586,094 active members*
3,799 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > Casting Metals > Where to buy supplies and crucible?!

Where to buy supplies and crucible?!

Where to buy a crucible!?

http://www.budgetcastingsupply.com/Crucibles.php

I located this site but have no clue if those are good or not.

I'm just getting into it so maybe if someone sells a bad ass kit that would help me out a lot..

Just bought a few how to books off amazon.

Help me out thanks!!...

(also need the tongs, fittings, gloves, mixing stick, whole 9 yards..)

http://www.foundry101.com/search.htm

Im going to go to this and pay $45 dollars and get some professional instruction!

Are his "kits" a good price? Maybe someone can take a peek for me. I will mainly want to do copper and aluminum. Is it much more money to have the capability to do steels?

Thanks..

Try Legends Mine Supply www.lmine.com, they have alot of stuff so you will have to poke around. They also sell furnace kits also and crucibles.
    DT

I have bought some stuff from Legand Mining, Never had any complaints.
    Foundry 101 is great instructional site. I made my own furnaces, for me, that was part of the fun.
    I've never bought anything from Budget. Their prices seem high, but factor in the free shipping and they aren't so bad.
    Decide what the largest pour you want to do to start, I wouldn't recommend over 10# of Aluminum. What kind of fuel you want to use. I used forced air propane and I've been working on some Used Moter oil burners that can put out a lot of heat for cheap.

I'm sure i will do small things here and there but i will start doing larger things as the addiction grows haha. Would it be beneficial to buy bigger, for future expansion? I'm sure i will end up doing some ridiculous things.

I have purchased an #A10 silicon carbide crucible from Budgetcasting and have no complaints as it arrived in 2 days on my doorstep.
    And yes, Paprjam has hit the nail on the head start with the amount of aluminum you want to work with, get or make a crucible and then design the furnace around that.
    This is where I am at, I have the crucible and have made the shell and have the burner components already to go and have secured alot of materials for the refractory mix.
    Good luck and happy building,
    DT

ps - check out www.backyardmetalcasting.com, use the forum there alot of knowledge.

I kind of threw together a small furnace to start out. It will melt about 5# Al. It's just a small freon tank I got from the HVAC guys at work.

I built a larger one from a water tank, it will do about 15# Al. I find I use the little one a lot and haven't fired the big one yet this year. This picture was when I was firing the refractory, I have since cleaned it up and put some wheels on it.

Not to hijack diyengineer's thread but what type of refractory mix did you use for your furnaces Paprjam? I mean is it a commercially available mix or did you mix your own?
    Thanks,
    DT

Hey DeadTom, I'm Jammer on the BYMC. I couldn't get that handle here.

I used a commercial refractory Mt Savage Superheatcrete 32, 3200 F castable. I found a local guy that sells it. Last I checked it was $50 a bag. This stuf is really tough and seems to hold up well.

http://www.mtsavage.com/PDF/Section%...0Castables.pdf

Hey Jammer/Paprjam,
    Very good information, Legends Mine is located right here in Reno they have a refractory mix called Refecrete KS-4 Plus Castable Refractory Cement at $47.80 per 50lb bag. I think I will pick up a couple of bags instead of wasting time and money on my attempt at a mix.
    So, where are you located on this wonderful rock spinning thorugh space?
    DT

edit: I found you with the BYMC google map, nice state. They still hold the Soapbox derby races in Akron?

try http://www.mgstevens.com/ Located in MA. we buy all our supplies there. B200 from them runs about $500

Quote Originally Posted by dingo0722 View Post
    try http://www.mgstevens.com/ Located in MA. we buy all our supplies there. B200 from them runs about $500
    Im a noob, what is a B200?

my bad, I should have been more specific. Silicon Carbide crucible, Bidge"B" shape that can hold 200 lbs of aluminum