586,589 active members*
2,511 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Powermax 45 problems

I have had my powermax 45 for about a year now and it has been absolutely awesome until the other day I started cutting bad. The arc would stop cutting through the plate in spots, way more edge taper and a little bit rougher cut edge. I though I had a bad ground but it did this on 4 different pieces of plate from 3/16" through 3/8". I put a new nozzle and electrode in it thinking it was that and it still did the same thing. So next I changed my air filter but it was clean and dry. I have a refrigerated air dryer then a water separator then the final filter. It almost acts like I turned down the power knob but it is all the way up on 45. I ran through all the power and resistance checks in the service manual but everything checked out fine.

Ryan

Usually, although I have personally never heard of this happening yet with a 45, your symptoms will indicate an air flow leak or a restriction. Essentially, when in inadequate flow of air gets to the torch it acts exactly like the amperage knob is set too low.

I would suggest calling Hypertherm tech service. If anyone has heard of this issue with a 45....they will be the ones. Here is the contact info:

Technical Service
    [email protected]
    800-643-9878 Tel - Toll Free in USA
    and Canada

Jim

I still have not found the problem yet. I have called tech and they said it sounds like a air problem also. I have checked everything and the only leak I found is air coming out the top of the retaining cap. I changed retaining caps and o ring, but that did not help. I read somewhere that a little bit of air coming out there is normal. One tech guy said no air should be coming out there and another said maybe a little. Who is right? I can not remember if air came out there before or not. I put on my Powermax30 cap and it leaks out the top also. Can someone else check theirs and see if it leaks there or not. Jim?

Ryan

Any way to run a air line from your compressor to your final filter, bypass everything else and try it, maybe somethings clogged up. Just my 2 cents.

EDD

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardo View Post
    Any way to run a air line from your compressor to your final filter, bypass everything else and try it, maybe somethings clogged up. Just my 2 cents.

EDD

I hooked up a air nozzle after my final filter and I am getting plenty of volume.

There should be no noticeable leaks on a Powermax45 torch. Some of the earlier design powermax torches had a bit of a natural leak...not this one.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtoy302 View Post
    I still have not found the problem yet. I have called tech and they said it sounds like a air problem also. I have checked everything and the only leak I found is air coming out the top of the retaining cap. I changed retaining caps and o ring, but that did not help. I read somewhere that a little bit of air coming out there is normal. One tech guy said no air should be coming out there and another said maybe a little. Who is right? I can not remember if air came out there before or not. I put on my Powermax30 cap and it leaks out the top also. Can someone else check theirs and see if it leaks there or not. Jim?

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by jimcolt View Post
    There should be no noticeable leaks on a Powermax45 torch. Some of the earlier design powermax torches had a bit of a natural leak...not this one.

Jim

All Consumable parts are new and it still leaks. What do I do now?

Sure sounds like the torch may be the next item to replace.

Jim

I know this is an old thread but I'm having the exact same symptoms but my torch has no leaks. Seems everyday I have to slow my cutting speed down and crank the amps up more to cut properly. Anyway to check airflow at nozzle to verify if it's within specifications? Had to cut 3/16" mild steel at 60ipm today at 45 amps and still had one spot that didn't cut all the way through. Powermax 45 on cnc table with dthc and water bed with water below top of slats 1/4".

No water in lines Have water and debris filters.

Torch is only 4 months old....been on my table since day one.

If you cannot cut at the cut specifications (optimum cut speeds) as listed in the Hypertherm manual.....make sure the air pressure is set with air flowing at the torch (to do this turn the amperage knob fully counterclockwise), make sure the physical cut height (.06") is being maintained (adjust your arc voltage during cutting until height is at .06"). Make sure you are using the machine torch consumables....even if you are using a hand torch. If all of these specs are correct....and you still cannot meet the optimum speeds listed in the manual....swap out the torch parts one at a time...remember the retaining cap and swirl ring can wear out or become damaged over time as well.....these parts affect cut quality and speed.

With all new consumables.....all specs adjusted exactly as suggested in the manual....and the torch still will not achieve the specified speeds....then there most likely is an airf flow leak or restriction......could be in the torch leads or torch body. There is not any easy way to verify flow that I am aware of.

Jim Colt

I'm interested in finding out what is causing this problem, as I have a 45 also.
    My 2 cents, but would it be possible to damage the air line in the torch lead by stepping on it, or by accidently laying a sheet of steel across it?
    This may colapse the tube inside the lead, and reducing air pressure at the tip.
    Just a thought !!
    Dan

Yes...the internal hose in the cable-hose assembly could be damaged from kinking or crushing. 99 out of 100 times however the the problem with low air flow is related to debris that blows through your air system and gets stuck either at a fitting...or in the machined passages inside the torch body.

After you have exhausted all of the obvious easiest troubleshooting means as I listed in my previous message....then you should disassemble the torch from the leads and blow air in reverse through all the passages....do this with the leads as well. Often a piece of teflon tape, a piece of brass or copper or steel from pipe threads...or even particles from a saturated filter element...or pieces of dessicant from a dessicant dryer can be the culprit. Some Hypertherm units have internal filter / regulators....the element in that can be plugged as well....and can be replaced or cleaned.

Over time....thousands of cubic feet of air pass through an air plasma torch...it is very easy for the passages to become clogged if there is not a good particulate filter directly upstream from the plasma system..

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I'm interested in finding out what is causing this problem, as I have a 45 also.
    My 2 cents, but would it be possible to damage the air line in the torch lead by stepping on it, or by accidently laying a sheet of steel across it?
    This may colapse the tube inside the lead, and reducing air pressure at the tip.
    Just a thought !!
    Dan