586,042 active members*
3,796 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Shoptask Or Not ????

I'm Looking At Buying A Shoptask. I'm A Machinist By Trade And I Want To Know How Satisfied Shoptask Owners Are Of Their Machines? I Am Wondering From A Machinist's Stand-point And A General Users Stand-point. What Percentage Rating Would You Give It Overall. Does It Handle Heavy Cuts Well? Using A 3/4 Rougher End Mill, Can You Slam Through Steel 1/2" In Depth Or Does It Rattle To Pcs? Please Note Modifications Made And Other Problems!

Thanks !

Hi David...
    Well having talked with you on the phone, and given you my general satisfaction with the machine I should just encourage anyone else to offer their opinions here and help you gain more info for making an informed decision.

Bloy

No it cannot do that, at best it is a Light industrial machine. Cutting with a 3/4" Carbide coated Mill in steel (don't know what type you are cutting). But on average with a 3/4" bit and coolent you could cut at 0.5" depth, but your feed would be about 1-2" per minute depending on spindle speed as well. If I had to rate it in comparison to lets say the Old tried and true Bridgemill Vertical knee, it would have about 1/3-1/2 the cutting performance. Having said all of that though, for what it is designed for, (Hobbie/home use), it does very well, I have CNC'ed mine, and if you keep the cuts with in it's performance envolope it does very well indeed. I will be upgrading to 2hp DC moters from the (chinese therorectical 1hp) motors that come on the machine. I think one I, (and if you get one, you), upgrade to American made true 1-2HP motors then you can probably get the type of cutting you are speaking of. It helps to do the 5th Arm stabilizing mod that "Bloy", spoke of to increase machine ridgity, and cut down on chatter on heavier cuts.

Look at the part size max envolope as well, if you need larger than that you would be better off with a "true", industrial grade mill.

The Table that comes with the machine is also a Main culprit in machine "Rattle/chatter", it is not very stable at all, you would do well to re-inforce it well, or make your own.

Again though for the price I paid, and the perforamance I got, I have no complaints, it does make good cuts. Once you get everything adjusted, you can obtain accuracy to about 0.001", but not much better than that (repeatable).

I am considering redisigning the Mill head trolley so I can raise the mill head higher, the machine could really use another 6-12" of Z heigth, but to do so will require some major re-inforcing to elimanate deflection.

Pop off a question or 2 to "Bloy", he is well experienced in Shoptask mods.

S.