586,058 active members*
4,553 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > What CAM Software Does Everyone Use??
Page 3 of 7 12345
    Whoa ... Ive spent less than 20mins with this program . Im in the dont know what im doing how do I start this program tutorial . Im only drawing circles cause thats what there asking me to do in the tutorial to get a feel for the program.
    But thanks for taking your time to show me that.

I looked at that and it hurt my head.

lol, keep working with it and it will get easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Arich0908 View Post
    Whoa ... Ive spent less than 20mins with this program . Im in the dont know what im doing how do I start this program tutorial . Im only drawing circles cause thats what there asking me to do in the tutorial to get a feel for the program.
    But thanks for taking your time to show me that.

I looked at that and it hurt my head.
    The SolidWorks tutorials are very good. Go through them slowly and make sure you learn what they are trying to teach. You can be "off and running" in only a few days if you can get through the tutorials well.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by mcphill View Post
    The SolidWorks tutorials are very good. Go through them slowly and make sure you learn what they are trying to teach. You can be "off and running" in only a few days if you can get through the tutorials well.
    After that I find the best way to learn is to download other peoples models and see the sequence of operations they used to make them. Making individual models is the easy part, it gets harder when you start writing macros to update dozens of parts in an assembly, or start using FEA which is the real strength of CAD. I would love for example to be able to analyze the mechanical advantage of a clamp but I can't find any decent tutorials, only $5000 weekend seminars for professionals.
    Would appreciate some tips on how to 'get to the next level' in solidworks!

My choices are driven by what the company I work for uses and what our customers use....

For generating G-Codes for our CNC table router, we use BobCAD v20, and find it does all we need it for well enough (2D profiles, etc....)

One program I've seen a demo of that I'm very interested in trying out is Enroute.

If your in it to make money, good software is worth what it cost you.

I'm fortunate to have access to these programs via. work for my hobby use.

Now lets say I was done with the picture I posted above.
    Would I then save that as a DXF and import it into Mach3 If that was the finished Piece I wanted to cut? Im sorry its so noobish but well thats what I am.

DXF is just a generic cad file, you need a CAM program to create toolpaths for the part you want to make. This can then be tuned into a G-code file that is used by Mach 3. I do not believe Solidworks will create G-code.

Am i missing something. I turn mach3 on.
    Go into file import DXF
    Load files blah blah blah ....
    Then it generates Gcode.
    I need to do more reading.
    All these programs wow ...I remember when I was happy to learn how to burn a DVD.
    This is what I get when I take a random DXF file from Solidworks and generate Gcode as said.

Edit Never Mind Like I said I have allot of reading to do .
    Please correct me the file goes from Lets say Solid Works to Edge cam the Mach3 correct. Edgecam is where the tool paths are done. SOLID WORKS IS WERE ITS CREATED.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot2.jpg  

Yes, EdgeCAM will create your G-code. that goes to Mach3.

I agree with Arich0908, everyone thinks that it is so great to build a CNC router
    then the reality sets in - It is darned difficult to select from all of the CAD and CAM software out there, and then you have to learn it. There seems to be literally hundreds of different software combinations that you can form.
    It boggles the mind. There must be an easier way for a noob like myself to choose a software package that works and doesn't take years to learn.
    I would like to see a poll on what software most noobs choose to get them started. What software combos are the best at making signs, engraving, 3D
    parts, etc. This is what we noobs need to know about, not how fast a Cam
    package will create a toolpath. I contacted Dolphin Partmaster because they seem to cater to hobbyists but I get the impression that they are fishing for what I am willing to pay. I feel like I am buying a used car. Is Partmaster good
    software for a noob trying to make signs, engraving and the occasional part?
    Thanks all who took the time to read all of this dribble!

Regards, Confused, Befuddled and I should never have built it.
    Regards, Carl

Quote Originally Posted by eaglezsoar View Post
    I agree with Arich0908, everyone thinks that it is so great to build a CNC router
    then the reality sets in - It is darned difficult to select from all of the CAD and CAM software out there, and then you have to learn it. There seems to be literally hundreds of different software combinations that you can form.
    It boggles the mind. There must be an easier way for a noob like myself to choose a software package that works and doesn't take years to learn.
    I would like to see a poll on what software most noobs choose to get them started. What software combos are the best at making signs, engraving, 3D
    parts, etc. This is what we noobs need to know about, not how fast a Cam
    package will create a toolpath. I contacted Dolphin Partmaster because they seem to cater to hobbyists but I get the impression that they are fishing for what I am willing to pay. I feel like I am buying a used car. Is Partmaster good
    software for a noob trying to make signs, engraving and the occasional part?
    Thanks all who took the time to read all of this dribble!

Regards, Confused, Befuddled and I should never have built it.
    From Attention Newbies!

New to CNC?

