586,070 active members*
3,649 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > CNC Router-20"x20"x4" Build or buy machine?

CNC Router-20"x20"x4" Build or buy machine?

Hi there i am new to this website but already browsed through alot of info.
    i am interested in building/buying a cnc router machine with about 20"x20"x4" travel, not important but around that size.
    will be machining wood,plastic and maybe aluminium. I have serched on the net and there are alot of diy and kitset cnc but i am interested in some advise. Like everyone i would like to do it on the cheap.

Cheers, Craig
    New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by cbstephenson View Post
    Hi there i am new to this website but already browsed through alot of info.
    i am interested in building/buying a cnc router machine with about 20"x20"x4" travel, not important but around that size.
    will be machining wood,plastic and maybe aluminium. I have serched on the net and there are alot of diy and kitset cnc but i am interested in some advise. Like everyone i would like to do it on the cheap.

Cheers, Craig
    New Zealand
    Craig, the first thing to do is define "cheap!" The next thing is look at plans and kits and see what is available at your price point, and you may have to adjust your price or expectations... and abilities. Do you own or have access to tools, or must you rent shop time or farm out work?

Speaking of time - it doesn't get mentioned often, since a lot here do this out of hobby, passion, or both. One should also weigh the cost of time in planning, ordering, building, and tunung, versus a more expedient approach of buying a kit or ready-made platform. Even a kit takes a good deal of time for assembly and tuning.

Check out my build- and note the dates. I would say I have put an easy grand into my machine and I am not even close to done yet. Just made her first cut tonight and I am months into it.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103069

crane550/louieatienza - thanks for the link to your build. looks like it is coming along well.
    will look into more. i feel the physical build of the project will not be a problem as i am a fitter/turner/machinist with full access to a work shop but i may struggle with the computer/programing side of things as i have no real experience with that stuff? how hard is it to learn?
    would consider maybe buying a complete unit ready to go if i could find something around that size for under 2000 USD. although saying that living in new zealand may be quite expensive to freight to?

Any links and advice would be most appreciated.

Cheers
    craig