586,807 active members*
8,121 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Well, I've discovered something that might be obvious to others but took me a while to work around.

I tried to blame Bill for the sloppy output of the PCnC machine, (and Lord knows there are all kinds of cheap construction in it!) But I have finally determined that all the lost steps and misalignment errors I was experiencing was due primarily to the under-powered PC I was using.

I had problems with smaller projects but could never see enough of the error to nail down what has happening. Then I tried a really big job, a file of the Mayan calendar, (misnamed Aztec, but available on this forum here: )

Vectric Forum • View topic - "BIG" Job....

The file produced a toolpath over 210,000 lines long! I've cut this file 3 times now. The first two times were an absolute mess, with dropped steps causing gross misalignment errors all over the place.

So I thought I'd try a hunch and upgrade the old Pentium III PC with it's 500Meg memory running XP to something a little more modern.

Well, yesterday I tried the calendar file for the 3rd time, and wouldn't you know? No alignment errors!

It didn't go any faster (still 9 hrs. to cut) but at least everything was in the proper place. So I'm happy to have resolved that.

Not that there still isn't a bunch of things that need fixin on the PCnC machine.

Is anyone still using their machine with a unmodified head assembly? I noticed that even though I had the head reinforced to eliminate flex, that the mounting plate that extends down that the router attaches to is still just a flat piece of metal, that flexes like a diving board when extended down and pushing the router along a deep cut in material.

Maybe I can replace it with something that has a right-angle bend in it for stiffness.

Progress is slow, but it is getting there.

Just so you all can find parts.... those so called "rubber belts" are called Timing Belts and can be purchased at McMaster-Carr in anysize either in circles or plain straight, and the correct size is to fit the PCNC machine is ....... "Trapezoidal-tooth Neoprene Belting, Xl Trade Size, .200" Pitch, 3/8" Width"

Quote Originally Posted by bdsorcic View Post
    Just so you all can find parts.... those so called "rubber belts" are called Timing Belts and can be purchased at McMaster-Carr in anysize either in circles or plain straight, and the correct size is to fit the PCNC machine is ....... "Trapezoidal-tooth Neoprene Belting, Xl Trade Size, .200" Pitch, 3/8" Width"
    Perfect! That's what I needed, Thanks bdsorcic!