586,306 active members*
3,726 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

flood coolant

I'm looking to set up a cheap flood coolant system for my miller. Any ides on supplies to you as well as what type of coolant? Thanks

Unless you are working production where the effect of flood coolant equates to time saved and black ink on the bottom line I suggest you avoid flood coolant. Flood coolat is exactly that. One unoticed parallel overlapping the table mean a fout foot puddle in only a few minutes. Then there is the splash and spray.

Many water based coolant formulations will support bacteria exacerbated by tramp oil and neeglect. In a couple months soluable oil can get rancid and many others get milky and smelly somtimes even growing scum. Water based coolant nfltrating the machines crevisces can fill gearboxes displacing oil, rust hidden places in way systems, and drip into electrical equipment, infrequently causing problems. You have to maintan a flood colant system if you are to avoid thi condtion. Oil based coolants like mineral lard oil will last for years neglexted andit's a good lubricant but they can over time leave varnsh to ways restricing axis motions and discoloring paintwork. Spills pose safety hazards unless promptly cleaned up and clay floor dry sprnkles over the spill area.

I've been a machinist for many years used flood coolant when indicated and when available. I have no prejudices one way orr the other except when it comes to unnecessary time and mess. In my home shop I use a laundry squit bottle when I need coolant for drilling etc. Otherwie I machine dry. Dry cutting means you can pick up the chips after eact cut with the shop vac.

Don't get me wrong. Flood coolant is great Coolant equates to good ship flushing, higher cutting speeds andbetter fnished. But you have splash guards handy or a full enclosure. In the small onesey twosey job shop and the home shop flood coolant unwisely used or incautiouly used can result in floods, permanent floor stains, and soggy slippery shoes.

Well said Forrest, I agree 110%.

The coolant in my shop is applied with old Windex or 409 bottles.

Welcome over here, Forrest.

Jackal

lil giant pump and a bucket would most likely do the trick
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........