CNC is cool but it's not magic. YOU have to know how to machine a part before you can tell the software how to do it.
    Refer to Bob Warfields CNC Dictionary to get a leg up before attempting to jump into CNC.
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCDictionary.htm
    Learn what G-Code is and what each code does. CAM software (Computer Aided Manufacturing) will make life easier but
    you still must learn the codes so that you can edit or write your programs.
    The CNC Programming Handbook, Third Edition by Peter Smid is a great comprehensive guide.
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Handbook-Third-Peter-Smid/dp/0831133473/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235881817&sr=1-1"]http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Handbook-Third-Peter-Smid/dp/0831133473/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235881817&sr=1-1[/ame]
    CNCInformation.com has an e-course you can sign up for free to learn the basics of CNC.
    http://www.cncinformation.com/SP1.htm
    As mentioned, CAM software is very beneficial, almost mandatory for some parts.
    CAD (Computer Aided Design) is used to design your part and usually outputs a full scale dxf file that most CAM programs can use to
    generate a toolpath (g-code) to machine your part. Some software is packaged as CAD/CAM and can do it all at once.
    There are MANY to choose from that range from FREE to tens of thousands of dollars.
    Hobbyist don't need the capabilities of the high end programs. I have links to several programs that I've tried that are either free or
    very reasonable at less than $1000, some very fine programs are only a few hundred.
    I'd suggest you download and try them all, most are free to Try before you Buy.
    It's important to pick a program that makes sense to YOU and not force yourself into using something that others find appealing.
    Install the program and run though a couple of the tutorials that are either included with the software or available for download from their site.
    http://www.hossmachine.info/links.html
    Once you find something you like, you can get help, tips or samples from forums on Yahoo.com or CNCZone.com
    CAD software forum
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=404
    CAM software forum
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=5

Vetrics Cut2D and Cut3D are very newbie friendly.
    Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

Here is a quick explination of the revolve feature in Solidworks for the newbies eager to learn. I'm sure most other CAD software is similar.

I use revolve for pretty much all cylindrical parts I model. Once you learn it you'll love it, trust me. It keeps your design tree small because one feature pretty much creates the part.

The first step is to draw half of the part as if you were looking at it from a section view.

Notice the dotted center line. This tells Solidworks that is the axis you want to revolve around. You can physically draw a center line or use a regular line and when your all done with the drawing click the line and hit the "Construction Geometry" button. Another way is just to draw the line as normal and then in the dialog box for the revolve feature select the box "Axis of Revoluton" and click the center line of the drawing. Any three of these methods works fine.

Once you select the center line to revolve around it generates a temporary model as seen with the shaded black. (Your color may be different)

You can see the drawing in the temporary model and what is going to create.

And then all you need to do is hit the green check mark and your done. Simple.

Now to finish this part according to the print I would have to put a bolt circle on the bottom of the part. That leaves two features in my design tree. Much easier then having a bunch of Extrudes and Extrude Cuts. There is more then one way to skin a cat, but for me, this is the easiest for cylindrical parts.

Hope this helps...

~Scott

Am i missing something. I turn mach3 on.
    Go into file import DXF
    Load files blah blah blah ....
    Then it generates Gcode.
    Mach3 hasn't had the File >Import .dxf option for several years. It was removed and replaced with LazyCAM.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Mach3 hasn't had the File >Import .dxf option for several years. It was removed and replaced with LazyCAM.
    My version has it maybe I need to be looking for a later version.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot3.jpg  

Eagle I have used Dolphin Partmaster for a little over 2 years and quite honestly it has done wonders for me. I have alway said its underpriced as it can do so much more than what the price tag shows. If I ever run into a problem where I need to do some complicated 3D work, I use Surfcam. It's got a very hefty price tag on it tho.

Now lets say I was done with the picture I posted above.
    Would I then save that as a DXF and import it into Mach3 If that was the finished Piece I wanted to cut? Im sorry its so noobish but well thats what I am.
    Nope, no where near that easy. You could use BobCAM within SolidWorks (it is an add-in) to create your CAM program. A CAM program is a list of commands that one by one instruct MACH3 what to do. These files are ONLY text! There is no drawing/geometry at all. Here is an example:

%
    O100 (PROGRAM NUMBER)
    (PROGRAM NAME - 7 - 135 FINISH.NC)
    (POST - HAAS VF)
    (DATE - MON. 05/31/2010)
    (TIME - 05:53PM)

N01 G00 G17 G40 G49 G80
    N02 G20
    N03 G90
    N04 G91 G28 Z0.
    N05 G91 G28 X0. Y0.

