586,842 active members*
3,210 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Drill Press Tapping Conversion

Drill Press Tapping Conversion

I've started a new thread on this because I don't want to hijack the thread where I was asked to share some more information about this tool.

What I have done is convert a small Rockwell Drill Press to a power tapping machine. I got the idea from the following thread, but decided to add power to the mix.

http://homepage3.nifty.com/amigos/ta...ng_stand-e.htm

I determined to tackle the issues of: Torque, Speed Control, Reversing, Compression/Extension, & Tap holding.

Short of disassembling my machine, I can't show any pictures of the compression/extension set-up but I can say (at least on the Rockwell) it was a simple matter of taking the spindle apart and adding a couple springs to the mix. There was no machining necessary for this to be done.

I happened to have a 12v 1/4hp DC motor laying around with an inexpensive speed control that I had purchased at a yard sale. I also had a transformer that was reclaimed out of an old battery charger. I purchased an Antec rectifier/capacitor unit from ebay and now had: Power Supply, Speed Control & Motor. Reversing was easily handled with 12v relays and a two-way foot switch found also on ebay.

For more torque, I knew that Rockwell had offered some of their drill presses in both high speed & low speed models. The low speed model was identical to the high except for a larger step pulley on the spindle. Another quick search on the bay also turned up a large pulley and that handled the torque issue.

I wrestled for a while with tap holding .. Thinking I would have to grip the tap at the square shank to keep it from spinning I first tried one of the Irwin tap adapters, but didn't care for the sloppiness it introduced. One day needing to tap several small holes I decided to just install a new chuck I had on the shelf and see if I could get my job done. It worked perfectly! .. In fact I've since tapped holes up to 1/2-20 in 3/16 steel angle with this set up.

I can not provide a wiring schematic because I am not trained in Electrical or Electronics and I will not be responsible for anyone's results other than my own .. Truthfully, I just bungle my way through this stuff with trial & error .. (read that as releasing the magic smoke now & then) I'm sure there are well qualified individuals on the zone that could provide a wiring schematic for PROPERLY accomplishing what I've done here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1030200.JPG   P1030196.JPG   P1030202.JPG   P1030197.JPG  

P1030199.JPG   P1030187.JPG  

Hey that's pretty cool. Rohm chucks rock!

Very nice! Thanks for sharing this.

bob