586,655 active members*
3,680 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Egg Bot type machine.

Hi all,
    Sorry if this is in the wrong section, but it didn't fit anywhere very well.

At the beginning of the year I was going to get an X2 from HF but I decided to wait for the SX2 from Little Machine Shop, and unfortunately I'll have to wait a little longer before I can do that.

Anyways, in the mean time i'd like to get my feet wet with CNC by building an egg bot type machine to use on golf balls for identification.

I'm using this article as my go by, http://www.taomc.com/bits2bots/index.htm

From what I can tell, I just need 2 stepper motors, drivers, and a breakout board and power supply, but, I'm having a little trouble finding electronics that aren't ridiculously more than I want to spend, or ridiculously over kill power-wise.

I understand the concept of motion control with stepper motors, but my electronics IQ isn't extensive. I've done plenty of wiring on 12V car systems but this is a little different. I'd like to get some of the components already assembled, but I don't mind putting a kit together either. I just don't know where to find what I need.

I thought I'd be able to find a 3 axis kit with motors and controller etc, but everything that I am seeing is $200-$400.

I welcome any ideas and opinions, Thank you.

-James

You may want to look into wiring your own drives. That is where a lot of us got started. The allegro 5804b chip is pretty easy to wire and for something like an egg bot will be just fine. For motors, just find an old printer, or pic up some cheap steppers on ebay.

I think that your wanting to do something simple like the egg bot is a great way to get your feet wet with out breaking the bank. My first cnc router used drawer slides for linear bearings, 1/4-20 all thread for lead screws and motor drives that I wired myself from some diagram I found online. It used three chips per drive and I swear it took me three days of soldering to get it working. But the first time I was able to make a motor move with a computer was pure joy and it made all the work worth it.

Keep us posted on your progress, Now get to work!

I just looked at the website to see that little machine. Very cute, I may have to make something like that. I am kind of thinking a a gimbal to go inside my laser.. I wonder what the heck I will use it for... awe who cares, I still plan on making one.

In fact, I think that it will make a good lesson for the older boys I have (13 and 14) They really need to start learning that you don't have to buy everything you want. Much of it can be easily made if you are just willing to apply some basic knowledge and get off your butt.

Anywho, the reason why I am chiming back in is that website really had everything you needed to know about making your own motor drive and hooking it up to a pc. A great motion controller that is free is Ubuntu EMC2 it is a free download and is well worth the cost. Download the ISO burn it to disk and load it onto a spare computer, or do a dual boot from your main computer if you don't have a spare.
    http://www.linuxcnc.org/content/view/21/4/lang,en/

If all you have is an old old old computer laying around you can also use turbo cnc, which is shareware. I used it for quite a long time before I was mach2 came out.

Now you can get to work.... and before you know it you will be up and running with a garage full of machines.

Ugh,
    I hate to give up before I even start, but I think I'm in over my head. The theory of it all makes sense to me, but I just don't know enough enough about electronics. The more I study it the less sense it makes. Supposedly, there is an egg-bot kit coming out this summer from http://egg-bot.com/ That's more like my level at this point.

What do you do with the eggs when there done?
    Eat them?
    I bet you could make a fortune at Easter time.

Yeah, the idea is to draw on them with pens. I was going to use it on golf balls to monogram them for easy Identification. Really you can use it on anything that is round and will fit in the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by jimdaug View Post
    Ugh,
    I hate to give up before I even start, but I think I'm in over my head. The theory of it all makes sense to me, but I just don't know enough enough about electronics. The more I study it the less sense it makes. Supposedly, there is an egg-bot kit coming out this summer from http://egg-bot.com/ That's more like my level at this point.
    I understand the your feeling of being overwhelmed but really this stuff isn't that tough. You really don't need to know much to wire up the 5804 chip, it is pretty straight forward. Just order a few of them up, give it a try, if you get stuck just post a question on the forum. Once you get your first motor working you will be amazed at the ideas that pop into your head for stuff to make and you will be able to make it! Also another reason is chicks dig guys that can make stuff....

You can do it!

That looks like something fun to make with those extra stepper motors you might have laying around.