a .MIN file and must remain in the control for functionality. It is viewable using any text viewer ie Notepad, Cimcoedit etc
    Copy it to floppy/USB and save it onto a PC for backup, if it exists

You may have to execute this M-code to enable the door open PB when in AUTO or MDI

There is a page in the parameter section for defining User G and M code macros

PS ---Being a new machine, you should do a full parameter backup of the machine. Who would know what gets lost when pushing buttons or if a battery for backup dies. So it would be comfortable knowing you can restore the machine back to its initial state

Give Okuma a call, they must have instructions on how it is to be used
    It should not cost. It is called support for ther machine tools.

Did you get all the manuals ?
    Did you also get a CD ? --This should have PDF files of all the manuals--it's easier to search for info than using the books---copy the PDF's to a PC for easier access

No sir, didn't get any books. We purchased the machine used. It is new to us, but an old machine. The door will open and close via MDI. I have to pull the stop relay from the back of the machine, which seems to reset it.

parameters OSP5020

I guess, You need to get OSP operating manual and programming manual. Electrical drawings would be good also. Is there IGF on this grinder?
    There are three ways to save parameters on OSP5020. Please, try safely, think by Yourself. Figure out, where You need to press <write> [enter]
    First way. Using normal OSP work mode saving to file on user disk.
    This requires user disk (BB1:?) to have enough free space.
    1. Go to parameter mode
    2. Select data pip. You can enter DPIP from keyboard.
    3. on the DPIP> prompt, key-in file name with path:
    DPIP> BB1:PAR-1
    4. BB1: here is Your user disk name. Make sure the name is correct.
    5. Next prompt is for Your comment. Key-in date, Your name and credit card PIN code :-)
    6. Next You select what parameter to save. You can enter 100-820, it means save all parameters, starting with 100 to 820. These are parameter numbers.
    7. That's it. See if Your parameters are saved in file. File name is PAR-1.TOP at this case.
    Next way is to save parameters directly to RS232 port, To Your PC. The procedure is exactly the same, only You need to define RS232 port name instead of user disk. You can leave the device name blank, then control will use device by default, which is defined in parameters.