586,102 active members*
3,280 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Tornado 200

Page 1 of 2 12

Tornado 200

Just picked up a used Tornado 200 from a running shop. We are ready to power it up and one of the manuals says to check phase of wiring. Is this unit phase dependant perhaps to drive a hydraulic motor the proper direction? The manuals I have do not cover this topic.
    Thanks,
    Tim

I have Clausing storm 80 the hydraulics are phase dependent . On mine the fan cover for the hydraulic motor has has a red arrow sticker indcating with way the motor should turn. Stick a piece of paper in the fan and power up the machine then you can tell witch way the fan is turning. If its wrong it will shortly trip a breaker and throw up an alarm.

Also behind my machine not sure on yours theres a panel on the bottom next to the coolant tank . Behind it there is a transformer it has setting for different voltages 220, 230,250, 480, set it to your voltage.
    Tim

Thanks, I found the arrow on the fan this morning and checked rotation, its ok. Unit was connected to 240 3ph which I have. I turned the control on and I get the Not Ready error, 401 VDRY velocity drive off error, lost pressure error, and turret overheat error. Reset doesn not clear any of them. I tried contacting the prev owner but he was not available. Hyd fluid shows up on the dip stick, but at the very bottom. The hyd do not come on when I push the control ON button. There is a relay that kicks in when I push the ON button, but turns right off when I release it, so that tells me there is another fault somewhere I need to clear. I am by myself and have no elec schem so I can't see what relay / unit is coming on when I have the ON button depressed.

Thanks,
    Tim

I don't know what to tell you on that one . Have any of your breakers in the cabnet tripped. Tuesday call Clausing they have always helped me.
    Clausing service 1-513-745-2222.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...t=61856&page=2
    http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...m-help-123943/
    Tim

Hey thanks for the links, I have not been on the PM forum lately. I am going to run through the basics on incoming power just to eliminate that. We did move the machine from another location and I checked the boards and connections. I did not remove and re-seat any boards, just pushed them a bit. I've got the service number and contact from prev owner, but normal people are on vacation right now......
    Thanks again,
    Tim

Needle in the haystack

Talked with Clausing tech sup today and he said it was like finding a needle in the haystack....So, prev owner stopped by yesterday and said hyd pump is not coming on. He switched positions of three relays behind the panel disconnect but that did not help. Power comes into the main 100 amp disconnect and goes from there to a contactor K10 and to the transformer under the bed. The main contactor is not coming on and I can not see the ID numbers on the transformer under the bed to see how it is connected.
    When I turn the power switch on at the door, K13 contactor closes. This runs to the motor that has a belt to the spindle. The fan on the end of the motor runs. When I check power on leads UWV to this motor, I get no reading. Zero. No AC, no DC. How does the fan run? Contactor K10 is not on. This is the main contactor under the 100 amp breaker. When we push the green control power button on the control panel we get 1022 Turret overheating, 1027 Pressure lost, and 401 Vdry (off). The power supply module has the -- not ready bars, the Spindle Amp has flashing -- bars, and the Servo Amp has --not ready bars. I did remove the back covers and manually moved the spindle and slide back and forth a bit. I have not been able to manually move the turret yet. Any ideas?

Have you got the serial number please?

SN

Serial Number is: C20031
    No. C20031/00030
    Wiring Diagram: C2-050

So it's a Mk I Tornado 200.

The most likely fault is a failed E-Stop module. Part number XT-0007 which you can obtain from Clausing's Spares Department.

E Stop

That would make sense, because the power is not coming on to the system. The E-Stop button registers on the control screen when it is activated and de-activated, would that still make sense? Is there an ID # for this module in the cabinet? Thanks for the reply, I am waiting on a call back from Tech Support and I will ask them about the module availability.

The E-Stop module is A81 mounted on the magnetics panel A8.

I can't be 100% sure, but experience tells me it's most likely.

E-Stop

I found a circuit board mounted behind the main door panel disconnect labeled E-Stop Module. This is where the owner said to swap out the 3 relays. He stated that they were new relays. This whole board w/relays or just the relays need to be replaced?

The 600 Group are only able to supply the whole assembly. I would expect it to be one of the relays which has failed.

You will notice that only channels one and two are used. Channels three and four are unused, you could try rewiring the connector to use the redundant channels.

E Stop channels

Currently Red 60 & 61 are on channel #1
    Blue 35 & 29A are on Channel #2
    To test I could re-wire Ch 1 to Ch 3 and Ch 2 to Ch 4, correct?

No Go

Re-wired E-Stop board from Ch1 to Ch3 and Ch 2 to Ch 4. No change upon start up, same 3 errors. Any ideas now?
    Thanks,
    HMC710

Hi HMC , We have a machine like yousr down here, so here's my suggestions:

When this E-stop boards fails you can be sure if the power on the machine stays on as long as you keep pressed the green button , you can even send all axis to home posit. , have you tried this ?

Hey cncatj, thanks for the reply. I have held the green start button on for a bit but I did not want to do any damage. Yes, things come on when I hold the button and shut off when I release it. I have not looked to see what relays / starters come on while I hold the button in but we can check tomorrow when I have another guy here. What would be the procedure, I am brand new on this machine. Thanks

Also the 3 relays on that , A8 board are :
    POTTER BRUMFIELD R10-EX6 - V430 24 VDC
    hope this helps !!

HMc , check this also:
    The crash sensor mounted on the base of the turret , is activated ?
    is a plunger swithch
    Normally it has not to be !!
    so first of all make 100 percent sure it's not activated

relays

Prev owner said they were all "brand new" and we switched positions with them then tried ch 3&4 also. Frustrating bringing in a running mach that does not run..... Should I just go ahead and change our the relays or the whole board as was suggested earlier to eliminate that possibility?

Page 1 of 2 12