586,117 active members*
3,606 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Machine recomendations

At present I have one of those Chinese non cnc mills. Its a harbour freight X2 or similiar. I've had it several years and use it mostly on aluminum and plastics, cutting or drilling holes in small enclosures and faceplates. I added some cheap digital readouts several years ago and it made the machine way more easy to use as I do my panel leayouts on a cad program so I had all the coordinates. The displays don't have a remote display so you have to look in three places to get X,Y,Z readings, now the displays are acting up and I am also running into problems with the small X,Y movement (4" x 8").

I do a lot of electronic design and sometimes need one of circuit boards, some pretty basic. I was thinking of going to CNC mill so I could also do some circuit boards also.

Searching the web the one I seem to like is the Tormach 770. I'll have around 7x12 X,Y movement, 10000 Rpm spindle for small cutters on pcb, plus more power - just in case I'm doing something larger.

What recommedations do you guys have? I was scanning internet for some used ones but could find any.

Thanks
    Geoff

Winnipeg, Canada

Geoff,

Novakon is up in your neck of the woods.

http://www.novakon.net/nm-145.html

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Thanks for the link, I hadn't seen them. I guess all mills will have there ups and downs so I guess I got to look at all and see. I won't be using it too much so if I could find a suitable used one i would be happy. I've look a fair bit on line but haven't really found any used ones.

Thanks
    Geoff