(FIRST CUT - FIRST TOOL)
    (JOB 3 CONTOUR)
    (IM FINISH)

(TOOL #1 0.5 ENDMILL ROUGH)
    N06 T1 M06
    N07 G90 G54 X12.9246 Y0.6081 M05
    N08 G43 H1 Z1.1 M08
    N09 Z-1.2
    N10 G01 Z-1.9
    N11 Y-0.9419
    N12 X12.0996
    N13 Y0.6081
    N14 X12.9246
    N15 G00 Z1.1
    N16 X16.4746 Y-0.9419
    N17 Z-1.2
    N18 G01 Z-1.9
    N19 Y0.6081
    N20 X17.2996
    N21 Y-0.9419
    N22 X16.4746
    N23 G00 Z1.1
    N24 X7.7246
    N25 Z-1.2
    N26 G01 Z-1.9
    N27 Y0.6081
    N28 X8.5496
    N29 Y-0.9419
    N30 X7.7246
    N31 G00 Z1.1
    N32 X3.3496
    N33 Z-1.2
    N34 G01 Z-1.9
    N35 Y0.6081
    N36 X4.1746
    N37 Y-0.9419
    N38 X3.3496
    N39 G00 Z1.1
    N40 M09
    N41 M05
    N42 G91 G28 Z0.
    N43 M01

(NEXT CUT - NEXT TOOL)
    (JOB 3 CONTOUR)
    (IM FINISH)

(TOOL #1ENDMILL FINISH)
    N44 T1 M06
    N45 G90 G54 X12.9246 Y0.6081 S6000 M03
    N46 G43 H1 Z1.1 M08
    N47 G00 Z-1.2
    N48 G01 Z-1.9 F50.
    N49 Y-0.9419 F125.
    N50 X12.0996
    N51 Y0.6081
    N52 X12.9246
    N53 G00 Z1.1
    N54 X16.4746 Y-0.9419
    N55 Z-1.2
    N56 G01 Z-1.9 F50.
    N57 Y0.6081 F125.
    N58 X17.2996
    N59 Y-0.9419
    N60 X16.4746
    N61 G00 Z1.1
    N62 X7.7246
    N63 Z-1.2
    N64 G01 Z-1.9 F50.
    N65 Y0.6081 F125.
    N66 X8.5496
    N67 Y-0.9419
    N68 X7.7246
    N69 G00 Z1.1
    N70 X3.3496
    N71 Z-1.2
    N72 G01 Z-1.9 F50.
    N73 Y0.6081 F125.
    N74 X4.1746
    N75 Y-0.9419
    N76 X3.3496
    N77 G00 Z1.1
    N78 M09
    N79 M05
    N80 G91 G28 Z0.
    N81 G91 G28 Y0.
    N82 T1 M06
    N83 M02

(END OF FILE)
    (END OF PROGRAM)

N84 M30
    %
    Learning the CAD and CAM steps needed to "drive" a CNC machine are where 90%+ of the work are. If you don't have really good computer skils, I can only wish you all the best. I had never used a CAM program before 5-6 months ago, but now I think I can program anything I need to on a full 3-axis machine. I haven't done lathe work, or 4th/5th axis work, but they are certainly on the "to do" list.

IMO I think that you should be able to program long hand before you use CAM software. In certain instances a post processor from the CAM software will post certain things you may not want in your program or vise versa. Certain Gcodes, or Mcodes etc.. For example I use G28 for my tool change position, which can be set to whatever you want in Mach. I use MasterCam with the basic Mach post processor and it doesn't put any G28's in the program. You have to manually insert them. Now you can make your own post processor to do what ever you want but that's another can of worms. If you don't know the fundamentals of programming manually, it may be very confusing and you may get unexpected results.

Once you get the basic idea of how a program operates and what does what, the rest comes easy.

~Scott

Mcphil: That is very organized program, is that from BobCAM?

Quote Originally Posted by mcphill View Post
    Nope, no where near that easy. You could use BobCAM within SolidWorks.
    Ive read to many bad things bout bobcam allot of bad. Realisticly the only good ive read is the price tag. It seems every one starts off with Bob and if they use another program well thats it there done with Mr. bob.
    Im not just saying this search your self and look for a user who used more than just Bob cad cam. Its unbelievable how many unhappy costumers they have. I have a copy and I dont even want to use it.
    Ive been learning edge cam and read something bout it going with solid works also. Im pretty set on using the combo I have now. Im new to this so im not going to try and learn 5 different programs at once it will discourage me. Thats me though.

I also have solid edge ,
    once I get the other two figured out im going to give that a shot.

Im great with computer work,
    And my computer well I dont like to brag but its few months old with AMDs top 64bit AM3 quad core processor 8mb of ddr3 ram and 2.5 terabyte
    (2500 gigabytes) hard drive. Mounted on a 38 in LCD with High def vid and audio on windows7. It can handle anything thrown at it. Im very pleased with it.
    This was my dream computer I built myself so Im very computer friendly and know more than most. The price tag if you could believe it with the 38in LCD was over 2200. I hope I wont need another PC for a long time. My last one lasted 7 years.
    It will be running my CNC amongst other things.
    Its all backed up daily on a hard drive set specifically to erase what was stored the day prior and rewrite a copy of my hard drive.

Im pretty confident in time ill figure out Cad Cam process. If you want something bad enough you can always do it.

Doublecad xt
    HeeksCNC
    EMC2

love free software....:rainfro:

Page 3 of 7 12345