505,958 active members
3,299 visitors online
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Knee Vertical Mills > King Rich KRV-2000 Knee Mill CNC Conversion
Page 7 of 17 56789
    Registered

Vise or Vice?

Vise if you are a Yank
    Vice if you are a Pom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails vise.jpg  

Registered

New Vise

I have taken the plunge and ordered a pair of 6 inch Double vises from China. I don't expect them to be as nice as a Glacern but price, shipping and paypal payment made my decision easier and I hope I have found good value. They are heavy buggers and will take about a month to arrive in Adelaide via sea freight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Double Mulit Vise China.PNG   GMT Double Vise.PNG  

Registered
    So what did they charge you?

Registered
    They have cost about $600 each including shipping to Adelaide. I am not sure of any local charges that may be incurred when they arrive. It is a bit of a gamble. I don't think I could walk into a machine tools supplier anywhere in Adelaide and look at a similar product. If I could, I would expect to pay double what I have. It is a gamble I'm prepared to take. I'm aways the optimist. That is what you call a "vice". I shall post some better pictures when they arrive. The factory picture is terrible compared with the Glacern one for a product which is essentially the same. Same spec ductile cast iron, same 45 HRC hardness, same size and weight, ground by a company that manufactures surface grinders. Ground to 1 thou tolerance compared to Glacerns 1/2 thou. You would think a bit of spit and polish and a good photo would help sales. That is the next thing they need to copy from Glacern.

Registered
    I gather you brought more then 1, GST is payiable over $1,000 and some times you get hit with import duty (I think China is excempt).
    Have a great day.
    Tony

Registered

New Vises arrived

Have just unpacked my new vises from China. First impression is that they seem OK. Not Glacern bling.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Vises 7.jpg   New Vises 8.jpg   New Vises 9.jpg   New Vises 10.jpg   New Vises 11.jpg  

New Vises 12.jpg  

Registered
    I have been reading your conversion thread on the King Rich.
    I have an Lagun FTV1 that I would like to do a conversion on. A couple of questions that I have, the lagun doesn't have ball screws, can you use a DRO as a position control so I don't have to replace the screws? Is there any measurements I would need to take to decide what size of servos I would need?
    Any help would be great!
    I have very limited experience so I probably will be asking more questions as I go along.

Thanks, Terry

Registered

Using DRO scales as feedback

Terry,

The backlash from acme screws will cause more problems with a cnc machine than can be solved with DRO scale position feedback. The varying force between the work and the tool while cutting and regular change of direction with produce chatter of the table and therefore fluctuation of the DRO scale output. A servo driver will struggle to compensate for that variation and is likely to produce an unstable motor output ranging from noisy to erratic. The workpiece will suffer.
    Bite the bullet and invest in ballscrews.
    The link below is a set of suitable servos similar to mine that would be perfect for your machine. Check the power input.

SAMSUNG 600W SERVO PACK,DRIVER MOTOR 3-AXIS CNC,ROUTER | eBay

I have had no problems with this Korean supplier and free freight.

I'm happy to help where I can. I'm a novice too.

John

Registered
    John,
    Pretty interested in what you think of the vices. Do they produce downward force when clamping like the Angloc design?

Chich

Registered

"Angle Tight" is the Chinese "Angloc"

Chich,

One of the pictures below shows how the angloc jaws operate.

The explanation on how the vise can clamp 2 different size work pieces is a little less clear in the manual.

The main shaft is about 35mm in diameter and has a LH thread for one jaw and a RH thread for the other. The centre jaw is normally fixed but can be removed easily. The main shaft can float backward and forward unless it is locked by the setscrew "A",

Locking "A" presets the jaws to open an even amount from each work piece no matter what the size which would be useful for repeated fixture clamping.

The parallels on the jaws seem accurately ground as you would expect. The Glacern vises did not have the recessed jaws. The jaws can be inverted if the recessed parallel is not required.

John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Vise Manual p1.jpg   New Vise Manual p2.jpg   New Vise Manual p3.jpg   New Vise Manual p4.jpg   New Vise Manual p5.jpg  

Registered

First part made in new vise

This exhaust flange is for my Honda S600 project. I have had a problem working out the co-ordinates of the tangent lines so that I could hand code the G-code. I got my son to draw it in Solid Works from my hand sketch and then list them off for me. I need a CAM program!
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4MPB7QLb_I"]YouTube - ‪Honda S600 exhaust flange.AVI‬‏[/nomedia]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Exhaust Header Flange4.jpg   SW Capture2.PNG   SW Capture1.PNG   Honda exhaust flange 6.jpg   Honda exhaust flange 7.jpg  

Honda exhaust flange 8.jpg  

Registered

New face mill tool

This is a C22 NT30 M12 arbor and a 63mm x 22 x 4T indexable face mill shipped with 10 mitsubishi inserts #F39. From CTC Tools HK. US$151.29 inc. delivery to Adelaide in 10 days. Looks good, hopefully it performs as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Face Mill tool 1.jpg   Face Mill tool 2.jpg   Face Mill tool 3.jpg  

Page 7 of 17 56789